Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery very low - how low can it go - not driven?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my Model S in the garage months ago ... charging on the first model HPWC.
Occasionally I check "her".
It usually says she's stopped charging by design at 150 miles (60%)
Today I noticed that "a while ago" it stopped charging.
It is down to 18 miles. And red.
I'm getting a neighbor to unplug her and see if it'll start charging again.
Temperature has always been above 60.
I am unable to get her to restart remotely. And the camera in my garage shows the light on the HPWC to be solid.
Neighbor cannot get to it for 24 hours.
The car is not being used; how long before it could "brick" given that there's only 18 miles left?

But it is responding to queries. I have the START CHARGING button available ... simple won't start.
What's the certain point?
Could it be the 12v dying? As I can see the car I doubt the 12v has died.
Are you citing this from experience?

I have seen a situation where the car stop charging at 82% (setpoint 90%) while plugged in (to a 110v) after 2 days. I was able to contact the car but the start charging button won’t work. Upon return, the charge port light is red, it all worked agains once I unplug and replug it. The whole area had a couple of short power outrages, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

What is strange about your situation is the battery drain to 18%. Is climate while away accidentally turned on? Is auto conditioning on? Both of those function should stop working once battery goes less than 20%, so if you don’t see further drastic drain, the. I would expect it would only drain a couple more % a day at worst from here.

At some point the main pack will stop recharging the 12volt which is sucking down juice running electronics.
Once that happens you won't be able to check on it but drain will be basically non-existent, but the car will need a.jumpstart and maybe a new 12volt depending on duration spent in that condition.

Thanks for your addition.
Today my neighbor removed the charge cord ... which ring was red ... plugged it back in and it started spinning green really fast.
I checked in an hour later and cannot wake the car up.
Will check in 24 hours.
If the 12v does go, it'll only be the 5th replacement in 5 years. :(
Why does the main pack stop charging the 12v?

Today my neighbor removed the charge cord ... which ring was red ... plugged it back in and it started spinning green really fast.
Will check in 24 hours.
I have had that happen to me before, except it was at a hotel plugged into 110v and everything worked once I go back to unplug and replug. The hotel had some power outages so I am not sure if the charger isolated itself when power was of poor quality just before and after the blackout.

It was only not charging for a day, I didn’t notice any unusual drain, about 1% for the day.

My car is back to RED and not charging ... nose into a garage where there's no space to open the nose.
It'll be a month before I can get at it properly.
Lesson ... reverse in?

---
and now it changed its mind. See below.

Last edited:
Will check in 24 hours.
Wow, that is insane. Mine 2013 has never had the 12v replaced. I keep thinking I should consider just getting it replaced... But it sounds like the newer batteries are possibly not better. .