Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area PPF/Ceramic coating recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my previous car to OC Detailing in Fremont for tint, PPF and ceramic. When my MY comes in I will be going back there. Super cool group, knows Tesla's inside out but be brace yourself for the price. But the do a quality job

Just curious, has anyone tried installing PPF on their own? I've seen lots of videos online and it seems doable.
I purchased a set of PPF off eBay that covers most of the car. Did the mirrors yesterday, and it was... rather tedious. 1st mirror took maybe 45min, 2nd one about 30min. Debating if I should just bite the bullet and find an installer or move forward with it. Hoping the hood and door panels are easier since there are less curves.

Stealth Labs is Belmont is 3 out of 5. They talk a big game about attention to detail to the point you almost feel bad owning a Tesla with all the build quality defects. The PPF install is solid and met expectations. The paint correction was below expectations. For all the talk of attention to detail they missed a chip on the hood, and did not correct any of the touch ups that I had done myself. I was expecting a better job than my Dr. ColorChip repairs.

Depends where you’re located. I think each Bay Area region should have at least some competent installers. I scoured Yelp and messaged the reputable places in the greater East Bay that have done PPF on Tesla’s, and chose Paint Protection Concepts. The owner Dylan was really responsive, and even owns a Model 3. Have an appointment next Monday, will report back on the experience.

My one advice is to book an appointment now. All the PPF spots seem to be busy. A well-known shop in Brentwood I called was booking for mid-May.

Joe at OC detailing. I went to him in 2013 with my 1st S. He has done 2 more Teslas for me. He has more experience with Teslas than anyone else in NoCA. And he and his crew are really obsessive-compulsive. Not the cheapest but absolutely no compromise.

I’ve used Dave Thorpe of Thorpe Auto Detail in Campbell for several of my cars. On my Model 3, he did a new car paint correction and Opticoat. He has done many Tesla over the years. Mine was the first Model 3 he looked at, though due to scheduling, the second he actually worked on.

Joe at OC detailing. I went to him in 2013 with my 1st S. He has done 2 more Teslas for me. He has more experience with Teslas than anyone else in NoCA. And he and his crew are really obsessive-compulsive. Not the cheapest but absolutely no compromise.
these guys are reallllly expensive though. 2500 for just full frontal ppf and 2500 for ceramic.

Yup--Joe is not the 'low price spread'. Vote with your wallet. Depends on your level of obsession with your car, how long you plan to keep it, how much abuse you expect the finish to be subject to, etc. YMMV.
Well the shop I got my quotes from (aegis/autopro) in Dublin/Fremont seem pretty reputable with tons of 5 star reviews and pictures of working on high end exotic cars so I assume they are just as good, but with does OCDetailing charge almost triple for the same thing?

these guys are reallllly expensive though. 2500 for just full frontal ppf and 2500 for ceramic.
Yup--Joe is not the 'low price spread'. Vote with your wallet. Depends on your level of obsession with your car, how long you plan to keep it, how much abuse you expect the finish to be subject to, etc. YMMV.
Well the shop I got my quotes from (aegis/autopro) in Dublin/Fremont seem pretty reputable with tons of 5 star reviews and pictures of working on high end exotic cars so I assume they are just as good, but with does OCDetailing charge almost triple for the same thing?

...they charge what they can. It is a free market economy. There are enough consumers who believe that their work is worth it. You makes your choice and takes your chances. it's your nickel.

Just curious, has anyone tried installing PPF on their own? I've seen lots of videos online and it seems doable.
I ordered a hood only PPF from ebay. Arrived slightly damaged, so seller told me to keep it and he would send me a replacement for free. Glad he did.

My first attempt did not go that well. Hey, it was my FIRST TIME ever trying it. (typically with things like this, you practice first. ) Ended up taking it off same day BUT i learned from my mistakes. Second attempt went MUCH better. Almost perfect. BUT..I could quickly tell that this is one of those jobs that require skill/art/technique, etc. Which is why shops charge so much. It's an acquired skill to to curves, corners, etc.

Would I suggest your FIRST time as a DIY? No. HIGH chance of destroying your PPF or ending up with an ugly job.