TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery won’t charge and now it’s totally dead

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by RyanS, Apr 15, 2018.

1. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

I don’t have HPWC. UMC. Two cases were related to gen 1 UMC. Third one was with HPWC.
    Really have no idea why it failed.

• Informative x 1
  2. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

No idea about yours? I thought you got the answer - faulty high voltage controller. Or you're questioning other cases?

3. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Was it a simple electrical part failure or was it related to type of charger I used???

We still haven’t heard anything from the other two owners with similar failure. I wonder what their fixes were.

4. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Any news on your car?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The charger is in your car, so the only type you used is the integral Model 3 charger.

The EVSE you used to connect power to your Model is highly unlikely to make any diference. (Iy is essentially just a glorified relay in a box.)

• Like x 2
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Yes. For more context, OP should look at Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

For level 1 and 2 AC charging over J1772 and Tesla's proprietary connector (just J1772 behind the scenes), the external unit (e.g. mobile connector or wall connector) are just EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). Charger is on-board the car.

See Wayback Machine and Basics of SAE J1772 : OpenEVSE Support.

For DC (usually fast) charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger, CHAdeMO and CCS (SAE Combo aka Combo1 or Combo2), the external unit is a charger and the OBC is bypassed. Teslas aren't currently compatible with CCS and Model 3 isn't compatible w/CHAdeMO yet.

• Informative x 1
  7. angelman

angelman Member

So I just passed 3000 miles and sheet latest firmware update I have the same issue. Car started reported interrupted charging a couple of weeks ago I didn't think anything of it until I found car had hardly charged in the kidding one day. Charge port wouldn't unlock. I found fiddling with a few buttons, opening trunk etc. Kicked it back into like and I could unplug and continue divingd fine. Each day this happened and it got harder to get it going. I noticed the fans in the front kept cycling but never kicking in properly. Then error messages about car needing service unable to drive etc. Appeared. Then over more days messages appeared while driving. I could charge sporadically big noticed the car teporirep huge battery drain, 309w/mile instead of my usual 250/260. Finally this weekend I had to leave the car at home. I left it charging with 140 miles left. Today the car won't do anything. I can use the screen, open doors and have 100 mile left but nothing else works. Charge cable is locked in, no AC etc. I have an appointment booked for tomorrow.. but now can't get it there..
    I wonder if a tow truck will get up my narrow driveway to get the car.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

To be clear, the correct units are watt-hours per mile (Wh/mile).

9. Phul9112

Phul9112 New Member

I just had the same issue with my MX, didn't get any error codes, but it wouldn't take the charging cable, and keep it in, and nothing on the LEDs, had to get it towed 150 miles to the nearest service station to Vegas from Kingman, its at the shop now, and they are running diagnostics on it now, lets see what happens!