Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area Cost of Wall Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in hearing what other folks are paying to install a tesla wall charger.

One electrician is quoting me 2500 to install a wall charger (which doesn't include the wall charger cost). I park my car in a car park and my house is right next to my parking location. We don't have a crawl space so assuming the electrician will either need run the cables underground or something.

Does $2500 sound fair?

There are so many variables here. How far is the panel from your charging location? What kind of wall connector are you putting in and how many amps do you want available to it? Does the panel have to be upgraded? If not, does it already have a suitable circuit or will the breakers have to be installed? Is the conduit going above or below ground? How weatherproof does it all need to be? Do you care about cosmetic finishes? Where exactly are you located?

The one thing I would suggest is to get at least three estimates. Depending on how adventurous you are in terms of permits and inspections, you might get bids ranging between $500 and $3K+.

Here is a diagram at a high level.

• Amp - likely go 60, but may consider 90 to future proof
  • Wall connector - Tesla wall connector w/ 18ft cord
  • Panel looks fine (I think), likely need breaker installed
  • Conduit - no preference though electrician did say concrete is likely an issue since for our neighbor he trenched in dirt which we don't have
  • Needs to be weatherproof as this is exposed to the elements
  • Doesn't need to be beautiful - as long as it works
  • Berkeley/Emeryville Area

upload_2020-10-2_7-48-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-2_7-48-5.png
    upload_2020-10-2_7-48-5.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 132
Interested in hearing what other folks are paying to install a tesla wall charger.

One electrician is quoting me 2500 to install a wall charger (which doesn't include the wall charger cost). I park my car in a car park and my house is right next to my parking location. We don't have a crawl space so assuming the electrician will either need run the cables underground or something.

Does $2500 sound fair?

Prices these days for wall connector installations are all "unfair", it just depends on "how unfair" unfortunately. Most people are paying $1,500 including the charger, but there are a few who get it for less, some for a lot more.

Here is a diagram at a high level.

• Amp - likely go 60, but may consider 90 to future proof
  • Wall connector - Tesla wall connector w/ 18ft cord
  • Panel looks fine (I think), likely need breaker installed
  • Conduit - no preference though electrician did say concrete is likely an issue since for our neighbor he trenched in dirt which we don't have
  • Needs to be weatherproof as this is exposed to the elements
  • Doesn't need to be beautiful - as long as it works
  • Berkeley/Emeryville Area

View attachment 594566

A bit vague, but $2,500 probably reasonable for that.

Last edited:
Prices these days for wall connector installations are all "unfair", it just depends on "how unfair" unfortunately. Most people are paying $1,500 including the charger, but there are a few who get it for less, some for a lot more.

A bit vague, but $2,500 probably reasonable for that.

$2500 doesn't include the cost of the wall charger....so $3K all in. I still think that's a bit high...getting more quotes tonight

I paid $2,500 for:
  • Increase the main breaker from 100 > 125 amps
  • A new subpanel, while rerouting some of my switches
  • Routing under my house with conduit about under 50ft
  • Weather proof 14-50 plug
  • Permits and Inspection
Worth every penny.

Thanks this is helpful. Likely less complexities with my install but honestly I wouldnt know :). I do have another electrician coming by tonight who works for a larger company, but does do jobs on the side. Curious to see what they will charge.

$2500 doesn't include the cost of the wall charger....so $3K all in. I still think that's a bit high...getting more quotes tonight

It is expensive of course, but it looks like quite the job. If people are paying $800 labor ($200 parts) to run 30 feet of wire through an unfinished basement, it is a wonder that they even show up for the more difficult jobs.

Your drawing is vague, doesn't include distances (neighbors 1-3 aren't relevant), where your panel is, any sidewalks, etc. A picture of your car in front of your house would be more descriptive, but I think it is sufficient to say that the job is probably very complicated. If that is the case, $2,500 is going to be on the low end.

Last edited:
It is expensive of course, but it looks like quite the job. If people are paying $800 labor ($200 parts) to run 30 feet of wire through an unfinished basement, it is a wonder that they even show up for the more difficult jobs.

Your drawing is vague, doesn't include distances (neighbors 1-3 aren't relevant), where your panel is, any sidewalks, etc. A picture of your car in front of your house would be more descriptive, but I think it is sufficient to say that the job is probably very complicated. If that is the case, $2,500 is going to be on the low end.

Shopped around and it may be a "fair" quote from talking to a contractor I know. One more quote tomorrow then pulling the trigger

Just had the last electrician swing by. She quoted roughly $500 to do the work. Charging 1/2 the hourly rate her employer would charge since it's her side hustle for weekends.

She has high review on Yelp so guess I know who I'm going to use once my connector gets delivered

Does $2500 sound fair?

Where is your electrical panel? Is it nearby?
I paid $800 in San Francisco. But my panel is next to my wall charger.

Where is your electrical panel? Is it nearby?
I paid $800 in San Francisco. But my panel is next to my wall charger.

It is close by - roughly 10 ft from where I want my charger, however, I don't want the electrician to snake conduit inside my house (i don't have a crawl space). What they're planning to do is snake it around the outside which is roughly 20-30ft from my front door to the location where I want it installed.

I've gotten quotes for $2500, $500, and $1K. I'm more inclined to think the going rate if I hired a company is roughly $1K based on the quotes I got. The electrician who quoted me $500 is doing the work as a side hustle and charging 75/hr vs if I hired her directly through her employer which would run $180hr.

I paid $ 1590 ( in 2018) in San Jose , including a permit and inspection. ~40 ft of 50 Amp wiring plus a new circuit from the PG&E panel. Inspection is recommended in case of any problem such as fire etc to avoid and liability