Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery won’t charge and now it’s totally dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for ur trouble. On a lighter note...I was on a forum that was for mk1 Audi TT s. Meaning first generation Audi TT.

The rite of passage was to get your car flatbed and post a picture. It was so common that we just laughed it off. It was called the flatbed club. Pretty much everyone at some point had it happen. You might have kicked it off for the rest of us :)

Hope you have a positive outcome!! And get you car back

• Funny
Reactions: RyanS
Is your Gen1 charger still working (on wife's car)? Seems they fail pretty often too.
Yup. Gen 1 is working fine. It charged my wife’s MS yesterday without any issues. My gen 2 is also charging my loaner classic MS signature without any issues.

LOL . Flatbed club. I am a president of flatbed club for my DeLorean. Local towing companies and AAA knows me well. I was thinking that I don’t need to worry about towing anymore with my brand new Tesla... What could possibly go wrong with a 3 weeks old $60K brand new car...

Reactions: adaptabl
Bathtub curve. Part failures generally happen either very early on or not until the end of service life. There was probably some sort of small manufacturing defect in your part, which caused it to fail under load early on.

That doesn't seem to be the case with drive units. Haw many model S owners have had multiple drive units replaced under warranty already?

That doesn't seem to be the case with drive units. Haw many model S owners have had multiple drive units replaced under warranty already?

Operative word "generally."

But from what I've read, the drive unit failures had a few different reasons, and a lot of them were replaced while still fully functional based on noises - which Tesla eventually decided were related to a wiring bundle being secured, if I understood right.

The bathtub curve applies pretty consistently for a given part and failure mode - and with the understanding that the actual service life may not actually be anywhere near the design service life of the component or system.

OK. According to SC rep, they have replaced the high voltage controller but it is keep throwing more error messages and they are not sure what is going on. So they are connecting with Tesla engineer to figure out the issue. So looks like I am going to be stuck with an APless classic MS signature for a few more days. They still don't want to give me a loaner with AP. Ugggg...

every loaner from rocklin i've had did not have AP.

figured it was a liability issue... don't want to have an AP related accident on a rental.

your OP, i thought for a sec it was taken at my house: same car, same type housing tract... if you see your Model 3 driving around town, it's me.....

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
OK. According to SC rep, they have replaced the high voltage controller but it is keep throwing more error messages and they are not sure what is going on. So they are connecting with Tesla engineer to figure out the issue. So looks like I am going to be stuck with an APless classic MS signature for a few more days. They still don't want to give me a loaner with AP. Ugggg...

Glad they are getting to the bottom of this.

At a level 2 charger the other day, I was not able to charge due to amp problems. The car kept shutting down the charge and sending many error messages that were on a log with Tesla. I was told there would a software update to fix this.

It is a Tesla destination charging point that is listed at their website.

Maybe tonight’s new update will fix this for me. I should also try some other level 2 chargers in my area.

My home one works fine.

Appreciate ur update. Weird u cannot get a car with ap in it. I assume you already know how it works

At a level 2 charger the other day, I was not able to charge due to amp problems. The car kept shutting down the charge and sending many error messages that were on a log with Tesla. I was told there would a software update to fix this.

It is a Tesla destination charging point that is listed at their website.

Maybe tonight’s new update will fix this for me. I should also try some other level 2 chargers in my area.

My home one works fine.
Keep in mind that for all level 1 and 2 AC charging (100 to 240 olts) over J1772 or over Tesla's proprietary connector, the external unit is NOT a charger. It is an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). It's basically a smart safety switch. The charger is on-board the car.

For DC charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger, CHAdeMO, CCS, etc.) the external unit is a charger. Please see Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and cellogig
every loaner from rocklin i've had did not have AP.

figured it was a liability issue... don't want to have an AP related accident on a rental.

your OP, i thought for a sec it was taken at my house: same car, same type housing tract... if you see your Model 3 driving around town, it's me.....

When I asked for an AP car at Rocklin, lady there told me that she has MX to loan me but after she talked to her manager, she changed her story and told me that MX is not available but I can have MS (signature). Hmmmm... really? You just showed me a MX key and for some reason, it's not available now? I didn't want to make a big deal since I figured I would get my car back next day. Well... it's has been 5 days and still no car.

I am in the Lakeside community. US Home track.

• Informative
When I asked for an AP car at Rocklin, lady there told me that she has MX to loan me but after she talked to her manager, she changed her story and told me that MX is not available but I can have MS (signature). Hmmmm... really? You just showed me a MX key and for some reason, it's not available now? I didn't want to make a big deal since I figured I would get my car back next day. Well... it's has been 5 days and still no car.

I am in the Lakeside community. US Home track.
my guess is that they hold model x loaners for model x owners.

be glad you didn't get an ICE... they've been known to do that when out of tesla loaners.

Stonelake, baby.

• Informative
Well... I called SC twice already for any update. Basically, my car is still not working and they have no clue. They said, they are waiting for Fremont engineering team to solve this but no news, yet. Sounds like engineering team has no clue as well... I really don't want mine to be a lemon. Plus, I hate driving this clunky antique MS. uggggg...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well... the part is here and they plan to install it tomorrow. I kept asking (texting) them why it failed and they are not answering. Brand new parts shouldn't be failing this early.
haha - you keep texting them? You're going to quickly become a *favorite* customer.

They may not know why it failed - I'm sure there will be an engineering investigation. Service gets cars up and running, but they don't necessarily identify root cause. Let them do their work in peace (ie, let them work on other customer cars - Stop texting!).

As far as 'brand new parts should not fail' - it's not uncommon for electrical components to pass testing & then fail within the first 30 days of use (commonly referred to as 'infant mortality'). I wouldn't draw any conclusions about my car because of a failure like yours. A component failure doesn't make your car a lemon.
:)

Update: I see that there is an engineering investigation now. Seriously, quit calling them. I'm surprised they haven't turned off remote access to your car, that's pretty much SOP for cars coming into any service center. And if anyone from Tesla is watching this thread, they'll prob have it turned off.