Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area broken windows and car break ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted at one time in San Francisco...
Myep-manifesto_0415.jpg

That flyer is a shame but I don't think it's the cause. I wouldn't be surprised if it's relatively few individuals doing the greatest number of break-ins solely for financial gain and not trying to drive people out. I bet when they get caught, there's no real consequences so the incentive is great to prowl the streets at night and commit their crimes. That was happening here and the police got very aggressive against them, shaming the courts and judges who let them out like a revolving door, citing their long criminal records, and telling residents that their vehicles were not safe as long as the judges keep letting them out. They also got politicians on side and they started a very successful bait car program and gave them easy plants with goodies, then kept sending them back to the courts, and telling the courts they would keep seeing them until they shut the door on them. It worked.

SURREY
– 2012 marks the 10th anniversary of the Province’s Bait Car Program – and March also happens to be Auto Crime Enforcement Month. Since 2002, British Columbia has been the most successful region in North America in decreasing auto crime.​
Quotes:
“The Bait Car Program has enjoyed amazing success, with 67 per cent fewer auto crime incidents in Surrey since 2003. It’s truly a testament to the success of the program and the effectiveness of the IMPACT squad.”
- Surrey-Tynehead MLA Dave S. Hayer
“For ten years the Bait Car Program has reduced auto crime in Surrey by apprehending car thieves red handed. The numbers don’t lie. Since 2003, auto thefts in Surrey have dropped by 67 per cent.”
- Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Kevin Falcon
Additional Information:

• The Bait Car Program started in 2002 and has been remarkably effective at reducing auto crime across the province.
  • British Columbia is home to North America’s largest Bait Car Program while IMPACT (Integrated Municipal Provincial auto Crime Team), keeps the fleet up to date with modern theft practices.
  • Bait trailers were introduced last year and commercial vehicles are coming out this year as part of program upgrades.
  • In 2011, auto car theft dropped 20% which builds on the previous year’s 22 per cent drop.

It looks like this program is mainly designed to prevent cars from being stolen, not so much vandalism and theft from the car :

"IMPACT operates and manages the Bait Car Program for the Greater Vancouver area, Vancouver Island, the BC Interior, and the North - it is now the largest Bait Car fleet in North America. The Vancouver Police Department operate their own bait car program for the actual City of Vancouver, but IMPACT provides bait cars for the surrounding 16 municipalities.
A bait car is a vehicle owned by the police and is intended to be stolen. After a bait car is stolen, the location, speed, and direction of travel of the vehicle is monitored by police dispatchers at E-Comm through GPS tracking. Everything that takes place inside the bait car is caught on audio and video. The dispatcher will coordinate a police response and once officers are in position behind the bait car, the engine will be disabled at the click of a mouse button which allows for the quick arrest of the car thieves."

It doesn't seem to have done much to reduce break-ins with 2014 being the highest in recent years. Still, it seems to help with auto thefts:
2015-theft-from-vehicles.png

That flyer is a shame but I don't think it's the cause. I wouldn't be surprised if it's relatively few individuals doing the greatest number of break-ins solely for financial gain and not trying to drive people out. I bet when they get caught, there's no real consequences so the incentive is great to prowl the streets at night and commit their crimes. That was happening here and the police got very aggressive against them, shaming the courts and judges who let them out like a revolving door, citing their long criminal records, and telling residents that their vehicles were not safe as long as the judges keep letting them out. They also got politicians on side and they started a very successful bait car program and gave them easy plants with goodies, then kept sending them back to the courts, and telling the courts they would keep seeing them until they shut the door on them. It worked.

SURREY
– 2012 marks the 10th anniversary of the Province’s Bait Car Program – and March also happens to be Auto Crime Enforcement Month. Since 2002, British Columbia has been the most successful region in North America in decreasing auto crime.​
Quotes:
“The Bait Car Program has enjoyed amazing success, with 67 per cent fewer auto crime incidents in Surrey since 2003. It’s truly a testament to the success of the program and the effectiveness of the IMPACT squad.”
- Surrey-Tynehead MLA Dave S. Hayer
“For ten years the Bait Car Program has reduced auto crime in Surrey by apprehending car thieves red handed. The numbers don’t lie. Since 2003, auto thefts in Surrey have dropped by 67 per cent.”
- Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Kevin Falcon
Additional Information:

• The Bait Car Program started in 2002 and has been remarkably effective at reducing auto crime across the province.
  • British Columbia is home to North America’s largest Bait Car Program while IMPACT (Integrated Municipal Provincial auto Crime Team), keeps the fleet up to date with modern theft practices.
  • Bait trailers were introduced last year and commercial vehicles are coming out this year as part of program upgrades.
  • In 2011, auto car theft dropped 20% which builds on the previous year’s 22 per cent drop.

The complete list from William Boetcker (not A. Lincoln)

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
3. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
4. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
5. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man’s initiative and independence.
6. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
7. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
9. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
10 You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

Hey, whatever it takes so you can get a good nights sleep.

It is my decidedly non-political view that as violent and generally antisocial episodes increase (see mass shootings, car burglaries, and everything in between, claims of downward trends notwithstanding), it is incumbent upon the individual to rely less upon scarce resources (e.g., law enforcement personnel) and more upon one's own abilities and training.

At minimum, consider carrying a small container of pepper spray in the door storage area. Amazon sells 3-packs of these and you can even get them in California as long as you don't mind pink instead of black 3" containers (true story). Often, simply getting away from a bad situation is your best option, and a quick spray of that stuff can buy you a couple of seconds to do just that. Much less paperwork, delay, hassle and trauma involved than shooting somebody. You may only wish you had it one time in 10 or 20 years, but that's what preparation is all about. Better to have it and not need it than... blah blah blah.

Sad fact is that most people have few abilities and even less training. It will probably take a generation or more, but taking more responsibility for one's personal security and for the security of one's goods is, despite the inevitable handwringing from the inevitable few, a Good Thing. I applaud everyone's restraint nonetheless. It is reasonable to assert that California, for all of its good and bad, is not the best state in which to be found defending oneself no matter how in the right one is, relative to, say, Arizona or Texas. That's not political spin - that's a fact. Google "Redondo Beach resident shoots burglar (who confronted the resident) caught stealing motorcycle. Police investigation continues."

With regard to SFO, well, as much as I enjoyed the Bay Area when I lived there, I have no problem now in just keeping on keeping on until I hit the Oregon border. Or at least Marin and Humboldt, once getting up to the redwoods (coastal route between the Bay Area via the Ukiah/Eureka/Century City SCs) becomes more doable without the present 200-mile detour.

SFO won't miss my traveling money, the self-righteous criminal denizen element therein won't miss me, and I certainly won't miss them. At this point, I'd rather avoid as many hassles as possible, and prepare reasonably for the rest.

If you think you're smart enough to be rich enough to afford a Model S, maybe you should think that you should be smart enough not to have to resort to varying methods of violence as the right way to protect yourself and others from crime. Because pepper spray will keep your windows from being smashed as well :confused:

Disdain for the political process is not an excuse to be ignorant on public affairs. Maybe we should wait for it to get bad enough where instead of individual anarchists posting bills we have mobs in the street setting up guillotines. But hey, the French revolution happened a long time ago, right?

This topic should be especially relevant for Model S owners. If it's the coming climate disaster that you're trying to fix by buying a Model S, what exactly do you think will happen to the people smashing your windows when they are displaced by extreme weather or can't feed themselves or their family with skyrocketing cost of food and water?

An idiot in Athenian democracy was someone who was characterized by self-centeredness and concerned almost exclusively with private—as opposed to public—affairs.[SUP][6][/SUP] Idiocy was the natural state of ignorance into which all persons were born and its opposite, citizenship, was effected through formalized education.[SUP][6][/SUP] In Athenian democracy, idiots were born and citizens were made through education (although citizenship was also largely hereditary). "Idiot" originally referred to "layman, person lacking professional skill", "person so mentally deficient as to be incapable of ordinary reasoning". Declining to take part in public life, such as democratic government of the polis (city state), was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to individuals with overall bad judgment–individuals who are "stupid".

At minimum, consider carrying a small container of pepper spray in the door storage area. Amazon sells 3-packs of these and you can even get them in California as long as you don't mind pink instead of black 3" containers (true story). Often, simply getting away from a bad situation is your best option, and a quick spray of that stuff can buy you a couple of seconds to do just that. Much less paperwork, delay, hassle and trauma involved than shooting somebody. You may only wish you had it one time in 10 or 20 years, but that's what preparation is all about. Better to have it and not need it than... blah blah blah.

I agree. I bought a pink one of these for each of my three daughters and my wife:

Sabre Dog Deterrent Pink Case Spray | Canadian Tire

And I carry this one:

Sabre Dog Deterrent Clear Case Spray | Canadian Tire

With our firearms restrictions in Canada, at least we are allowed to carry this stuff but people don't realize they sell it at our local Canadian Tire store. Even for just walking the dog in the park it keeps you safe. In my business, I've seen so many dog bite cases that I would prohibit anyone from owning pit bulls or rottweilers (I wouldn't take them away from people but I wouldn't allow anyone new to get one). Those dogs have been bred for many hundreds of years to fight and something in them can get triggered even though they may be owned by the best dog owner in the world, although usually it's not the best of people that are attracted to these breeds. I feel much better when my daughters have this small container in their purse or pocket. I sure wish this lady was carrying it:

First Nations elder mauled to death by dog on reserve near Kamloops

As someone who has been driving in and through SF for many years, I think the fears expressed by some in this thread are misplaced. Personally I do not find car travel in SF to be terrifying or even worrisome.

According to the NHTSA, rural driving is 2.5x more likely to kill you than urban driving - and that's irrespective of the urban locale. I think everyone's overlooking the true danger as they barrel up the 101 in a hurry to get out of San Francisco.

Reminds me of the hoopla surrounding glyphosate (generic name for Round-Up brand herbicide) being found in beer in trace quantities. People were up in arms because it's a possible carcinogen. Nobody talked about the known carcinogen - alcohol - that's in beer in much greater quantity.

Last edited:
As someone who has been driving in and through SF for many years, I think the fears expressed by some in this thread are misplaced. Personally I do not find car travel in SF to be terrifying or even worrisome.
We've only been going for a few years, but never felt particularly unsafe taking the Model S up to the city. I'm more worried from this thread than anything I actually saw or experienced while up there, and I'll probably continue to take the Tesla up there. Might search out garages with attendants now instead of the most convenient spots, but that'd probably be about it.

It's not just SF, though. It happens all over the peninsula (see the other thread), and I saw a Model S in my building with smashed windows a few months ago (no glass, must have happened elsewhere).

I might have derailed this topic so I wanted to bring it back to its intended goal.

Given the design of the Tesla, even if your valuables are stored out of sight in the trunk, they might still be at risk. My car had no visible valuables but was broken into anyway, and the thieves were knowledgeable enough about the Tesla to get into the trunk and steal a briefcase of personal value but not monetary. I still advise storing any valuables in the frunk and not the trunk.

My comment about owning a rifle was unrelated to the car break in. It's something that helps me sleep at night in case there are riots or some sort of natural disaster. After the Giants won the World Series, there was rioting in my neighborhood and rowdy fans were throwing fireworks near the windows of my condo. It's more of a black-swan security policy.

While I wouldn't consider San Francisco (my birthplace) a dangerous city, it does seem to have a significantly higher crime rate than in almost every area, than New York City:

Crime Rate Comparison: San Francisco Vs. New York

It's more fair to compare to similar sized cities. San Francisco is the US's 13th largest. Compared to:

Jacksonville (12th):
Crime Rate Comparison: San Francisco Vs. Jacksonville

Indianapolis (14th):
Crime Rate Comparison: San Francisco Vs. Indianapolis

Columbus (15th):
Crime Rate Comparison: San Francisco Vs. Columbus

It's doing better than many others in that range. Austin (11th) is much safer by murder, but other violent crimes are up quite a bit.

Anyway, New York is a pretty safe city these days.. so make sure the comparison is fair.

Oh, I see you're from Sacramento....
Crime Rate Comparison: San Francisco Vs. Sacramento

Might want to take a trip to the safety of San Francisco... ;)