Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Battery usage of Games/Theatre?

Morning all,

First post! Got my first M3 2021 in December and loving it. (Especially like passing other tesla drivers and getting a little wave!)

Was in traffic last night on a closed motorway, so treated myself to a Netflix and chill session in the car. I was especially mindful of using too much battery that by the time the traffic was moving, I wouldn't have the range to get home.

Is that a reasonable concern or am I worrying over nothing, I guess I'm asking if we know how much battery % watching Netflix etc uses per 20 mins or so.

Apologies for the stupid question, I'm new to this EV mindset :)

Thanks

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
the difference between the car being awake and asleep can be as much as 200-300wh/h
but if already in the car the difference between just sitting there and using the screen is negligible.
The only thing that will make much of a difference is turning down the heating to minimum if its cold. Max seat heaters min cabin heaters is the most efficient. though maybe less so in yours since it has a heat pump. AC is much less of a problem

• Informative
Reactions: pow216

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...reasonable concern or am I worrying over nothing, I guess I'm asking if we know how much battery % watching Netflix etc uses per 20 mins or so...

You can monitor your battery miles drains down as you watch Netflix all day and I doubt it would drain much to the point that you don't have enough range to go home.

You can monitor your car battery capacity either by car's screen or by your cell phone app.

The ones that drain your battery the most:

1) High Speed
2) Wind (which makes the speed consumption worse)
3) Cold winter

Netflix is way way down the list.

Reactions: exlatccatsa

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
You can monitor your battery miles drains down as you watch Netflix all day and I doubt it would drain much to the point that you don't have enough range to go home.

You can monitor your car battery capacity either by car's screen or by your cell phone app.

The ones that drain your battery the most:

1) High Speed
2) Wind (which makes the speed consumption worse)
3) Cold winter

Netflix is way way down the list.
You forgot heavy rain.. that produces a fairly big drain especially if you're planning for range.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Was in traffic last night on a closed motorway, so treated myself to a Netflix and chill session in the car. I was especially mindful of using too much battery that by the time the traffic was moving, I wouldn't have the range to get home.

2% in 3 hours in an SR+ (less in a LR or P due to bigger battery) is my guess. As mentioned above most of the consumption is running the background computer services and heating the car so the increase specifically due to Netflix is going to be very very small indeed.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC