Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Warranty not unlimited miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really going over 100k miles in 8 year? I haven't yet hit 100k in 10. If I was going to exceed that by a lot I guess it might bother me, but I don't see it as having any real effect.

For others here I'd bet a good portion sell their cars before they get near it.

Reactions: Stirfelt
You really going over 100k miles in 8 year? I haven't yet hit 100k in 10. If I was going to exceed that by a lot I guess it might bother me, but I don't see it as having any real effect.

For others here I'd bet a good portion sell their cars before they get near it.

I put on over 50,000 miles a year which is one of main reason I want a long range ev. I was disappointed to see that they capped the powertrain warranty.

The mileage limits on the battery pack correspond to only ~400-500 full cycles - from that perspective, the mileage limit on the battery warranty for the 3 is rather disappointing.

What's more telling to me is that the motor is only guaranteed for 4 years / 50k miles. Sounds like the million mile motor is still a bit out of grasp.

Reactions: David99
Given the actual reliability of batteries past the 150k mark, you probably don't have much to worry about. Given your mileage, you're saving a ludicrous amount of money on gas and maintenance even if you run into battery issues out of warranty.

The S unlimited warranty came into effect after people started losing faith in the drivetrain (early drivetrain reliability was atrocious), and the long-term battery health was still something that people were extremely mistrustful of (thanks, Nissan Leaf!). I imagine they did this to help drive business and confidence in the Model S.

Tesla no longer needs to instill such confidence in their products, and thus the warranty is more normal--though it's still, by far, industry leading compared to other EVs.

The mileage limits on the battery pack correspond to only ~400-500 full cycles - from that perspective, the mileage limit on the battery warranty for the 3 is rather disappointing.

But from a normal mileage standpoint for most normal consumers who drive ~12,500 miles a year, it's still a pretty good proposition.

What is it on the Bolt?

8 years, 100k miles

IMG_0393.jpg