Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m a new owner living in Chicago my battery goes down SUPER FAST I don’t understand why. I don’t have my charger installed yet next week but omg. For example I charged to 80% which for the long range is 262 miles in my model y. Drive 10 miles I have 199miles left I don’t get it everything is off no camera on nothing what is going on. Someone please help me out. Thanks.

That would be a complete 100% waste of time by this OP (making any sort of appointment to get the car checked out because it has higher consumption than they expected).

Tesla would cancel the appointment, try to explain all the reasons why that could be, and tell them its "within spec", just like most of the people in the 1300+ page thread in the model 3 subforum on this topic of range / battery degradation etc.

We dont know how the OP was driving. We dont know how long they pre conditioned. We dont know if the battery was cold soaked or not. We DO know its winter, and winter consumption is higher. We DO know that short trips use exponentially more power, mostly due to needing to both warm the battery and cabin.

We also know that tesla will do nothing for higher consumption, as that is not a warranty thing, and in virtually every case has nothing to do with battery health, for model 3s and Ys. We also know that tesla will state the battery warranty is 70% capacity for 8 years or 120k miles, and until those things happpen, or the car throws actual error codes, they will do nothing.

So, recommending someone go to tesla because their consumption is higher than they expected, will just get them a canceled appointment, and likely frustrated posting here about how horrible tesla is.
Right maybe I should not have suggested that. I’m just saying if the OP’s statement is true, driving 10 miles makes the battery goes from 80% to ~60%, that just doesn’t seem right. OP, what’s the wh/mi in that 10 miles?

Upvote 0
I've owned an S and currently own the X and Y. I have never seen such terrible efficiency as I do with the Y. I know we drive a little faster here in Houston but I'm seeing not much more than 72 to 79 efficiency. Even with the car sitting at work, it looks ugly.

1643403680897.png

This is rolling to work half beltway half street. 40deg, heat on high fan at 4.
1643403914387.png

Upvote 0
Yes I do pre condition the batter before driving I think it would be better when I can plug in at home and not have to worry about it if that makes sense.

Preconditioning wastes energy in exchange for comfort and some additional convenience (more regen). If you’re relying on superchargers while you wait for home charging to be installed, you can save a lot of range by not preconditioning.

The only time I precondition for more than 5 minutes is if I’m planning to embark on a long trip or if I need to Supercharge and the battery is cold.

Upvote 0
Also, I have to precondition way more than 10 minutes, even when it's 40 degrees. I have to precondition at least 30-45 minutes at a minimum, otherwise I get zero regen going down our hill.

You’re using more energy heating the battery up than you’re getting back in regenerative braking. You’ll use less energy overall if you don’t precondition, especially for short trips. If you want a warm cabin, five minutes is all it takes.

Upvote 0
I've owned an S and currently own the X and Y. I have never seen such terrible efficiency as I do with the Y. I know we drive a little faster here in Houston but I'm seeing not much more than 72 to 79 efficiency. Even with the car sitting at work, it looks ugly.

View attachment 761441

View attachment 761444
That seems a bit high for power consumption. On my MYP with 19" aftermarket wheels and winter tires, I was seeing around 280 Wh/Mi in 40F weather, with HVAC on auto probably around 68F. This would be with a mix of highway and city driving.

Upvote 0
You’re using more energy heating the battery up than you’re getting back in regenerative braking. You’ll use less energy overall if you don’t precondition, especially for short trips. If you want a warm cabin, five minutes is all it takes.
Maybe, but I think it's close. When I leave the climate on, I lose less than 1% in 30 minutes. However, when I descend our hill, I can regen close to 2% back. With that being said tho, it really is a pain in the ass to descend our hill with no regen, as I'll have to ride the brake the whole way down... In my other cars, I just go down the hill in 2nd or 3rd gear, depending which car I'm in. Honestly I could care less how much energy I'm consuming going up and down the hill. I'd rather one pedal drive down our hill instead of guessing how much regen I have. If I don't precondition long enough, I'll start out with regen near the top, but then end up with zero regen towards the middle.

But anyways, I don't remember there being any hills when I was visiting my brother in Chicago, so the OP probably doesn't need to precondition that long over there :)

Upvote 0

View attachment 761444

Interesting... I just checked mine... My last short trip, I averaged 480 Wh/Mile, but that's including a 1000ft elevation change, and it's 32 degrees outside, and I had the climate set to 68. Otherwise, my rolling average is right around 300 Wh/Mile.

Upvote 0
On a side note, you have your heat set to "HI", as in max heat? I wonder if that's what is making your consumption so high? Even when it was in the teens over here, I never set the heat higher than 70-72 degrees.. Most of the time, I feel like 70 is too hot, and I end up lowering it to 68 while I'm driving, lol.

Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 0
Tesla states up to 29 miles per hour of range can be added to the battery when using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug and a 14-50 receptacle. (I typically get 25 to 26 miles of range added for each hour that I charge.)
Oh not bad I down own a home yet so I don’t want to install and Tesla wall charger in someone else’s house if that makes sense. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
May we assume you are using the supplied mobile charger on a 120v outlet? Based on the amount of driving you are reporting that should take care of your daily charging needs. None the less, the more powerful Tesla charger, attached to a 240v outlet (NEMA 14-50) will certainly be far faster.

I use the mobile charger on a NEMA 14-50 outlet and see around 25~30 miles of range per hour of charge. Which means that, effectively, I can go from way too little State of Charge (SoC) to 100% (if I so desire) easily overnight.

Please let us know what charging set-up you are putting in to give us all a better idea as to how to address your concerns.

Rich

Tesla MY LR AWD in AZ garage attached to mobile connector.
pL4YGru.jpg
Hi Rich thank you so much for reaching out. Now sure if you know I’m from Chicago freezing so I’m sure it it havoc Jon my battery but honestly from the picture that is going to be my same setup that you have with the nema 14-50 then when I purchase a home I’m going to install the Tesla wall connector.

Upvote 0
Preconditioning wastes energy in exchange for comfort and some additional convenience (more regen). If you’re relying on superchargers while you wait for home charging to be installed, you can save a lot of range by not preconditioning.

The only time I precondition for more than 5 minutes is if I’m planning to embark on a long trip or if I need to Supercharge and the battery is cold.
Really okay that’s also good to know how thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Wow okay and that’s in a nema 14-50. Right.
Yep. You can charge slightly faster if you use a wall connector instead of the mobile charger, becuase you can charge at 48A on a 60A breaker or 40A on a 50A breaker, but you are limited to 32A with the gen-II mobile charger.. For me, I found 32A was plenty fast... If I need anything faster, I can just go to a nearby supercharger...

Upvote 0
If you have a 14-50 outlet installed, make sure that it is oriented so that the mobile connector hangs down, not like in the photo in post #17.
Orientation of the ground terminal is not specified in the NEC for home installations. You can orient the NEMA receptacle however works best for your situation. I.e. if the wires enter the surface mounted receptacle from below using conduit then you may want to have the NEMA receptacle oriented so the ground terminal is at 12 O'clock or another orientation. The Tesla Cable organizer includes a wall mount bracket for the Gen2 Mobile Connector chassis that can be used with different orientations. (See photos: 2 and 3.)

Cable Organizer

Upvote 0
Orientation of the ground terminal is not specified in the NEC for home installations. You can orient the NEMA receptacle however works best for your situation. I.e. if the wires enter the surface mounted receptacle from below using conduit then you may want to have the NEMA receptacle oriented so the ground terminal is at 12 O'clock or another orientation. The Tesla Cable organizer includes a wall mount bracket for the Gen2 Mobile Connector chassis that can be used with different orientations. (See photos: 2 and 3.)

Cable Organizer
Yes, to all that, but simply on a new installation its best to arrange that the mobile connector hangs down.

Upvote 0