TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery with snowflake and green line limit?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ebmcs03, Dec 28, 2019.

1. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

What does the green line to the right of the yellow mean? And I’m assuming the snowflake means the battery is too cold? But it’s only 51 degrees. Not even freezing. This is the first time I’ve seen the battery show up like this in the app. The car has seen 34 degrees before and I never seen these symbols on the battery in the app.

E8E70978-13A8-4811-B275-39A59CB0CAEB.png

2. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

It means the battery is cold soaked and part of your range is not accessible.
    That line is blue btw.

• Like x 2
  3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

Once your car warms up that lost range will become available again. The two times I've seen the snowflake it went away within 2 or 3 minutes of driving the car. But it also hasn't been too cold here yet.

4. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

This information that others provided above, and many other informative topics are covered in the Tesla Model 3 Owner’s Manual. This is available in the car under the T logo or as a downloadable PDF file when you login on the Tesla web site and Manage your vehicle.

• Like x 2
  5. Danitrish

Danitrish New Member

This happened to me today (snowflake/blue band). Outside temp was 10F and I had 47 miles remaining. Tried three ports at a supercharger and no charge. After reading a few threads I decided to wait it out, even as I was losing charge. After 30 minutes it started charging. Wish I had known about this nuance beforehand. Fortunately I had no place to be!

6. Danitrish

Danitrish New Member

7. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Page 52 in the version of the manual I have on my hard drive, in fact. Searching the manual for "cold" yielded the following on the second hit:

8. Total estimated driving distance (or
    energy) available. Instead of driving
    distance, you can display the percentage
    of battery energy remaining. To do so,
    touch Controls > Display > Energy
    Display > Energy (see Controls on page
    91).

Note: When anticipating when you need
    to charge, use range estimates as a
    general guideline only.

Note: In cold weather, some of the stored
    energy in the Battery may not be available
    until the Battery warms up. When this
    happens, a portion of the Battery meter is
    blue and the driving distance value has a
    snowflake image next to it. If Model 3 is
    plugged in, you can heat your Battery
    using wall power by turning on climate
    control using the mobile app. When the
    Battery warms up, the blue portion on the
    meter and the snowflake image are no
    longer displayed.

8. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

In certain situations this snowflake in warm-ish conditions can mean that you need a HV battery replacement. :p

Zero battery indicated all of sudden

The symptoms here look a little different than the OP’s, so it’s likely just due to unusually chilly LA conditions in this case. It does not have to be all that cold to see the snowflake. Also current temperature is less important than what was the temperature overnight...