Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade / replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read some old posts about this topic but have not seen anything recently. I also saw an article online about a guy doing this and Tesla giving him credit for turning in his battery pack and it costing him 18k with installation.

I have a S60 with 14k miles. I really could use the additional range that a S85 or S90 brings.

Just wondering if anyone here has done so.

I have a call into my local service center and should hear back in a few days.

Thank you
Jeremy

BLUF Technically possible for Tesla to do but not common.

I am having the battery replaced on my 2012 P85 now, warranty replacement though. They have put a 90kWHr pack in as they don't make any of the 85s anymore apparently. So that said, it is technically possible for Tesla to do this and I do recall one service adviser saying that they had someone outright buy a 90 pack to swap out for an 85 I believe. But that should be taken with a grain of salt.

BLUF Technically possible for Tesla to do but not common.

I am having the battery replaced on my 2012 P85 now, warranty replacement though. They have put a 90kWHr pack in as they don't make any of the 85s anymore apparently. So that said, it is technically possible for Tesla to do this and I do recall one service adviser saying that they had someone outright buy a 90 pack to swap out for an 85 I believe. But that should be taken with a grain of salt.

How many miles do you have on your P85? Well I hope I hear some good news. Thank you.

• Helpful
Reactions: W2JO
If I were to buy a battery, the largest possible please! Currently that is the 100.
You may have trouble getting the 100 coming from a RWD model as there was never a RWD 100, only the 100D. I say that because right now my car is showing in the app as a "90" not a P90. Even though it started life as a P85. I still have to hash this out with the SC when I go tomorrow to pick it up as the 90 RWD had a 0-60 over 1 second slower than the P85.

I may be looking to either upgrade one of my s60's batteries or swap out cars in the not to distant future as well. My new job has me spending alot of time of the road, and the bigger battery would mean much shorter supercharge stops. I have not talked to Tesla yet, as I have a feeling they will say no upgrades. There is a third party option, on ebay there is someone who sells turn key upgrades for about 12k. I believe he is a forum member here, but I don't want to call out his name without being positive.

I may be looking to either upgrade one of my s60's batteries or swap out cars in the not to distant future as well. My new job has me spending alot of time of the road, and the bigger battery would mean much shorter supercharge stops. I have not talked to Tesla yet, as I have a feeling they will say no upgrades. There is a third party option, on ebay there is someone who sells turn key upgrades for about 12k. I believe he is a forum member here, but I don't want to call out his name without being positive.
The eBay post is from his partner but yes wk057 does upgrades at his shop in Hickory NC. The link to hsrmotors above is their site.

It should be noted that going to a larger battery, especially if it is not a traditional model from Tesla or a newer pack style is quite expensive. He quoted $32k to upgrade my P85 to the 100kwhr pack. YMMV of course but just a data point for consideration.

If anyone does upgrade their S60 battery, please let me know approx. how much to do this and who did it for you. The Tesla service center told me they will not change out my battery pack because the new battery packs are a different hardware and would not work in my old S60

If anyone does upgrade their S60 battery, please let me know approx. how much to do this and who did it for you. The Tesla service center told me they will not change out my battery pack because the new battery packs are a different hardware and would not work in my old S60
They can, they just won't unless they have to. My P85 is a 2012, last 6 of VIN P02360. So not absolutely sure but pretty certain it's about as old as it gets. They just gave me a brand new v4 90kWHr pack as a warranty replacement.

Thanks Tyson. My car is a 2013 and the battery range has degraded to only 181 miles fully charged. When I travel long distances I get anxious and usually stop at every changing station. Tesla said they can give me the same battery pack I currently have but when I asked about putting in a 90 or 100 battery pack which I am eilling to pay for they said they couldn’t. I will keep trying.

Thanks Tyson. My car is a 2013 and the battery range has degraded to only 181 miles fully charged. When I travel long distances I get anxious and usually stop at every changing station. Tesla said they can give me the same battery pack I currently have but when I asked about putting in a 90 or 100 battery pack which I am eilling to pay for they said they couldn’t. I will keep trying.
Yeah, the 100 I could see issues with them doing it as it's a heavier pack and could change the safety dynamics of the car, the official swap for the P90DL to P100DL required the seats to be swapped and some other bits. The 90 though is basically a drop in replacement. Took the SC less than a day to do the swap once the pack arrived.

Tesla has long held the stance of upgrade your battery by trading/selling your car for a new one. But as I mentioned earlier hsrmotors can do the swap if you have the cash.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Yeah, the 100 I could see issues with them doing it as it's a heavier pack and could change the safety dynamics of the car, the official swap for the P90DL to P100DL required the seats to be swapped and some other bits. The 90 though is basically a drop in replacement. Took the SC less than a day to do the swap once the pack arrived.

Tesla has long held the stance of upgrade your battery by trading/selling your car for a new one. But as I mentioned earlier hsrmotors can do the swap if you have the cash.
Question...what triggers the battery warranty replacement? any signs I should be looking for to warrant a replacement?
I have ran my 2014 cpo 40kmiles in 4months so far and he's got over 90k in total.

Question...what triggers the battery warranty replacement? any signs I should be looking for to warrant a replacement?
I have ran my 2014 cpo 40kmiles in 4months so far and he's got over 90k in total.
Only failures in the pack/modules/cells or an imbalance of the modules/cells can trigger warranty replacement. They specifically state that degradation is not covered, although I would imagine that if it had "degraded" 15-20% that something else would be wrong and it would get replaced.

In my case specifically, I had some surging of regen under some fairly specific conditions and I had also noticed a sudden dip in SOC, lost ~6% instantly. The SC said that this was due to imbalances in the pack and they ordered a replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: houstonian