Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse my ignorance if this has previously been discussed, but I could not find a similar case.
I live in Europe and have a 2013 model S, P85. The battery recently «died» and Tesla have confirmed they will replace it with a refurbished 85 battery free of charge since it is 1 month left of the warranty time. Question: I asked Tesla to provide me a quote for upgrade cost in order for them to install a brand new battery instead of a refurbished(that would need to be a 90 battery as the 85 is no longer produced). Answer from Tesla was that they do not support this upgrade option. Tesla recently have started to quote pricing for out of warranty prices and logically I would have expected an upgrade cost to approx equal the difference between a «new» refurbished battery and a brand new battery….
Anyone who knows what the practice is in the US on this, or have heard of a similar case? Is there a US pricelist somewhere?

I don’t think Tesla upgrades batteries in the US or anywhere else. It’s more involved than just swapping in a larger battery. If you really need a larger battery, I suggest selling your P85 after Tesla replaces the battery and buy a used Tesla with the battery size you want.

Or bro, you can just hit up one if these garages that work on teslas like wk07 garage . They do battery upgrades
OP is in Norway I'm sure electrified garage and wk07 aren't going to be an ideal option.

Please excuse my ignorance if this has previously been discussed, but I could not find a similar case.
I live in Europe and have a 2013 model S, P85. The battery recently «died» and Tesla have confirmed they will replace it with a refurbished 85 battery free of charge since it is 1 month left of the warranty time. Question: I asked Tesla to provide me a quote for upgrade cost in order for them to install a brand new battery instead of a refurbished(that would need to be a 90 battery as the 85 is no longer produced). Answer from Tesla was that they do not support this upgrade option. Tesla recently have started to quote pricing for out of warranty prices and logically I would have expected an upgrade cost to approx equal the difference between a «new» refurbished battery and a brand new battery….
Anyone who knows what the practice is in the US on this, or have heard of a similar case? Is there a US pricelist somewhere?
I'd just take the refurb pack and then sell your car if you need more range. They are only required to replace it with a unit similar to the range/mileage as its replacing. They will likely sell you a 'new' pack but people on forums have been quoted $22k USD. Thats likely the only 'upgrade' they will offer.

There is a 'new' 85 battery that has 100 chemistry and has about 89 kwh of capacity. Tesla relabeled the battery as a 90 a few months back.. That is probably what OP is asking for. My recommendation is to take whatever you can get under warranty. Any upgrade will not be given credit under warranty coverage anyways - that's how Tesla has handled similar requests (MCU eg)

Reactions: KyleDay
Except TS is located in Norway!
The garage of wk07 is not really around the corner and shipping would be expensive.
OP is in Norway I'm sure electrified garage and wk07 aren't going to be an ideal option.

I'd just take the refurb pack and then sell your car if you need more range. They are only required to replace it with a unit similar to the range/mileage as its replacing. They will likely sell you a 'new' pack but people on forums have been quoted $22k USD. Thats likely the only 'upgrade' they will offer.
My fault i did not see the norway part

this is thread on the new 85kwh, which is actually a 90kwh battery pack

Hi gents, I am impressed with the engagement and knowledge. Very helpful most of your answers.
A few answers/comments:
- according to Tesla they are making 90 battery that could fit. And they have come with pricing (very high, similar to US pricing buying new battery). In Norway there is a law that says that one will get 5 year «warrantyl on a new battery).
- thanks for link to 85 thread
- yes will sell model S with new refurbished battery, have just received my model Y.
Conclusion: naive of me to hope that Tesla would install a brand new battery instead of refurb and then I could pay the price diff between the 2.
Regarding Tesla’s business practice; There will most likely be a court case over here because of the lowered charge speed that many experienced after a SW upgrade on model S a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to follow. I experienced severely lowered charge speed myself. I believe the law over here protects the consumer more than in the US. Not sure…

There may be more to it than just increasing the capacity. My 75D charges slower and operates on a lower voltage than the same year 100D. That accounts for the difference in performance. I don’t know but suspect that if I wanted to put a 100KW battery in mine that there would be issues with the difference in voltage.

There may be more to it than just increasing the capacity. My 75D charges slower and operates on a lower voltage than the same year 100D. That accounts for the difference in performance. I don’t know but suspect that if I wanted to put a 100KW battery in mine that there would be issues with the difference in voltage.
The voltage difference can be reprogrammed and shouldn't cause a problem.
You'll have to change the suspension though, to accommodate for the extra weight of the battery.