Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battling bad etiquette by both EV and ICE drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My flat's underground car park has a handful of parking spots with electric chargers.

There's a persistent issue where both ICE drivers and EV/PHEV drivers park in those bays...even when the latter aren't plugged in and charging!

Totally frustrating - fortunately I don't need to charge everyday, but I did go through a phase of leaving notes on some cars asking them not to park there. Helped for a bit but has now reverted.

I confronted one of the drivers today - BMW i3 owner. He complained that he needs to because otherwise he doesn't get a spot and he only has 40 miles range unlike my Tesla's 200 miles (as if that's my problem?!)... I explained that he is basically part of the problem too though, by parking there even when he doesn't need to.

Anyway, clearly he's the lesser of the two evils, but am I wrong to have confronted him??

I see the inevitable consequence now though - he will do the same as before, but just plug in every time so he can't be accused of not needing to charge. Sigh.

(As an aside, I'm confident my Sentry Mode has caught him using his second car - an enormous ICE SUV - to hog electric spots - but I need to collect more evidence. In any case, he'll say he needs to because he needs to be able charge etc)

Bit of a rant, thank you for reading!

Totally feel your pain.

Glasgow's public chargers (free for now, so that's great) are prone to being blocked by non evs or evs that finished charging sometime ago and can't be bothered to move their vehicle to let someone else charge.

I feel this will become quite an issue as EV takeup accellerates. How about parking EV's at pumps when shopping at service stations?
Personally I am not an activist along that line but ICE drivers simply see charging bays as reserved for them.

It will get worse before it gets better as more destination chargers are installed. It looks as if long cables will be something to invest in for the forseeable future. :p

I feel this will become quite an issue as EV takeup accellerates. How about parking EV's at pumps when shopping at service stations?
Personally I am not an activist along that line but ICE drivers simply see charging bays as reserved for them.

It will get worse before it gets better as more destination chargers are installed. It looks as if long cables will be something to invest in for the forseeable future. :p
The 4m cable supplied with the Tesla has definitely been a big help!

I also "threatened" to block him in if I needed to charge...he shrugged, so I'm taking that as a greenlight :)

• Love
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I confronted one of the drivers today - BMW i3 owner. He complained that he needs to because otherwise he doesn't get a spot and he only has 40 miles range unlike my Tesla's 200 miles (as if that's my problem?!)... I explained that he is basically part of the problem
He might be related to the i3 driver that thought it was OK to hit the EPO button on a 50 kW charger, disconnect the lead going to my car and then connect himself....

Because he thought I “had enough range already”

toss pot

Reactions: bhav
How about settings up a WhatsApp group or similar, so you can coordinate who needs to charge when?

If the EV owners worked together, rather than against each other, you could actually reduce the ICEing issue.

Or is that too civilised?
Potentially - this is a car park with 60-70 spaces (but only 8 or so EV spots), so the coordination might become a faff...people just need to park in the other spots when they don't need the EV ones!

Funny enough there is an i3 driver in my building who always blocks one of the charging spots (we have 8 slots and 10 BEV and 3 PHEV in the building) we also have an i8 that has been plugged in and hasn't moved for 2.5 months (man thats one slow charge rate!) And an electric van driver who leave his charger cable connected to one of the chargers .

I have a passive/aggressive battle with the van driver in I remove his cable when he's not her so I can charge (its in the easiest to get to spot) this culminated in him actually unplugging my car whilst it was charging. Shocking behaviour. Sadly I had to complain to building management about that. The ideas about getting a WhatsApp group together or a rota sound good. I'm moving to a new building with fewer charge points soon. Its just about using common decency.

As an aside. I'm the only Tesla driver out of 4 in the building, who actually uses the charges. The other 3 charge for free at work. Something I could do myself before lockdown.

Reactions: Sean. and bhav
Potentially - this is a car park with 60-70 spaces (but only 8 or so EV spots), so the coordination might become a faff...people just need to park in the other spots when they don't need the EV ones!

You could post a note at the charging point to contact the whatsapp (or what*ever*) group if someone needs charing and there is an issue, and also a request to ensure one is in that group when parking there. This way if someone is in need, they can ask who's already parking but can give way. Or something. Or organize more charging points.