TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bay Area Resident - Wheel Tire Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by 2Infinity, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 2Infinity

2Infinity New Member

Hi,

I have 21" Staggered Summer Tires on my my P90D that need replacing. I live in the Bay Area and travel to Lake Tahoe (the snow) 3-4 times in the winter. I do like the look of my 21" wheels. I'm wondering if the great hive mind of this forum can help me figure out which is my best wheel/tire option going forward. I think these are my options:

- Replace the 21" Summer tires for Summer driving. Buy 19" wheels & winter tires for tahoe/winter months. Question - would the winter tires wear down too quickly in the Bay Area? My concern is that this set up seems like a lot of trouble for a 4 times a year to Tahoe.

- Buy 19 or 20" after market wheels & all-season tires? How do the all-seasons do in Lake Tahoe snow driving conditions? What's the estimate for how many miles these will last? Recommendations?

- Replace the 21" Summers and rent-a-car when I go to Tahoe...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The 19" all-seasons have served me well with my P85D up in Tahoe during winter trips. Granted though that I've not been caught in raging snow storms thus far.

3. The Duke

The Duke Member

If you like fresh powder, rent a Subaru and carry chains. Putting chains on a Tesla is not an experience you want.
    If you can plan your trip around the weather, tires will not matter all that much, assuming you are experienced driving in snow. You have 4WD and good traction control. I left the performance Michelin's on and was fine on plowed roads. Keep your charge up as battery warming can drop your range.