Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade / replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also recently had the pack on my 85D swapped for a brand new 90kwh pack. After 2 years and 41,000 miles, I was seeing unusual error messages ("Car may not restart - contact service") on the car, so I took it into the Charlotte service center. They said they would need to replace the pack (under warranty) and gave me a loaner Model S for 5 weeks. When I got my car back, they gave me the good news about the brand new 90kwh pack - it shows up as a 90D on the center screen and on the binnacle. The only way you can tell it began its life as an 85D is the badging on the exterior of the car.

I was considering trading the car in for a new Model S if/when they introduce a larger size battery and/or interior refresh, but now I think I will just buy the extended warranty and drive this car for several more years.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Y
I also recently had the pack on my 85D swapped for a brand new 90kwh pack. After 2 years and 41,000 miles, I was seeing unusual error messages ("Car may not restart - contact service") on the car, so I took it into the Charlotte service center. They said they would need to replace the pack (under warranty) and gave me a loaner Model S for 5 weeks. When I got my car back, they gave me the good news about the brand new 90kwh pack - it shows up as a 90D on the center screen and on the binnacle. The only way you can tell it began its life as an 85D is the badging on the exterior of the car.

I was considering trading the car in for a new Model S if/when they introduce a larger size battery and/or interior refresh, but now I think I will just buy the extended warranty and drive this car for several more years.
You should ask them to re-badge if you want it... They did mine when they swapped the 85 for the 90. They actually did it as a "P90" since it started out as a P85.

• Informative
Reactions: Trailblazer
There seems to be plenty of people that have never had their loaner changed back. I look at it as though I am riding on their dime for as long as possible.

If this loaner ever develops a problem, I will just request mine or it's replacement back. As long as there is a good one in there, no sweat! As a notation, it took them 5 weeks to get the loaner pack for it. I don't know what it is, but it did show 265 full miles. It was swapped out at the end of July.

Last edited:
I have an early P85 Signature car. The original pack was swapped out two years ago never to be seen again. Still running on the "replacement" for over 30K miles....Don't expect to see the original again. Of course I have no idea what the condition of the replacement pack was compared to my original. No noticeable difference that I could see.

[QUOTE="... Took the SC less than a day to do the swap once the pack arrived.

You can find a video of Elon Musk demonstrating a battery swap that takes about one minute.[/QUOTE]

They only deployed that system to one location in California and it is now shut down. Service centers do not have the machinery required to do the swap quite the way the automated system did.

I have an early P85 Signature car. The original pack was swapped out two years ago never to be seen again. Still running on the "replacement" for over 30K miles....Don't expect to see the original again. Of course I have no idea what the condition of the replacement pack was compared to my original. No noticeable difference that I could see.

Did they say that they were going to rebuild your pack or just swap it out?

Did they say that they were going to rebuild your pack or just swap it out?
They specifically said that my original pack was going to be remanufactured and eventually returned and put back in the car. Don't think that is going to happen! My old pack is probably in someone else's car at this point. To make things even more interesting, my lease is up in 90 days at which point I will might buy the car if I can come to terms with the leasing company. If not, it will go back and I will lease another Model S from someone else.

They can, they just won't unless they have to. My P85 is a 2012, last 6 of VIN P02360. So not absolutely sure but pretty certain it's about as old as it gets. They just gave me a brand new v4 90kWHr pack as a warranty replacement.

2012 Signature vin S00162. My pack was replaced about a year-and-a-half ago but it was replaced with an 85 kilowatt pack

Yeah, the 100 I could see issues with them doing it as it's a heavier pack and could change the safety dynamics of the car, the official swap for the P90DL to P100DL required the seats to be swapped and some other bits. The 90 though is basically a drop in replacement. Took the SC less than a day to do the swap once the pack arrived.

Tesla has long held the stance of upgrade your battery by trading/selling your car for a new one. But as I mentioned earlier hsrmotors can do the swap if you have the cash.

I have a funny feeling some highly payed statisticians have done the math at Tesla HQ, realizing that there are so little "parts" to a Tesla interior that if consumers could cheaply upgrade/replace the battery some people may end up driving the same car for 20-30 years. Completely unacceptable by american standards where the car manufacturers rely on you buying a new car every few years.

Usually with most, in particular modern, cars you run into wear down of the interior and engine. Not so with a Tesla.

Reactions: KidDoc
They can, they just won't unless they have to. My P85 is a 2012, last 6 of VIN P02360. So not absolutely sure but pretty certain it's about as old as it gets. They just gave me a brand new v4 90kWHr pack as a warranty replacement.
Did you see an increase in your supercharging capabilities? Specifically 120kw vs 90kw on a 2012 battery pack A?

You can find a video of Elon Musk demonstrating a battery swap that takes about one minute.

They only deployed that system to one location in California and it is now shut down. Service centers do not have the machinery required to do the swap quite the way the automated system did.[/QUOTE]

The issue is that they have too drain the pack when removing it before swapping it due to fire hazards now. Had mine replaced and didn't know so waited a day of them draining it before they could start any work.

I spoke with eBay member k-ash. His shop in Hickory, NC has done about 30 Tesla battery upgrades on various Model S’s and Model X’s. All the vehicles including the RWD ones can be upgraded to either 90kWh ($14k) or 100kWh packs ($25k). You’ll need to drop vehicle off for 1-2 days. They also warranty the battery for 4 years.
Sounds unnecessarily expensive. I would just buy a newer car and reap the benefits of having a warranty on other things as well. +AP, interior etc