Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area PPF/Ceramic coating recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a hood only PPF from ebay. Arrived slightly damaged, so seller told me to keep it and he would send me a replacement for free. Glad he did.

My first attempt did not go that well. Hey, it was my FIRST TIME ever trying it. (typically with things like this, you practice first. ) Ended up taking it off same day BUT i learned from my mistakes. Second attempt went MUCH better. Almost perfect. BUT..I could quickly tell that this is one of those jobs that require skill/art/technique, etc. Which is why shops charge so much. It's an acquired skill to to curves, corners, etc.

Would I suggest your FIRST time as a DIY? No. HIGH chance of destroying your PPF or ending up with an ugly job.

Another issue is with 'pre-cut' PPF sheets vs hand laid and trimmed. Does the pre-cut sheet fit right? Is there enough excess to wrap the edges? How hard is it to wrap around all of the front cutouts, lights, bumper seams, etc? Are the seams visible or hidden? Do you remove objects like mirrors, repeaters, badges, etc before laying down the PPF? And did you do an impeccable job of correcting the paint first, to get out all of the holograms, scratches & rubs? If not, the PPF just seals these imperfections in. Did you have to cut in around things? Hope your razor blade or Xacto knife does not cut too deep or slip.

Yes, there is a bit of skill needed...lots of training and experience required. And that's why I prefer to let the experts do it.

Depends where you’re located. I think each Bay Area region should have at least some competent installers. I scoured Yelp and messaged the reputable places in the greater East Bay that have done PPF on Tesla’s, and chose Paint Protection Concepts. The owner Dylan was really responsive, and even owns a Model 3. Have an appointment next Monday, will report back on the experience.

My one advice is to book an appointment now. All the PPF spots seem to be busy. A well-known shop in Brentwood I called was booking for mid-May.
One more plug for Dylan. I had purchased a set of PPF off eBay but had one hell of a time even doing the mirrors. Reached out to several places asking for their rate to install the remaining pieces. Dylan was very supportive, gave me a reasonable quote, and was able to fit me in his schedule last week. His work is excellent!

I should hopefully be getting my Y this month. Any recommendations for a place to get PPF and ceramic coating done?
I know I am a bit very late here as I just came across this post.

We would be happy to welcome you here in Mum Sports. I assure you that our team will give you the highest quality work that's possible we are just located at 41431 Albrae St, Fremont, CA 94538. Also, we are offering 10% OFF for all TMC forum members. Here's our Tel: 510-462-3797 Looking forward to gaining you as a customer.