Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area insurance recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shopping for insurance right now. I have a September delivery, just trying to get my homework done.

aaa is my current carrier, and they quoted me 1739 annually which seems to be one of the better deals... Geico came in a little cheaper but I'm not going there.

Ameriprise was overpriced... My local agent doesn't seem to know how to quote it, State Farm is asinine. So who has an agent who can write a decent tesla policy for a normal person.

I am curious why you wouldn't go to Geico, I have had them nearly 20 years and found their service as well as their rates to be everything I could ask for. Because I parked under a tree that decided to cast off a limb, had someone go through a stop sign and hit me, and then had my car stolen at one point they had paid me several thousand dollars more than I had paid them. But because nothing was deemed my fault they never raised my premium. And I have shopped around and found no one cheaper.

I am curious why you wouldn't go to Geico, I have had them nearly 20 years and found their service as well as their rates to be everything I could ask for. Because I parked under a tree that decided to cast off a limb, had someone go through a stop sign and hit me, and then had my car stolen at one point they had paid me several thousand dollars more than I had paid them. But because nothing was deemed my fault they never raised my premium. And I have shopped around and found no one cheaper.
Have you had a claim on the tesla yet?

Here's a suggestion - go to wherever Tesla says to have work done if you're in accident - ask THEM who the best companies are - who pays without jerking them around.

The more insurance companies advertise, the less likely they are to try to pay what you're owed.

There's a reason I dropped State Farm after 35 years - they didn't want to pay full price to get my car fixed.

I'm in the Bay Area as well. Amica ended up being the cheapest for me, about $200 less than your quote. Plus they are really awesome to deal with if you unfortunately have to deal with them. I got into an accident recently (my fault, and yeah, now my rates are higher), and they were super easy to deal with and quick to send out checks and pleasant on the phone.

I work as a commercial property restoration contractor... I get paid by insurance carriers daily. I know that carriers are not created equal...I won't use State Farm, geico, Allstate..

but if I can get an agent to call me back I'm going to get quotes from travelers, chubb, ace, and cig

i was more of looking for people's experiences with carriers, quotes, etc... I don't want the cheapest.

We have QBE. Never heard of them, but they have been excellent, had them for years, never any hassle. Around $800 per year. One car, no tickets (don't know how that happened....)

Just because they are not advertising like the big boys doesn't mean you get even better care. I know you aren't asking for cheap, but it seems fairly well known that insurance companies, especially the ones paying for very expensive advertising, are going to get you to pay for it. That's why it is almost guaranteed that 15 minutes, or 7 1/2 now, can save you 15% or more, simply because the big boys don't want to compete, and as long as you are a "satisfied customer", your rates keep going up.

Nothing wrong with the independents. They know that if they don't satisfy you, you are gone. The big boys just put out another cute ad. At least so it seems.

Ever notice that the human part of the brain that does the moral thinking, the fine judgement, is entirely missing in geckos? Also in camels. Nothing above the eyes.

Progressive was cheap for me when I first got the car. A year later, I switched to esurance because it was almost 50% less than progressive.
We're paying $1,600/year for 100/300/100, full coverage, and 15,000 miles/year of driving w/ Allstate. I looked at esurance when we first got the car but they didn't list Tesla as an option on the website. I'll check w/ them again.