Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a MY at Serramonte today. Overall, a good experience. The car was easy to find and I was able to take all the time I wanted to inspect the exterior. There were no employees outside. Once I decided that the exterior was good enough to accept delivery (see below), I logged in to the app, unlocked the car, and went over the interior as well. When I brought the paperwork inside the delivery office (the whole thing still looks very temporary), the advisor happily came outside with me and dutifully documented and photographed every issue I pointed out.

All of the problems were cosmetic and most are quite minor. All doors, hatches, and lids operate as they're supposed to and, based on the short drive on the way home, there are no weird wind noises or propulsion issues. It's charging fine, the wireless phone charger works, and I was able to format the memory card on the first try.

I've already been able to schedule a mobile service appointment for next week (well within the 7-day return period) on the following issues:
  1. There are two small paint flaws on one of the quarter panels. One looks like a tiny inclusion, the other like an odd wavy spot, maybe 1" long. Both are only noticeable if you look at a certain angle and depending on the lighting.
  2. The rear hatch and one of the front doors are misaligned. For the hatch, the passenger side is inset deeper at the bottom than the driver side, by maybe 3-4 mm. Similar thing with the door: it lines up at the top and in the middle, but at the bottom it sits about 3mm deeper than the rear door. Again, I made double sure that the tailgate is operational and latches without issue, which is does.
  3. The driver-side end piece on the dash trim (the black flat piece visible only when the door is open) is crooked, creating a visible gap at the top, probably a half-inch at its widest.
  4. One of the wheel well trim pieces has a slight bulge and is probably missing a clip.
  5. There is a 1" long scratch in the paint on the rear surface of one of the doors (the side facing the pillar).
  6. One of the visors is filthy, like someone grabbed it with really dirty hands.
  7. There are small streaks of dirt marring the headliner above both B-pillars.
Coincidentally, the advisor said that they are planning to convert one of the buildings on that former dealer lot into a service facility, but it does not seem imminent.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, did you pay prior to inspection/pickup day, or did you write a check to them after inspection? Planning on picking mine up in the near future (also in the Bay Area), and wondering if the latter will be possible due to quality concerns. Nevertheless, good to know yours wasn't too bad and only had minor issues.

I did all the lease "paperwork" online ahead of time, including paying the upfront costs. I assumed that, if I rejected delivery and decided not to get a replacement, there would probably be a little bit of hassle and delay in getting the money back and I was willing to live with that. I'm pretty sure I could have brought a check with me to the delivery appointment if I didn't want that to be the case.

Interestingly enough, when I went into the app to accept delivery and unlock the car, there was no "accept delivery" button and it just gave me access to the car right away. However, after I got home, the advisor texted me that I still needed to go online and accept delivery in my Tesla account. Not sure what would have happened if I didn't click on "accept delivery" at that point, but doing so seemed to activate the free Premium Connectivity subscription.