Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Upgrade Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade the capacity of the Model X battery, and range of the car. I have a 2016 October built car with,(I am guessing here based on DOM), the older 18650 type, model 90D. I have been reading upgrade the 20% density upgrade of the the more recent 2170 battery and was wondering if maybe the newer baerties could be fitted or if a higher density 18650 battery may exist that would allow a 20% increase in range?

Reactions: emchen
Does anyone know if its possible to upgrade the capacity of the Model X battery, and range of the car. I have a 2016 October built car with,(I am guessing here based on DOM), the older 18650 type, model 90D. I have been reading upgrade the 20% density upgrade of the the more recent 2170 battery and was wondering if maybe the newer baerties could be fitted or if a higher density 18650 battery may exist that would allow a 20% increase in range?

All Model X (and S) use the 18650 cells. The 2170 is used in the Model 3 and Y (so far) only. The car is designed around the size and shape of the battery cells. I doubt there will be a change without a major design change. The number only represents the physical dimensions of the cell, 18 x 65 mm vs 21 x 70 mm. The number by itself, does not infer anything about the chemistry or capacity of the cells.

The internal volume of the 2170 is 25% greater than the 18650, so increased energy content of the 2170 would be expected, even with no change in chemistry. I am not a battery expert, but I would expect a physically larger cell might provide a higher maximum current per cell, possibly yielding higher performance.

Last edited:

Short answer is, "no, at least not in the near future, and not for anything anyone would currently spend" (it would likely be cheaper to trade your car in and take that money and put it toward a new X than it would be to try to have someone hack yours (and likely ensure that tesla would not support it for repairs).

Always good to ask the question though. From a 100% environmental standpoint, it would be better to upgrade the battery when it's possible to do so than to buy a whole new automobile just for a different battery. At some point, all the Teslas on the road now are going to need new batteries. From what I've read, they are only projected to last about 300,000 miles on average - with many owners far exceeding this projection. The thing to do is to see what the options are at the time you decide your batteries simply don't meet your needs anymore. I'm guessing you will likely be able to a) buy exact replacement batteries brand new, b) buy rebuilt batteries that are just like your current ones except with new components (cheaper than new batteries), or maybe c) buy a battery with newer technology, which would mean either more range, lighter weight, or less expensive. Battery technology is advancing by leaps and bounds - like Moore's Law. I'm waiting on the technology to bring the price down for a battery for my home solar array.

Reactions: gangzoom
Possible? Yes.
A smart idea financially? No.

It would be more cost effective to trade in and get a newer Model X.

If Tesla really believe in their mission statement of 'sustainable transport' battery upgrades/retrofits for older cars have to be a factory option.

However if Tesla's mission statement is just another con like FSD than you will be right.

If Tesla really believe in their mission statement of 'sustainable transport' battery upgrades/retrofits for older cars have to be a factory option.

However if Tesla's mission statement is just another con like FSD than you will be right.
Well I can tell you then that they do not believe in their mission if that’s your criteria.

Try sticking a 100kWh battery into an older 60/75/85 vehicle.

Let’s also keep in mind they have been making vehicles for over 10 years now and still don’t offer any real support when it comes to battery swaps that aren’t under warranty.

Reactions: P85_DA

there's a lot more to it than simply a higher capacity battery. The increased battery weight changes the parameters for testing for collisions. In other words, the 100 has a completely different criteria with the nhtsb then does the 85 or 90. it's simply not that simple. Additionally most Tesla cars get bought by somebody who can't afford a new one and therefore are still used for many many years. I was the second owner of a model S, although it did only have 38,000 miles on it. It's got 217000 miles on it now. Clearly they go a long time! I'm not sure about 300,000 miles. Kind of hope not as I hope the battery dies before my warranty goes out. :)

Always good to ask the question though. From a 100% environmental standpoint, it would be better to upgrade the battery when it's possible to do so than to buy a whole new automobile just for a different battery. At some point, all the Teslas on the road now are going to need new batteries. From what I've read, they are only projected to last about 300,000 miles on average - with many owners far exceeding this projection. The thing to do is to see what the options are at the time you decide your batteries simply don't meet your needs anymore. I'm guessing you will likely be able to a) buy exact replacement batteries brand new, b) buy rebuilt batteries that are just like your current ones except with new components (cheaper than new batteries), or maybe c) buy a battery with newer technology, which would mean either more range, lighter weight, or less expensive. Battery technology is advancing by leaps and bounds - like Moore's Law. I'm waiting on the technology to bring the price down for a battery for my home solar array.

The snag with this idea people will replace batteries in the future when they were out is that it is pure delusion to believe the cars will be worthwhile at 200-300k.
The rest of it is just another car and not a particularly well built one and despite the delusions around here lots of ICE do live to 200k+ until they need repairs that aren't worth the hassle which isn't necessarily the engine. Could be rusty brake lines or electrical gremlins, transmission whatever.

Oh and most here ignore things like the 40amp onboard charger from the early S being a $2200 repair, no idea what the later chargers cost but that sort of thing is going to scrap Teslas same as any ICE that just get to not be worth the hassle.

• Love
Reactions: glide
The snag with this idea people will replace batteries in the future when they were out is that it is pure delusion to believe the cars will be worthwhile at 200-300k.
The rest of it is just another car and not a particularly well built one and despite the delusions around here lots of ICE do live to 200k+ until they need repairs that aren't worth the hassle which isn't necessarily the engine. Could be rusty brake lines or electrical gremlins, transmission whatever.

Oh and most here ignore things like the 40amp onboard charger from the early S being a $2200 repair, no idea what the later chargers cost but that sort of thing is going to scrap Teslas same as any ICE that just get to not be worth the hassle.

I don't know, like I said mine has 217 k and I still have people telling me they think it's a new one. I did have to spend about 4K for an entire new MCU1, the 2 isn't available yet, and then I had my entire front end rebuild and my rear hubs replaced (including the entire brake system). but,t again, was only about 4K for the whole thing. Not bad for that mileage! I plan on keeping it for at least another hundred k. (oh yeah, they also comped me a new air compressor for my suspension, and a new style screen rather than reuse my old one, even though it was fine. That thing looks even better yet!)

I have owned ICE over 200k.
And I currently own a 2014 S at 97K and a 2014 Impala at 110k.
The Impala has needed far less and less costly repairs

If they hadn't comped some things like a screen and compressor would you feel the same?
Did the front suspension rebuild include struts? Guessing that is what killed the compressor they comped?
Just last week I noticed the rear of my car is bottoming out when parked a couple days........ I know I saw something here about some lines that can rub a hole in each other under the hood will look at that before scheduling service.

I have owned ICE over 200k.
And I currently own a 2014 S at 97K and a 2014 Impala at 110k.
The Impala has needed far less and less costly repairs.
In regards to Tesla being committed to sustainability, they’ll struggle to achieve that being a new technology with limited service and parts availability. Their obstruction to 3rd party support doesn’t help.

They’re up against the challenge that all rapidly changing tech faces. Why buy a phone that can last 10 years when it’s outdated within 5?

The build quality is far off from the Toyota or Honda types. I’m hopeful that’s due to being a brand new manufacturer, and not their actual ethos. EVs should be cheaper and easier to maintain, but they’re more like the premium European brands imo.

From a purely monetary standpoint, it is def possible that buying a new car can be the best decision. I see the world differently. From an environmental perspective, it is almost always better to use something until it can't be used anymore. Keep fixing it and fixing it and fixing it as long as you can get it to perform to your standards. That would be especially true with an EV. So unless something major happens - such as my car starts emitting gamma radiation at me - I'm going to keep fixing it as long as I can. I've taken that same approach with my ICE car, and it has 282K on it. Just put new tires on it and replaced much of the rusted out undercarriage.

Reactions: aesculus
From a purely monetary standpoint, it is def possible that buying a new car can be the best decision. I see the world differently. From an environmental perspective, it is almost always better to use something until it can't be used anymore. Keep fixing it and fixing it and fixing it as long as you can get it to perform to your standards. That would be especially true with an EV. So unless something major happens - such as my car starts emitting gamma radiation at me - I'm going to keep fixing it as long as I can. I've taken that same approach with my ICE car, and it has 282K on it. Just put new tires on it and replaced much of the rusted out undercarriage.

I tend to agree. One of the most compelling reasons to go with an EV is that there are a lot fewer parts that can fail other than nuisance items (door locks, for example). Mind you, Tesla managed to put in a lot of more critical nuisance items (gull-wing doors, for example), but still, the sheer number of drive train parts in an ICE car is insane (with the transmission being the real joy. When the entire resale value of the car gets eaten by a single repair, it starts to become questionable whether it is worth doing so.

For a car that costs $60–130k new, the value of the car has to fall a long way before a single-digit-thousand-dollar repair eats the entire value of the car. So basically, that leaves rust as the main reason for taking these things off the road....

Reactions: RedXowner
It's just that apart from having slightly less range than I would like, my car is perfect in every way.
Well, a new X would not only have a better battery, better range, etc., but also the new MCU, and AutoPilot Hardware3, which is way, WAY better than the gen1 AP in your 2016 X.
You could also get almost all of that with a used or inventory late 2019 model, and a much lower price.