Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery vs mileage discrepancy, HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Last year, I bought a used (from Tesla directly) 2017 70D model X, supposed max charge 237 miles.

My battery seems to drain very rapidly. It will only charge to 212 miles and on top of that I consistently use up 1.5-2 miles of battery per 1 mile driven. I.E, I can only drive 100 miles on a full 212 mile charge. I understand there is a discrepancy with battery efficiency based on highway driving, drag, and weather etc but this is a very consistent rate of use every time that I drive the car. Is this normal/to be expected or is it something that I should bring to the service department’s attention???

Additionally, it will only charge max 150mph at a supercharger. Takes forever!

...based on highway driving, drag, and weather etc...
Correct! As you cited, using actual driving range is not a good metric for battery degradation.

You measure it while the car is in the park gear, and fully charged.

...charge max 150mph at a supercharger. Takes forever!..
Others have brought this issue up with Service Center. 5 years is not a very old battery to be this slow but Tesla doesn't guarantee the Supercharger rate.

Maybe you have better luck on this issue!

Upvote 0
There are chargers that charge at this speed only and some charge faster. A better Route Planner states the speed of each supercharger station so I know ahead of time how fast to expect the charger to charge the car. We have a 2016 P90DL with 51,000 miles and last summer when it was warm at 80% charge we would be around 185 miles, but now at 90 % charge we are seeing less than 150 mile range. Not sure how cold it gets where you are but all the news talks is all snow you are getting. Granted we have been just above 0 during the day and around -10 at night. We do keep the car plugged in inside the garage and we schedule to have the car pre heat the cabin and warm (Precondition) the batteries done when we are planning to leave. Doing this while plugged in saves using the batteries for this. I have only charged to 100% a couple of times and we were at around 238 miles when on a trip during last summer. One other thing, in the summer my WH per mile stayed pretty close to 280 to 320 WH per mile. But this winter I have seen it as high as in the mid 450 range, but if I pre heat the car it is around 350 to 400 which I don't consider too bad seeing as how cold it has been and after driving it for a while it drops below 350.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Last year, I bought a used (from Tesla directly) 2017 70D model X, supposed max charge 237 miles.

My battery seems to drain very rapidly. It will only charge to 212 miles

I think you mean X75D? I don't believe any of the originally planned 70's were ever actually made. Yes the 75's were originally supposed to have a maximum of 237 "rated-miles" of electrical storage capacity in their battery packs. If you set your car to charge to 100% full and, after it successfully finishes charging, it only displays 212 rated-miles, well, that's not wonderful, but it is "normal". When I sold my 75D a year ago its max charge was 214. That's about 10% off its original capacity after 5 years. Entirely normal.

and on top of that I consistently use up 1.5-2 miles of battery per 1 mile driven.

Yes. This also normal. At least in winter. If your car gets cold overnight and you only go on short trips during the day, you will probably only get 1/2 to 2/3 as many miles as what the dashboard display shows. That's why we think of them as "rated-miles" not actual guaranteed miles. To achieve the EPA "rating" you need to have perfect conditions like moderate speeds, warm weather, warm battery, no rain, no wind, light load, inflated tires, level ground, don't use the heater, etc. Any departure from any of those things means you'll fall short of your "rated" range, often by quite a bit.
Additionally, it will only charge max 150mph at a supercharger. Takes forever!
As somebody else said, make sure you are at the fastest kind of supercharger. Also you say it will "only" charge at a certain max rate, but supercharging speed can be quite variable, even within the same charging session.

You'll want to be sure you have observed it in all kinds of different conditions first before deciding what its absolute best performance is. It would be unusual if your car couldn't briefly reach 300 rated-miles-per-hour , or at least the high 200's, in perfect conditions.

Perfect conditions would require arriving at a supercharger at a very low state of charge (ie battery almost empty) fully warmed up (ie after having driven a very long time to *get* to the supercharger) and of course the supercharger itself must not be limited, either because it's the slow kind or you are sharing it with some other Tesla parked at the charger immediately adjacent to you. If you are certain you have achieved these conditions yet the car only charges at 150 rated-miles per hour, yeah, that's a little surprising.

To spell it out a little more, even if you arrive with perfect conditions, the charging speed gradually drops as the pack starts to get full. So just because your car should be able to touch 300 rated-miles-per-hour briefly doesn't mean it can *sustain* that rate. No Tesla can. If you are determining your max supercharging speed while trying to top off an 80% full battery, it will always look slow. Supercharge when the pack is low for best results.

I hope some of this helps set expectations.

You'll have to post pictures of your dashboard displays if you want more specific feedback.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0