TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bay Area - HEPA filter worth it?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Quesder, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

Hi all,
    I am configuring my model X order, and everything seems to be necessary. I live in Bay Area, I don't know whether the air in general needs the $4500 premium package to get the HEPA filter.

Well, maybe sometimes I will travel to LA, or some places near the cows and pigs and fertilizers. But adding that $4500 will make the after tax price over $110,000 ... a psychological threshold that I cannot sustain.

Any comments are welcome.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) does contain other things beyond the HEPA Filter like:
    • LED Fog Lights
    • 3-position dynamic LED turning lights
    • Additional ambient internal lighting
    • ventilated front seats
    • self-presenting doors
    If any of these other features are attractive, then consider the HEPA filter an extra feature that came with the stuff you really wanted.
    I'll say, the self-presenting doors seem like a gimmick, but they're a very nice feature. I would say they are similar to powered windows when they first came out: not necessary, but a very nice convenience feature.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The HEPA filter seems likely to improve your cabin air quality in any urban area. But if the PUP cost takes the total cost to a level that you are not comfortable with, then don't get it.

There are features in the PUP that I don't care about and features that I would love to have, like the dynamic turning lights and the HEPA filter. In my ideal world I wish each item could be selected individually but I understand why Tesla doesn't do that. Obviously the car is awesome without the PUP.

4. deque

deque Member

HEPA filtration for cabin w/ the activated carbon filters is the biggest reason I added the PUP.

So far it has not disappointed. I absolutely cannot stand driving behind vehicles (typically older beat up cars or old diesels) with awful emissions. It gives me a headache after a few minutes stuck behind one. It happens a lot where I am since there's no emissions checks like in CA.

The fog lights are cool.

The turning lights are growing on me quite a bit. The blinker and/or the steering wheel activate them. They seem to work with the brights on too.

Ambient lighting is okay -- adds a little mood -- it's a nice little bonus.

Self presenting doors -- can't comment too much since my doors don't work reliably yet due to sensor issues (service appointment next week)!

IMO, however, the HEPA filtration is the best feature of the PUP.

5. ab26

ab26 Member

I read in another thread that all model x has the space to put the filter. So even if you don't get the PUP, you may be able to add the filter with professional help. No one has indicated doing this so far yet.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Does the HEPA filter get involved when you don't turn Bio Hazard mode on? I have never had the occasion to need any additional filtering and have never engaged Bio Hazard mode.

7. deque

deque Member

I believe all cabin air goes through the filtration system. I think biohazard mode just creates positive cabin pressure and a higher rate of turnover.

To quote Tesla directly: A medical grade HEPA filter strips outside air of pollen, bacteria, viruses and pollution before circulating it into the cabin. There are three modes: circulate with outside air, re-circulate inside air and a bioweapon defense mode that creates positive pressure inside the cabin to protect occupants.

8. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

The HEPA filter is a total gimmick if you ask me.
    What happens if you want to drive with the window or roof open?

9. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Armagedden. Zombies. Germs. Ewwwwww, fresh air!

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Then you are welcome to do that, and not buy the HEPA filter. It is an option, not a standard feature.

11. Owner

Owner Active Member

My Mercedes that I owned before the Roadster had a much better filter than my Model S. I really liked the ability to drive by cow pastures (on I-5), and be behind diesel trucks, or even in a large enclosed garage that I visit weekly.

I'd love to have a filter, not sure how much I'd pay for it. But to me, that's not a gimmick. A must have no, but I'd like one.