Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2014 Model S P85 with 2,000 miles on it. The seller paid 115K for it and I bought it for 45K. The seller was elderly and never drove it. I was concerned the battery may have somehow been damaged sitting so long so I decided to do a 100% charge. I was pleasantly surprised when the battery charged to 263 miles with only a 2 mile degradation since time of purchase. Pretty amazing.

I just purchased a 2014 Model S P85 with 2,000 miles on it. The seller paid 115K for it and I bought it for 45K. The seller was elderly and never drove it. I was concerned the battery may have somehow been damaged sitting so long so I decided to do a 100% charge. I was pleasantly surprised when the battery charged to 263 miles with only a 2 mile degradation since time of purchase. Pretty amazing.

Hope someone got their $35 per mile worth. Congratulations, nice find.

Great news and congrats. I wanted to share this with you.... I purchased a 2018 Model S 75d with 15k miles. Recently, It went from 259 at 100% to 237 at 100%, apparently overnight. Did Tesla cap the capacity of the battery to protect it and increase longevity? Some posts say yes and there are some articles on it. It was after the most recent update. Anyone else get this also??

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr

Wait, you are telling us someone absolutely babied the car for 6 years and the first thing you do is charge it to 100%? :p:D

Kidding, of course. Congrats but as others have said, please don't leave your car sitting at 100%. Anything after 90% you should only charge when going on a trip someplace and start driving right away.

If it drives good, find out what SW revision you have and DON”T UPGRADE....hahahaha

Surprised no one warned the OP about the various Gates, ie, Regen, charging or battery. If the car is on V8 or V9, DONT update!

Seconding this! Older firmware was faster and more responsive, less glitchy, and you risk losing 50 miles of range and another 50 horsepower loss if you update to the newest firmware, and your supercharging speeds will be cut in half if not worse. If you don't have autopilot, there is effectively zero reason to update and a lot of reasons why you shouldn't.

Stay on the old software and enjoy your car as it was when it was new!

I purchased a 2018 Model S 75d with 15k miles. Recently, It went from 259 at 100% to 237 at 100%, apparently overnight. Did Tesla cap the capacity of the battery to protect it and increase longevity? Some posts say yes and there are some articles on it. It was after the most recent update. Anyone else get this also??

You've been hit by batterygate Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software @Jimsantacruz this shouldn't apply to you but read the problems Tesla has intentionally inflicted on older cars like ours in that thread if you're tempted to update. DON'T UPDATE! Your car is brand new, don't let Tesla downgrade it to a rickety old car overnight.

Last edited: