Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC Fake News - Tesla ordered to recall more than a million US cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither the media or myself make the rules, if it’s deemed a recall then they’ll call it a recall. Period.
A real recall means vehicles have to be brought to a service center and go through physical, hardware repairs.
Any issue that can be fixed through a software update shouldn't be named a "recall", because it's simply not a recall as the automative industry calls it since decades.

NTHSA needs to adapt to today's world and stop calling required OTA software updates "recalls".

Reactions: pharwood
A real recall means vehicles have to be brought to a service centered and go through physical, hardware repairs.
Any issue that can be fixed through a software update shouldn't be named a "recall", because it's simply not a recall as the automative industry calls it since decades.
Tell that to NHTSA, not me or the BBC. Until they change the terminology it’s a recall. I don’t know why this is so difficult for you to comprehend.

The news article in question is 100% accurate in its reporting.

Reactions: Martinb999
breaking-news-fire.png

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro and M1tch
What is misleading?
Do I really have to explain? If you don't see why all those click-baiting "1 million+ Tesla vehicles recalled" headlines are misleading, then you obviously and deliberately don't want to understand the point here.

“This is a tiny over-the-air software update,” Musk wrote on Thursday, following the mandatory fix imposed by NHTSA. When you can do that, the term “recall” doesn’t really apply to fixing a car’s design flaw, as that normally conveys literally bringing one’s car to a mechanic for work.
Tesla's recall that wasn't: How Musk revolutionized the auto industry

...So not a recall then? Unbelievable!...
I've known some owners on a fixed low retiree income who can't even afford internet or wifi.

Their software level is frozen at user interface 10 until there's a "recall," and suddenly, they got a new user interface 11/software.

That's the difference between no recall and recall.

No recall benefits most owners but leaves low-income owners behind.

An official recall benefits all.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Don’t bother as you’ll just produce some deflections instead of acknowledging the fact NHTSA issued a recall.
Well... we're all acknowledging this. That's not the point and you perfectly know it.

Those headlines are purposedly misleading because a recall "normally conveys literally bringing one’s car to a mechanic for work", which is not the case with OTA updates.
I don’t know why this is so difficult for you to comprehend.
Me neither! :cool:

I'm sorry but... people who can't afford internet at home shouldn't buy a Tesla in the first place.

When deciding to get either the $30,000 hybrid Prius and $35,000 Tesla, they chose the Tesla with $3,750 Federal Tax Credit (it was reduced from $7,500 at that time) and $2,000 California rebate check.

I understand that it is hard to have any sympathy for the poor.

That is the difference between the law and the lawlessness.

The law covers everyone including the rich and poor.

When deciding to get either the $30,000 hybrid Prius and $35,000 Tesla, they chose the Tesla with $3,750 Federal Tax Credit (it was reduced from $7,500 at that time) and $2,000 California rebate check.

I understand that it is hard to have any sympathy for the poor.

That is the difference between the law and the lawlessness.

The law covers everyone including the rich and poor.

All I'm saying is that when you're getting close to retirement, you know your income will decrease a lot, so you should plan your budget ahead in a appropriate way based on your future retiree income. If your monthly budget is so tight you can't even afford an internet connection at home, I believe you should reconsider even buying or leasing a car. And if you live in a rural place and absolutely need a car, there are now plenty of great affordable electric cars on the market a lot cheaper than Teslas.

Don't get me wrong: if my wife and I were to buy our Teslas today instead of last year, we could not afford them. We would probably have a Model 3 along with an ICE VUS, simply because we would have had a choice to make according to our budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.