Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area TMC Forum Meet 2 - April 26, 2009

Can you make it and if so, which day?

• I'd prefer Saturday 25th but can make Sunday 26th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I think we'll go with much the same plan as last time which worked out pretty well.

We'll meet around 11am at the benches near the Rodin Sculpture Garden here. The weather is supposed to be nice. We'll meet and greet as people show up, ogle SteveF and MDR's cars (both Radiant Red), and chat for a bit.

We'll head over to the Menlo Park store by noon. At the store we'll chat some more, check out the cars, and get a bit of a tour. Perhaps some other surprises...

Afterwards, those of us interested can go get lunch near by.

If you want, email me your cell number, just in case there are some last minute changes. I'll reply with my cell and add you to the head count.

Last edited:
Wish I could make it, sounds like fun.

If my car #408 in Prism Green is there, I hope you'll post a photo or two. I'm very curious to see how it turned out. The sample turns different colors depending on the viewing angle. At 90 degrees, it's a green, darker than Racing Green but not as dark as Signature Green. At about 60 or less, it turns Twilight Blue. It changes a bit with the lighting too.

I just felt like having one that's a little different from the others. :biggrin:

prismgreen2.jpg

The shop was full of Roadsters:
3477344721_ef9f176f0e.jpg
With plenty of cars being worked on as this seems to be a 7 day a week production schedule:
3477353141_0f173e0ee2.jpg

The above are from the typical view anyone can see walking into the dealership. They also let us walk through the new car prep area and see drive-train components going into the latest gliders. (Production numbers were above 400 now). While we were there someone was screaming back and forth through the back parking lot in a new black roadster that they were doing some finals tests on. A few new gliders also arrived. Things are really humming along there, even on a Sunday.

First and foremost would be that people put deposits down long ago and they don't want to wait any longer!

I think this is the production level they promised, and as fast as Lotus can deliver gliders. It is likely more cost effective to have a 7 day a week smaller facility than it would be to have a larger facility work 5 days a week.

Thanks also from me - it was great to meet you all today. Thanks to Doug for making the arrangements, TEG, SteveF and MDR for the various lifts and of course Dan for the tour and his hospitality.

Absolutely fantastic to see so many cars in the process of delivery (I counted 41 in the main shop area alone, with probably another 20+ elsewhere on site) and also in the hands of owners (not yet a reality in the UK, but soon...)

I just got back from taking the rental car up La Honda and along Skyline Boulevard. What an amazing road - I can see why it's a favourite route for test drives. :wink:

Some more pictures:

The cars

3479019184_df25536abd_b.jpg

The people (plus some random guy that happened to come over while we were talking)

3478221653_df38e16bb1_b.jpg

The highest number we saw

3478264069_4104103d46_b.jpg

So I just got back after a pretty cool week and what turned into one long forum meet. It's kinda strange seeing all these "EV locations" for real that you know pretty well from photographs. Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome you gave me - and to Dan for sorting me out with a pretty cool rental car for a couple of hours on Friday :wink:

I had a great time meeting you all and touring around SF and the surrounding area on the weekend. It's a fantastic city and setting that just left me wanting more. As I think your governor might have once said, I'll be back...

:biggrin:

I had a great time meeting you all and touring around SF and the surrounding area on the weekend. It's a fantastic city and setting that just left me wanting more. As I think your governor might have once said, I'll be back...

Yes, I had a good time too. And thanks for posting the photos. What areas of interest around SF did you have a chance to take in during your stay?

We only had a quick look really and had to pack a lot in. Saturday my colleague, his wife and I drove into town and had a look at the waterfront, Lombard Street, the Palace of Fine Arts and the Fort Mason/Marina area. We had lunch at Greens and went down to Fort Point. I then walked across that little red bridge to Marin County, whereas the others drove over. We checked out Sausalito (very pretty, but very much a tourist trap), then headed back to the Golden Gate Park for a while. I then jumped on a train to go and have dinner with TEG (a little Japanese in Mountain View - the new favourite hangout of past and present TMC moderators :wink:)

On Sunday I had a later flight than the others, so I checked in my case and took the BART back into town. I rode the cable car up California St, then zig-zagged back through Nob Hill, China Town and the business district, before grabbing a few more pictures of the waterfront area and then heading back to the airport.

A pretty hectic day and a half, but it only left me wanting more!

...drove into town and had a look at the waterfront, Lombard Street, the Palace of Fine Arts and the Fort Mason/Marina area. We had lunch at Greens and went down to Fort Point. I then walked across that little red bridge to Marin County, whereas the others drove over. We checked out Sausalito ..., then headed back to the Golden Gate Park for a while. I then jumped on a train to go and have dinner ...Sunday... took the BART back into town. I rode the cable car up California St, then zig-zagged back through Nob Hill, China Town and the business district, before grabbing a few more pictures of the waterfront area and then heading back to the airport.

A pretty hectic day and a half,...

A day and a half?!!
I lived in Marin for 15 years and never got that much done!