TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bay Area to Mammoth Lakes?

Discussion in 'California' started by Khatsalano, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Dear TMC,

I just completed a grand tour of California due to a happenstance of being in SoCal for work, then participating in the Mammoth Lakes Gran Fondo bike race this weekend. I drove from the south up 295 hitting the Eastern Sierra superchargers without issue. This is probably the most beautiful drive in California ... just breathtaking views.

Coming back from Mammoth Lakes to the Bay Area is easy because it's downhill. But going uphill, even in these balmy Fall temperatures from the Bay Area to Mammoth, is marginally doable according to evtriplanner.com. Have any of you tried doing the up-mountain direction? Do we just need an SC at Groveland?

- K

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Can't answer your question based on any experience, but if evtripplanner.com says it is "doable" then it likely is.

But wanted to confirm: are you saying that with a max charge at Mammoth you were able to reach Manteca with a reasonable reserve?

3. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

#3 Khatsalano, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    "Doable" to me is not arriving with a single-percenter margin. :) I've been known to miss a highway exit once in a while in unfamiliar territory, or, encounter unexpected headwinds or temperatures. Also, in the winter, this is outright not "doable" at all even with a zero mile margin.

As far as your question, I left from Mammoth Village with 232 RM or so. I arrived with something like 70 RM at Manteca SC ... was never in doubt coming downhill.

- K

4. ecarfan

True, the Tioga Pass Road is closed in the winter.

Thanks for your response as to your remaining range at Manteca after charging at Mammoth.

5. djn04

djn04 Member

I did this in an 85D with 21s over the 4th. I charged to 99% in Manteca and for about an hour at the Groveland Hotel, but I could have made it on "fumes" to the supercharger in Mammoth.

6. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

In winter it is always longer for the reason ecarfan mentioned, having to go over echo summit on the 50, and then my preference would be 89 - > 88 -> 395. Reasonable charges at Folsom and Topaz Lake should do the trick.

For a summer drive over Tioga, I'm glad to have the 90D with 19 inch wheels, but sounds like a Groveland SC is on the way...

7. Braxus

Braxus Member

I'm thinking of doing this on an S75. Assuming a 100% charge at the Manteca supercharger, looks like it's doable with a 2hr HPWC stopover in Groveland?

From what I read, going back shouldn't be a problem.

8. ecarfan

Construction has started for the new Groveland Supercharger. So your time there charging will be measured in minutes, not hours.

9. Braxus

Braxus Member

Don't think they'll be ready by this weekend. Based on the Groveland SC thread, looks like the concrete base has been poured with the SC posts in place.

10. Braxus

Braxus Member

Stopped at Mammoth Lakes Supercharger and charged to 100%. From Mammoth Lakes > Devil's Postpile > Mountain View, I used 57.4kWh over 285.5 miles at 201Wh/mi. On my S75, I had about 40 miles left of usable charge at the end of the trip. No stops on the way back. Speeds were generally about +5mph of posted signs.

11. ecarfan

Wow, that's impressive that you were able to make that trip on a single charge in a 75! Outstanding energy efficiency number, and you weren't going slow. Thanks for posting.

12. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

It's because of the net -7700 feet elevation change. EVTripplanner predicts 54.7kwh in a dual motor and 55.9kwh in a rwd with a 1.1x speed multiplier so to me your results are pretty much in line with expectations considering it was probably cooler than 72 degrees outside (evtripplanner estimate) and you probably had some prevailing westerly winds I didn't account for as well. .