Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area to Mammoth Lakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear TMC,

I just completed a grand tour of California due to a happenstance of being in SoCal for work, then participating in the Mammoth Lakes Gran Fondo bike race this weekend. I drove from the south up 295 hitting the Eastern Sierra superchargers without issue. This is probably the most beautiful drive in California ... just breathtaking views.

Coming back from Mammoth Lakes to the Bay Area is easy because it's downhill. But going uphill, even in these balmy Fall temperatures from the Bay Area to Mammoth, is marginally doable according to evtriplanner.com. Have any of you tried doing the up-mountain direction? Do we just need an SC at Groveland?

- K

"Doable" to me is not arriving with a single-percenter margin. :) I've been known to miss a highway exit once in a while in unfamiliar territory, or, encounter unexpected headwinds or temperatures. Also, in the winter, this is outright not "doable" at all even with a zero mile margin.

As far as your question, I left from Mammoth Village with 232 RM or so. I arrived with something like 70 RM at Manteca SC ... was never in doubt coming downhill.

- K

Last edited:
"Doable" to me is not arriving with a single-percenter margin. :) I've been known to miss a highway exit once in a while in unfamiliar territory, or, encounter unexpected headwinds or temperatures. Also, in the winter, this is outright not "doable" at all even with a zero mile margin.

As far as your question, I left from Mammoth Village with 232 RM or so. I arrived with something like 70 RM at Manteca SC ... was never in doubt coming downhill.

- K
In winter it is always longer for the reason ecarfan mentioned, having to go over echo summit on the 50, and then my preference would be 89 - > 88 -> 395. Reasonable charges at Folsom and Topaz Lake should do the trick.

For a summer drive over Tioga, I'm glad to have the 90D with 19 inch wheels, but sounds like a Groveland SC is on the way...

Stopped at Mammoth Lakes Supercharger and charged to 100%. From Mammoth Lakes > Devil's Postpile > Mountain View, I used 57.4kWh over 285.5 miles at 201Wh/mi. On my S75, I had about 40 miles left of usable charge at the end of the trip. No stops on the way back. Speeds were generally about +5mph of posted signs.

Wow, that's impressive that you were able to make that trip on a single charge in a 75! Outstanding energy efficiency number, and you weren't going slow. Thanks for posting.

It's because of the net -7700 feet elevation change. EVTripplanner predicts 54.7kwh in a dual motor and 55.9kwh in a rwd with a 1.1x speed multiplier so to me your results are pretty much in line with expectations considering it was probably cooler than 72 degrees outside (evtripplanner estimate) and you probably had some prevailing westerly winds I didn't account for as well. .