Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC News - Scottish government pledge to end car emissions by 2050

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24063461

"The Scottish government has said it wants the country's towns and cities to be free of emissions from petrol and diesel vehicles by 2050. It has published a "roadmap" setting out its plans to help businesses and motorists switch to electric vehicles.

The government is to spend more than £14m over the next two years replacing its fleet of petrol and diesel vehicles with electric alternatives."

I doubt it. There was an article in one of the daily papers last week saying that the EV grant (up to a max of £5k off the price of the vehicle) would not be extended beyond 2015 (its current deadline) as was it was not encouraging enough people to buy EV's. None of the other papers mentioned it so who knows.

Probably not. The Scottish government is led by the Scottish National Party, which besides wanting independence is a left-wing party. The UK government is a Con-Lib coalition and while it does have an environmental agenda it wouldn't be that radical.

I am not familiar with the Scottish National Party but there is nothing radical about a national fleet of zero emission cars by 2050 nor a nation wanting independence.

This has been outlined in Amory Lovins book:
51AeI0a-KbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
which came out in 2011. It's not rocket science, it's all political. Getting businesses to push us forward like Tesla will be the way it happens.

Reinventing Fire

GDP per Capita

Norway about $100k
USA about $50k
Scotland about $44k

Given the regulations don't kick in till 2050 I think Scotland is no greater Tesla opportunity than anywhere else in Europe.

Monaco about $160k
Liechtenstein about $140k
Luxembourg about $107k
Switzerland about $80k

Australia at about $70k is also a good place to go outside of Europe and North America.

Those should be prime spots for Model S.