Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m a new owner living in Chicago my battery goes down SUPER FAST I don’t understand why. I don’t have my charger installed yet next week but omg. For example I charged to 80% which for the long range is 262 miles in my model y. Drive 10 miles I have 199miles left I don’t get it everything is off no camera on nothing what is going on. Someone please help me out. Thanks.

So I’m a new owner living in Chicago my battery goes down SUPER FAST I don’t understand why. I don’t have my charger installed yet next week but omg. For example I charged to 80% which for the long range is 262 miles in my model y. Drive 10 miles I have 199miles left I don’t get it everything is off no camera on nothing what is going on. Someone please help me out. Thanks.
I'm guessing your temperatures are not too different from what we've been getting in Minnesota, which has been single digits to negative. I knew the Model Y's range would take a hit in the winter but it was eye opening to see how much of a hit it took with temps around 0F. I think it was basically halved from what I got even with temps in the 40s, when you take into account how much battery preconditioning I've been doing before driving.

I would also suggest getting used to going by the battery percentage instead of miles display (I used the percentage display from day one), and get a good idea on your car's efficiency by observing the various readouts on energy consumption, so you know how much range you have an a given temperature and/or speed. I think with EVs you need to be a lot more in tune with how your car operates compared to an ICE to get maximum utility and enjoyment out of it.

Reactions: Aibrahim
Upvote 0
Always precondition the Tesla Model Y for at least 10 minutes when the outside temperature is below 40F, longer if below 32F.

Tesla has stated that they have revised the displayed range estimate (downwards) based on winter temperatures.

As @avs007 noted, most experienced Tesla drivers favor the % state of charge (SOC) display over the range estimate. The range estimate does not consider wind, road conditions or traffic. Until recently the range estimate did not take into account the outside air temperature.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing your temperatures are not too different from what we've been getting in Minnesota, which has been single digits to negative. I knew the Model Y's range would take a hit in the winter but it was eye opening to see how much of a hit it took with temps around 0F. I think it was basically halved from what I got even with temps in the 40s, when you take into account how much battery preconditioning I've been doing before driving.

I would also suggest getting used to going by the battery percentage instead of miles display (I used the percentage display from day one), and get a good idea on your car's efficiency by observing the various readouts on energy consumption, so you know how much range you have an a given temperature and/or speed. I think with EVs you need to be a lot more in tune with how your car operates compared to an ICE to get maximum utility and enjoyment out of it.
Yes I think it’s going to take a lot to getting used to be this is my first electric car. Also how do you charge?

Upvote 0
Always precondition the Tesla Model Y for at least 10 minutes when the outside temperature is below 40F, longer if below 32F.

Tesla has stated that they have revised the displayed range estimate (downwards) based on winter temperatures.

As @avs007 noted, most experienced Tesla drivers favor the % state of charge (SOC) display over the range estimate. The range estimate does not consider wind, road conditions or traffic. Until recently the range estimate did not take into account the outside air temperature.
Yes I do pre condition the batter before driving I think it would be better when I can plug in at home and not have to worry about it if that makes sense.

Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
As a reference, the rough energy consumption numbers at different temperature ranges for my MYP are:

40~80F: Average 270~280 Wh/Mi; I didn't see much differences from 40F and up.
20~32F: Average 320~350 Wh/Mi; efficiency gets noticeably worse around freezing.
0~10F: Average 420~450 Wh/Mi; efficiency really takes a dive when it gets into single digits.

I would expect lower numbers in a Long Range.

Upvote 0
... I don’t have my charger installed yet next week but omg. ...

May we assume you are using the supplied mobile charger on a 120v outlet? Based on the amount of driving you are reporting that should take care of your daily charging needs. None the less, the more powerful Tesla charger, attached to a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-50) will certainly be far faster.

I use the mobile charger on a NEMA 14-50 outlet and see around 25~30 miles of range per hour of charge. Which means that, effectively, I can go from way too little State of Charge (SoC) to 100% (if I so desire) easily overnight.

Please let us know what charging set-up you are putting in to give us all a better idea as to how to address your concerns.

Rich

Tesla MY LR AWD in AZ garage attached to mobile connector.
pL4YGru.jpg

Upvote 0
For example I charged to 80% which for the long range is 262 miles in my model y. Drive 10 miles I have 199miles left
If this is true, I’d get the car checked out.

I’m in Chicago, too. I also charge to 80% at 258 miles. My one way to work is 30 miles. The car would have around 200 miles left. Sometimes lower when it’s very cold out.

Upvote 0
If this is true, I’d get the car checked out.

I’m in Chicago, too. I also charge to 80% at 258 miles. My one way to work is 30 miles. The car would have around 200 miles left. Sometimes lower when it’s very cold out.

That would be a complete 100% waste of time by this OP (making any sort of appointment to get the car checked out because it has higher consumption than they expected).

Tesla would cancel the appointment, try to explain all the reasons why that could be, and tell them its "within spec", just like most of the people in the 1300+ page thread in the model 3 subforum on this topic of range / battery degradation etc.

We dont know how the OP was driving. We dont know how long they pre conditioned. We dont know if the battery was cold soaked or not. We DO know its winter, and winter consumption is higher. We DO know that short trips use exponentially more power, mostly due to needing to both warm the battery and cabin.

We also know that tesla will do nothing for higher consumption, as that is not a warranty thing, and in virtually every case has nothing to do with battery health, for model 3s and Ys. We also know that tesla will state the battery warranty is 70% capacity for 8 years or 120k miles, and until those things happpen, or the car throws actual error codes, they will do nothing.

So, recommending someone go to tesla because their consumption is higher than they expected, will just get them a canceled appointment, and likely frustrated posting here about how horrible tesla is.

Upvote 0