Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Upgrade Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a purely monetary standpoint, it is def possible that buying a new car can be the best decision. I see the world differently. From an environmental perspective, it is almost always better to use something until it can't be used anymore.

But even if the range is no longer good enough for you it would be for someone else, so it wouldn't just get thrown away if you replaced it with a new vehicle. It would get used by someone else. (Or if the battery was really no good it would be used either for parts to keep other cars on the road, or as a "shell" to put a good battery in from a car that had a wrecked body.)

I don't know, like I said mine has 217 k and I still have people telling me they think it's a new one. I did have to spend about 4K for an entire new MCU1, the 2 isn't available yet, and then I had my entire front end rebuild and my rear hubs replaced (including the entire brake system). but,t again, was only about 4K for the whole thing. Not bad for that mileage! I plan on keeping it for at least another hundred k. (oh yeah, they also comped me a new air compressor for my suspension, and a new style screen rather than reuse my old one, even though it was fine. That thing looks even better yet!)
just curious, did your suspension feel any different after you received the new air compressor? Softer and more compliant? Or basically the same but new(firmer)?

The folks that think its more economical to simply trade in car to get replacement battery are ignoring a serious issue and big customer perception issue when there is more viable competition. My 2017 model s 75d could get about $40k in trade. 70K for a new one but I pay tax on 30K difference too and for me that would be another $2500. So its more economical to spend $32,500 to trade in to get another 150 miles of battery range? I don't think so and its only because Elon and Tesla are ignoring this issue that they will lose customers to a competitor with better customer service.

• Disagree
Reactions: AvengerBB and glide
The folks that think its more economical to simply trade in car to get replacement battery are ignoring a serious issue and big customer perception issue when there is more viable competition. My 2017 model s 75d could get about $40k in trade. 70K for a new one but I pay tax on 30K difference too and for me that would be another $2500. So its more economical to spend $32,500 to trade in to get another 150 miles of battery range? I don't think so and its only because Elon and Tesla are ignoring this issue that they will lose customers to a competitor with better customer service.

I'm going to bet that not a single company offers a pack upgrade to their cars in the future. It just doesn't make sense. Better to just simply let someone who needs a shorter range car use it.

Are you pretending the range difference could be accomplished with just an upgrade to a 100pack? You realize the early 100d was 315 mile range.

Updates to the rest of the car have a lot to do with the 402mile range.

If you can get $40k trade for a 75D take it and run. The massive reductions in price and increases in range and standard equipment mean bigger depreciation numners than people expect.

Reactions: MP3Mike
You think the battery is the only change?

Also something missed in this thread is crash testing and other regulations. Tesla would be braking the law by allowing battery upgrades. Components have to be matched to a crash tested and certified config to be allowed on the road. Case in point, remember the P100d upgrade from 90d, where they had to upgrade the pack and seats at the same time since that was the config tested? I'm sure tesla would like to do more but regulations come into play. Competitors?

They wouldn't be breaking the law if they test the components for replacements. My car will need batteries available for next 5 years...are they going to keep manufacturing the old batteries? I'm not expecting the full range of today's cars ...I'm expecting some type of battery upgrade to be made available that provides some efficiencies when they are available. Competitors will do this and China is already doing it. I'm asking you to acknowledge that many of us are happy with our cars and don't drive much - I'm not going to trade the car in every 3 years when it has less than 30K mi. If a competitors product provides better service and swapping batteries/or upgradeable platform then alot of us will look at those when new ones with more efficiencies are provided. I love my Tesla and have 2 S's...but we shouldn't be complacent to think there aren't customers like me who don't buy into the simply 'trade it in' argument.

Testing is more cost, and warranty battery replacement are refurbished.
A few folks have gotten small upgrades but a big upgrade increases weight hence the extra testing concerns. Yes the same chassis was tested and sold with the bigger pack but with the state of the overbloated guberment bureaucracy stops common sense from being applied.

Plus, this isn't yet a communist country Tesla SELLS CARS in a Capitalist system if the new ones stop offering advantage over the old the company withers and dies and what is your warranty worth then.

Competitors will do this and China is already doing it. I'm asking you to acknowledge that many of us are happy with our cars and don't drive much - I'm not going to trade the car in every 3 years when it has less than 30K mi. If a competitors product provides better service and swapping batteries/or upgradeable platform then alot of us will look at those when new ones with more efficiencies are provided.

That competitor doesn't exist, and I'd prefer tesla continue the focus on innovation than what you describe. Tesla would not have survived if they spent money and time on battery swaps.

Is there anyone out there who has had to swap batteries yet? I haven't read about it anywhere. People always ask me, "How long will your batteries last?" My answer has been, "Tesla doesn't know because there really hasn't been a significant number of cars that have had the batteries wear out or need replacement." Does anyone know if this is still true? Is Tesla seeing a series/group/age class of batteries that are needing replacement?

Is there anyone out there who has had to swap batteries yet? I haven't read about it anywhere. People always ask me, "How long will your batteries last?" My answer has been, "Tesla doesn't know because there really hasn't been a significant number of cars that have had the batteries wear out or need replacement." Does anyone know if this is still true? Is Tesla seeing a series/group/age class of batteries that are needing replacement?

Yes, there have been several people with failed packs who have gotten new ones.

Any idea what the average miles on those failed batteries is? That would be a very informative statistic. Have not heard it mentioned anywhere.

There's a couple of YouTube videos of people with failed packs - Bjorn is one, and I've seen it on the forums here too. I don't recall there being a trend in terms of mileage and it's certainly not a frequent thing. But it has happened. Degradation is often the larger issue.

Here is a video from Gruber where they say that they have talked to Tesla and that they will now offer a 90kWh pack that can be put in vehicles that came with a 40, 60, 70, 75, or 85kWh pack:

Though it sounds like they will charge ~$21k for that service.

It is said that they won't support going to a 100kWh pack because it weighs too much more and would negatively impact the crash structure and air bag deployment.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger