Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery usage with sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the forum!

Ah, I would guess and say maybe 8-10% of the battery. So equivalent of 25-30 miles. Somebody else with more experience with running Sentry Mode non-stop could give you a better idea of the actual amount of loss. Would you also be using Cabin Overheat protection? And would it be possible to leave your car plugged in while you are working? Even a 120V 15A outlet would help alleviate some of the range loss.

Upvote 0
Not sure about cabin overheat. I wasn't planning on. I work 7am to 7am so even in Texas with the car I have now once the car sits overnight it's never hot inside when I get in it in the morning. Is there any reason cabin overheat should be left on? And no I probably wouldn't be able to plug it in while I'm on shift. I am going to install the Tesla wall charger at home so I should always have a full charge the morning I drive into work.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I'm waiting on my LR3 and had a question and sentry and battery usage. I work in EMS and do 24 hour shifts. How much battery usage should I expect if I were to leave sentry on for my entire shift?

Since you are talking about a long range model 3, expected energy usage expressed in miles in the vehicle for sentry mode would be around 1 mile "ish" an hour maybe a bit more, provided its just sentry mode and nothing else (no cabin overheat protection, no standby summon, etc etc... nothing but sentry)

Probably 22-28 miles in a 24 hour period if just sentry is used. If cabin overheat protection triggers or something, would be more. Since the car wont be sleeping, a general rule of thumb would be to expect 20-30 miles gone from the "miles remaining" with sentry mode being used 24 hours.

Some other threads on this topic are referenced by the forum software at the bottom of this thread, they might also be good reading for you, OP.

Here is a relevant one:

Upvote 0
Wonderful. Thank you all for your input. Sorry if this was a repetitive question. Did not find other similar threads until after I posted.

No worries, I wasnt posting call you out or anything, I was just genuinely giving you another thread to review. Thanks for your service to whatever community you work in, assuming that by "ems" you mean 'emergency medical services", in which 24 hour shifts are common.

I am not in that field at all, but have utmost respect for people who are called to serve others like that, so.... thank you very much from an internet stranger (lol)

Upvote 0
Well, as an EMT I'm sure you know the dangers of leaving children or pets inside a vehicle with rolled up windows, even on a mild comfortable 70 degree day. Temperatures inside can get 50 degrees above ambient. Cabin Overheat protection is mainly meant to keep the electronics inside the car at a much lower temperature in order to not stress them too much and hopefully prolonging their life. Not to mention be a little bit kinder to the plastics and fabrics within. But there's many vehicles out there which do not have this feature and they seem to survive Texas summers, yes? So it boils down to personal choice: if you have this feature, it's up to you to decide if the power usage is worth it.

As it appears to be 90 and partly cloudy today in Houston, if you leave your car out in the sunshine and you don't have any sunscreen on the windshield or tint on the windows, I'd guess that the inside would be somewhere around 130-140. As a general rule, I don't use it here. My car is parked in my driveway (facing north) and I have the windshield protected by a sunscreen but no tint on the windows. I've seen interior temps get up over 140. It's 81 outside right now and the app says inside is 122. Since it hasn't rained here in about 5 months, I roll the windows down and the temp drops about 10 degrees. I just have to remember to close the windows at night (I've forgotten several times).

As for human comfort, Tesla provides a way through the app to turn on the climate control so that you can cool a hot car or heat up a cold car remotely. Done a few minutes before you enter the car, it's a great feature even here in somewhat mild Northern California.

Upvote 0
Yeah I work as a paramedic. Thank you for that by the way. Another quick question, is there any reason I should leave cabin overheat protection on while I'm on shift. For the cars sake I mean? Can high interior temps do damage to any of the equipment or is it purely for comfort?
I use cabin overheat protection without AC myself, even when parked in the sun.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure It was made as a safety feature. If it was to maintain temperature for the electronics you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Also it wouldnt turn off on it's own after 12hrs and your Tesla wouldn't be stored in the open before delivery for weeks.
Tesla doesn't even cover the glass. Tesla doesn't let us control the cooling or heating of the battery while parked for comparison. I think this idea that it's to protect the electronics in the car just randomly started one day.

This is the screen Tesla uses. Its rated for 200 degrees.

This is how the feature was announced. There was nothing about electronics.

"In an industry-first safety measure, we're also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety," Tesla said in a statement. "This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla's uniquely large battery packs."

Upvote 0
Well, as an EMT I'm sure you know the dangers of leaving children or pets inside a vehicle with rolled up windows, even on a mild comfortable 70 degree day. Temperatures inside can get 50 degrees above ambient. Cabin Overheat protection is mainly meant to keep the electronics inside the car at a much lower temperature in order to not stress them too much and hopefully prolonging their life. Not to mention be a little bit kinder to the plastics and fabrics within. But there's many vehicles out there which do not have this feature and they seem to survive Texas summers, yes? So it boils down to personal choice: if you have this feature, it's up to you to decide if the power usage is worth it.

As it appears to be 90 and partly cloudy today in Houston, if you leave your car out in the sunshine and you don't have any sunscreen on the windshield or tint on the windows, I'd guess that the inside would be somewhere around 130-140. As a general rule, I don't use it here. My car is parked in my driveway (facing north) and I have the windshield protected by a sunscreen but no tint on the windows. I've seen interior temps get up over 140. It's 81 outside right now and the app says inside is 122. Since it hasn't rained here in about 5 months, I roll the windows down and the temp drops about 10 degrees. I just have to remember to close the windows at night (I've forgotten several times).

As for human comfort, Tesla provides a way through the app to turn on the climate control so that you can cool a hot car or heat up a cold car remotely. Done a few minutes before you enter the car, it's a great feature even here in somewhat mild Northern California.
Yes I understand the dangers to children and pets. I meant while I'm on shift. If I don't use
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure It was made as a safety feature. If it was to maintain temperature for the electronics you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Also it wouldnt turn off on it's own after 12hrs and your Tesla wouldn't be stored in the open before delivery for weeks.
Tesla doesn't even cover the glass. Tesla doesn't let us control the cooling or heating of the battery while parked for comparison. I think this idea that it's to protect the electronics in the car just randomly started one day.

This is the screen Tesla uses. Its rated for 200 degrees.

This is how the feature was announced. There was nothing about electronics.

"In an industry-first safety measure, we're also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety," Tesla said in a statement. "This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla's uniquely large battery packs."
Ok perfect. That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wanted to verify. Thank you for that

Upvote 0