Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC FUD Fest: Mini-E London to Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, back in 2011 you will remember I drove a red Roadster to Edinburgh (then across to Ireland and back to London). That Roadster was registration LJ60 HUO.

Two weeks ago a Roadster finally appeared on Autotrader at a price I was prepared to pay. They tried to disguise the plate but they weren't fooling me.

LJ60 HUO is now sitting charging outside. Well it would have been rude not to. :biggrin:

FullyCharged.PNG
2014-05-31_07-29-41.jpg
20140530_183059(0).jpg
20140530_183302.jpg

You might call it the world's most comprehensive test drive.

Attachments

• 2014-05-31_07-28-31.jpg
    2014-05-31_07-28-31.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 375
  • Love
Reactions: Mark77a
Thanks.

It is in very good condition and the guys in the service center were able to confirm that to me before I purchased. Amazingly it is has only done 3000 more miles from when I last saw it 3 years ago.

Dan I paid less that £50k for it. Is the £69k one you refer to the silver Sport that is in Sheffield? If so, a little bird tells me that dealer paid £55k for it 6 months ago. If they still have it you might want to make a cheeky offer to take it off their hands and cut their losses.

The Ampera is staying in the family. I will use that as my daily driver as I don't want to put big miles on the Roadster and also the Ampera is now at the worst part of the depreciation curve after 2 years.

By the way, this is my cousin Liz. Liz is a correspondent for BBC News. I just educated Liz on the benefits of the Tesla Roadster, particularly the way electric drive trains accelerate. Liz concedes that it is a lot of fun :D

20140531_095740.jpg

So, back in 2011 you will remember I drove a red Roadster to Edinburgh (then across to Ireland and back to London). That Roadster was registration LJ60 HUO.

Two weeks ago a Roadster finally appeared on Autotrader at a price I was prepared to pay. They tried to disguise the plate but they weren't fooling me.

LJ60 HUO is now sitting charging outside. Well it would have been rude not to. :biggrin:

You might call it the world's most comprehensive test drive.

Nice 1 David,
This car was my backup, (it popped up for sale the w/e before I collected mine) ... lovely owner and history (she's still got another Roadster in France, I understand) - well done !!

AND we are almost neighbours (Poole)... I run up and down the M3 all the time .... and the ecotricity fast chargers are damn useful !

If you haven't got a CAN, get one then along with a J1772 to Type 2 cable: you can charge at 60Amps (or more :) ).. HPC territory !
63A.jpg

as I posted here > Charging Tesla Roadster at 60A on AC rapids | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

The cable is a standard J1772 to Type2 with 3 mods:
1. Reduce length of Type 2 end by 14mm (cut square and accurately) ... so that it fitts ALL the way into Ecotricity FAST charger, Female plug.
2. Check wire diameter, and if necessary Double up cable, (or add extra, 3 x 6mm square cables) to increase CSA to take 60A without any heat/voltage drop ... or... (at your own risk) accept the heat increase/slight voltage drop using 6mm CSA (32A) cables.
3. Change the sensing resistor in the Type2 Plug (to 100 ohm for 63A).

I intend to add a simple catch to augment the friction grip of the Type2 plug & socket - maybe a rubber sheath.
must kick each others tyres sometime :smile:

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Yes the previous owner has been really nice to deal with on the phone. I've not met her in person. They did move to France and take a LHD with them - I'm pretty sure I know that car as well, from seeing it in the workshop back when I visited Knightsbridge in 2010.

I'm really glad you mentioned the Ecotricity fast charging. I have been talking about getting a Type 2 CAN made by Mr H Sharp but wasn't sure if the charger would spot the high load on one phase and object to it. Your method is the other approach but as I knew that I'd have to change a resistor I haven't done it yet. Would you be in if we got some Type 2 CANs?

Please do call in to Winchester when you are passing. You can always top up on my 32A as well.

David

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I'm really glad you mentioned the Ecotricity fast charging. I have been talking about getting a Type 2 CAN made by Mr H Sharp but wasn't sure if the charger would spot the high load on one phase and object to it. Your method is the other approach but as I knew that I'd have to change a resistor I haven't done it yet. Would you be in if we got some Type 2 CANs?

Please do call in to Winchester when you are passing. You can always top up on my 32A as well.

David

I guess I am sorted with 'the CAN' for now, with the cable it also does ZCW, Chargemaster and all the other type 2 installs
.. the only mod I considered is to make a 'Back to back' J1772 to Type2 adaptor to go straight onto henry's CAN, so the Ecotricity plug goes straight into the can.
BUT I think I prefer my cable to cable connection, as I dont want all the weight of the massive Ecotricity cable mechanically canterlevering off my chargeport I worry the car would fall over ! :)

Thanks for offer of 32A .. Likewise, in Poole via otherwise little used UMC + commando.
Ditto any other Roadsters passing thro Dorset .
Mark

That seems a pretty good price, and it does look in great condition. I have found a LHD for £44K, there does appear to be a couple more coming to the market, one used supplier has about 4-5 in stock now, but at quite a premium.

I think I would settle for the basic 60kwh Model S for £50K as I can claim the costs against the business, although I am still to work out if that really saves much, maybe 20% or so.

With Elons new 2014 Roadster upgrade/surprise coming up the Roadster looks a good buy, wish it was just a little cheaper :)

Thanks.

It is in very good condition and the guys in the service center were able to confirm that to me before I purchased. Amazingly it is has only done 3000 more miles from when I last saw it 3 years ago.

Dan I paid less that £50k for it. Is the £69k one you refer to the silver Sport that is in Sheffield? If so, a little bird tells me that dealer paid £55k for it 6 months ago. If they still have it you might want to make a cheeky offer to take it off their hands and cut their losses.