TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bay Area TMC forum meet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by doug, Jul 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. graham

graham Active Member

For the future, I am also happy to meet on Non-Weekend days if that makes more sense when visiting the store... Although I realize this will take more coordination.

2. MDR

MDR Member

I'm still planing to be there Saturday.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I can also make Fri Sept. 12th

Just sayin

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Ok, so the reconfirmed folks for Saturday are as follows:

doug (me)
    TEG
    graham
    graham's wife
    jsnable
    flabby
    MDR

Laurent said might stop by the store later.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Have a good time guys and hopefully some of you can get behind the wheel.

6. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

#66 chimpanzee, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
    I'm still amazed that Technology isn't leveraged by TM, or in this case TMC.

Just setup a Kyte.tv account, upload some cellphone videos

[ preferably high quality, like the native H.264 codec the Samsung Ace does. I got one in late June, possibly to help Martin (San Martin Fair talk) in his media-campaign. I used this cellphone throughout China & SIGGRAPH 2008

Kyte Mobile
    Kyte Mobile ]

You can have people do LIVE commentary on it, even cellphone web surfers!! Kyte.tv even supports LIVE video streaming (Nokia cellphones, like N93 & N95). Qik.com also, you might remember Robert Scoble's Nokia N95 LIVE video-streaming of his Roadster drive w/Elon Musk's.

Make sure someone brings a HD video-camera, & get some footage. Then, throw it up any of the various video-sharing sites. Blip.tv, Mogulus.com, Kyte.tv, Fragmob.com (does pictures & video). I use Blip.tv for my iTunes video-podcast medium:

Tesla Roadster
    Tesla Roadster

Use the CMS/Content Management System (comment section) to let virtual-attendees to participate in your "physical" meeting. Martin won't physically be in attendance, but he can certainly participate virtually over his iPhone. Yes, Kyte.tv plays on my 3G iPhone!! (I don't know how they pulled that off, with all the Flash uncompatibility).

PIC_1298 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've been involved with "physical meetings", it's hard for everyone's schedules to come together. Virtual meetings over the Web (or better yet, cellphone..mobile-media-solutions are the HOTTEST thing in Technology) is the way to go.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

My flash-memory digital camera can record HD videos, but I switched back to 640x480 because it takes soooo long to upload anything decent with my measly uploads speeds.

I plan to stick with flickr & youtube for now.

8. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

#68 chimpanzee, Aug 23, 2008
    I pulled this off with my measly Sony P150 P&S camera (7M pixel, MPEG video capability):

Tesla Roadster
    teslaroadster
    Kyte Mobile

I totally did this by accident, I just happened to come across Tesla Motors LA store one day.

There are some pretty nice compact HD video cameras (single chip), I have a Sony HC3 (circa 2005). There are some versions out now that use Flash memory, like the new Canons..~$1000. Got rave reviews. You can import them directly to your favorite video editor (Sony Vegas HD on the PC platform is getting talked about as being better than the highly thought of Apple Final Cut Pro), so the whole process of capture/edit/export is simplified.

There's an interesting video sharing solution I've been using..timely video uploads. Not streaming video. Just shoot a video from your cellphone (or in your case digital camera), & upload it via cellphone to your favorite video-sharing site. Youtube, Blip.tv, Flickr, etc. I personally use Blip.tv. Make sure you setup your account for "mobile upload" (they will give you a special email, where you send your videos to). They even have a "cross posting" feature, where they will ALSO cross-post your videos to your Blogger (or Wordpress blog).

So, shoot the video on your digital camera. Remove SD flash card from digital camera, & stick it in a Treo 650 (for example). I have the latter, which takes external SD cards. Use Versamail to send a video-email (to above Blip.tv email), & boom..within several minutes (depending on size of video), your TMC video will appear on Blip.tv (& on Blogger/Wordpress blog, if you engage the cross-posting feature). Then, people all over the world (incl Martin, on his iPhone) can post comments. This is the state-of-the-art method, for virtualizing the physical TMC meeting. You should give it a try.

Just for kicks, I should head out to Tesla LA store & do the same. I.e., the whole concept of a TMC meeting, can be virtualized to ANYONE near a TM store. This is obviously, something TM should try to engage in (virtual customer blogging, as a Marketing/PR tool). I have 3 years of experience doing it. Mobile Media Solutions (PDAs, PDA smartphones, cellphone networks, satellite networks, WiFi networks) is the latest/greatest medium out there. This is the domain of iPod & iPhone, a really HOT market (there is a billboard above the Tesla LA Store). A hot product like the Tesla Roadster, certainly deserves a corresponding HOT media solution.

Elon Musk's wife (on her cool blog) tells about how the British group (behind the iPod silhouette advertisements) visited Tesla LA store, & had dinner with them. Do I have to go through her, to get TM to get going on this media solution for PR/Marketing? Holy crap, I just realized something..TM doesn't even have an iTunes video-podcast for their company. WTF?? There is one for the Roadster (mine), whose purpose is illustrate Martin/Marc's role as co-founder of TM.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#69 TEG, Aug 23, 2008
    Well, we did get together and met over at the store.
    2791494488_4f4a1f3624_o.jpg

Jeremy gave a nice mini tour of the store and some Q&A time to answer a lot of little questions we had.

Being a busy weekend, all the VPs were out on test drives. The store had quite a few Founder series cars getting ready for owner pick up. The bulk of them were Signature Green right now.

We did spot Laurent for a moment as he went out on his pre-arranged test drive.

10. jsnable

jsnable Member

Thanks, Doug!

I appreciate the organizational effort. It was fun to get together and also to pick up a few tidbits of new info. And of course look at some more cars...

Jay

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#71 TEG, Aug 23, 2008
    New add on carbon fiber trim being evaluated when we were there.
    2791559620_993671725d_o.jpg
    2791566716_8fb0db6074_o.jpg

12. graham

graham Active Member

It was good to meet everyone today. Thanks for arranging things Doug!
    Thanks for the tour of your Ranger, TEG!

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

ARRGGH!

So share already! :smile:

(thanks for the shots of the new trim TEG)

14. flabby

flabby Member

I repeat what others have said, thank you doug for organizing this. It's nice to be able to put faces to names.

Check for tidbits I learned about Model S in the Future Cars section. (just for you, Malcolm:wink:)

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Don't think I had seen the white seats before.

Not to my liking.

16. graham

graham Active Member

One tidbit (probably only of interest to me and my wife): Seats.

They are hoping to offer multiple different sizes of seats. Something like: choose "small" "medium" or "large" (with differing bolsters and padding) which the customer can try out ahead of time and they will install that upon delivery.

However: They will not be delivering an adjustable seat, or a seat that sits any higher than the current one. Any derivation of the seat height would require more crash testing. This is something they are understandably very reluctant to do.

This effectively means that I will not be able to buy a Roadster than both my wife and I can drive. This is disappointing, and possibly a deal breaker for us.

17. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

#77 DaveD, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
    2791494488_4f4a1f3624_o.jpg

(L to R): MDR, jsnable, flabby, graham, graham's wife, doug, TEG.

18. jsnable

jsnable Member

You got me right... :cool:

Jay

19. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Any word on the $1000 servicing question?

Graham is the spitting image of a guy I used to work with - you're not moonlighting as a satellite engineer are you ? :smile:

20. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thanks guys :biggrin: