TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery Went From 140 to Zero While Sitting for an Hour

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Carlos Danger, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Member

I parked my 2013 Model S P85 to go shopping and it had 140 miles on the battery. When I returned a half hour later the battery had gone to zero and I was unable to do anything. I had to have my $100K+ care towed to a Service center.

I was told that the HV Battery showed a cell imbalance and it had to be sent to Fremont for a refurbishing.

Is this a known or common defect? Also what exactly does this mean? My car showed no signs there was a problem before it went to zero.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

What does the price of the car have to do with the problem?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

People love to throw that in a lot around here I notice.

"I shouldn't have to wait to hear back from a DS on a $100k+ car!!!!"

"I shouldn't have to wait a month for a service appointment on my $100k car!!!!"

"I wouldnt see Mercedes or BMW make you deal with this on their $100k car!!!"

It's like people that have $30k cars shouldn't have a high level of expectation on reliability and experience because it is only $30k.

It is an odd bunch sometimes around these parts.

No offense to the original OP of course. ;)

• Like x 9
    • Funny x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I'm waiting for "I paid $100k! Get Elon on the line!!"

• Funny x 2
  5. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

I guess I have no recourse if something happens to my car since I paid less than $100k ...

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  6. Dynastar

Dynastar Member

I'm sure SvC techs have some stories.

7. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

Yes, cost doesn't matter if needs towed it needs towed.
    On the other hand if l you imply that when you pay so much for a car it shouldn't leave you stranded in such a situation, I am guilty of that kind of thinking as well.

Precisely why I have two or these $30 K cars because 1. They never leave me stranded, and more importantly 2. I just wander in any time into any auto service center (including dealerships) for a quick service and am done in 30min or less.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  8. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Member

Thank you all for the helpful and intelligent responses!

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

Well played, sir. Apologize for the trolls around here. They've been getting worse lately.

At any rate, bummer to hear about your issue. I have never heard of such a problem and it does sound like Service is on top of it (as usual). Good luck and please post an update when you get a resolution.

• Like x 1
  10. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I think we all forget that these cars are as expensive as they are because they are utilizing innovative new technologies, ones which have never been built at this scale before in the history of the Earth. They aren't expensive because they are bullet-proof. The cost has nothing to do with the reliability but it does pay homage to the fact that it gives TESLA the ammunition (capital) it needs to make things right (apply fixes/engineering) as they happen, this is innovative technology we shouldn't expect the same level of time-proven reliability as we would with other vehicles.

If you want bullet-proof get a Honda Civic, tried and true for the last 40+ years, boring as all hell and not all too innovative either, but it'll get the job done while sucking down some good ole' fashioned dino-juice...

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You didn't say what they did for you besides send your battery to Fremont. I assume they gave you a loaner battery to get you going for the time the battery is off getting fixed.

I don't recall seeing this particular issue before, but there have been a handful of other people report battery issues that required that their battery be sent off to be repaired. So I wouldn't say it was common at all.

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

That's a heck of a lot of energy that "got spent" in an hour for a car just sitting there. Something got really hot somewhere in the car. Or a software or hardware safety (fuse) kicked in to disconnect batteries, to prevent something from getting really hot... and the BMS was only reporting what it could see .. zero.

Good news is, your battery is covered under warranty.

Refurb, not new? Hmm.. A lot of revisions have happened since 2013. Why not new?

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

They used to just replace the pack with a previously refurbed pack but people were worried about getting a pack that had more mileage or abuse than their original pack had. That is when Tesla switched to giving people a loaner pack while their original pack was repaired/refurbished.

Do you think that they should toss an entire ~$15k pack because a $10 part inside failed? (I'm not saying that it is a $10 part in all cases, but in some cases it sounds like the failed part is small.) That would be like throwing away an entire ICE because the timing belt broke.

And who knows what all they will do while they have the pack opened up, maybe they will upgrade some of the parts inside to newer versions...

14. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Sorry to see you had that problem. This issue is a new one to me.

Have you ever manually balanced your battery? Normally this can be done by charging to 100% and then letting the car stay at that level for approximately a half hour to an hour. It may be done automatically upon completion of a charge at any charge level from 50 - 100%, but I haven't seen anyone post about this being the case yet. Also when charging to 100%, note that it's better for the battery to use the car within 1 - 2 hours after the charge is complete.

15. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

A catastrophic failure such as this would have nothing to do with whether or not someone manually balanced the battery. In general people don't need to think about doing this. It's one of those Tesla urban legends. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

• Helpful x 1
  16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

WK057 has said that the balancing starts after charging above 93%.

17. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

I don't think the battery could actually have discharged while the car was parked for that short a time. I don't know the heat capacity of a Tesla, but I'm pretty sure it would have gone up in smoke. Surely the issue was something with the car's ability to determine the state of charge, or something.

18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

No it isn't a common defect. Yes it has happened before.

You should expect a loaner of some kind to hold you over.

• Like x 1
  19. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Carlos,
    Just use discretion when taking selfies.
    --

20. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't think this is a common problem.

By the way, beside displaying "0" miles available, does it has any other error message?