Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and (new) Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: Tesla Owners of BC and Vancouver Island are in communication with Tesla about this issue and expect owners will receive a communication from them likely later this week.

Thank-you for your continued patience.

This is fantastic news Paul. I really hope there is good news out of this. Is the Vehicle Sales Authority of BC also tied in with these communications? Does it involve them? Is their at least some sort of ground work as to where this all stemmed from(Who's side)

This is fantastic news Paul. I really hope there is good news out of this. Is the Vehicle Sales Authority of BC also tied in with these communications? Does it involve them? Is their at least some sort of ground work as to where this all stemmed from(Who's side)
Can't disclose anything at this point. I'm hopeful that Tesla will be able to make it right & we should know later this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: lestager
Can't disclose anything at this point. I'm hopeful that Tesla will be able to make it right & we should know later this week.
I'm still hoping they will offer me a ChaDeMo adaptor in lieu of Super Charger kilometers. ;)

I regularly drive from Cowichan Valley to Comox Valley, Powell River, Campbell River and sometimes further north. Until we get Super Chargers in Courtenay and Campbell River I have to struggle with charging in Nanaimo, then trying to figure out how to get back.

I'm still hoping they will offer me a ChaDeMo adaptor in lieu of Super Charger kilometers. ;)

I regularly drive from Cowichan Valley to Comox Valley, Powell River, Campbell River and sometimes further north. Until we get Super Chargers in Courtenay and Campbell River I have to struggle with charging in Nanaimo, then trying to figure out how to get back.

Still boggles my mind that the superchargers are in Vic and Nanaimo which is really close together. Need one on the other end of the Island as well.

Bc hydro DC fast chargers are now in many locations on the island including Duncan, Nanaimo, Qualicum Beach, Port Alberni, Taylor River Rest Area on the way to Tofino, Pacific Rim Visitor Centre, Courtenay, Campbell River and most are free.

Bring a CHAdeMO adaptor.

I was told just the purchaser.

It is so transparent and half assed from Tesla. How hard would it be to fix. So since they can't award the referrer in BC give the purchaser the extra KM and allow KM to be shared. Sure the youtuber and social media spammers would probably lose some KM. The people that actually made real referrals to friends and family would get to take advantage. Actually the youtubers would love it, they could give out km in contest and weekly events. What does Tesla Bjorn have over a million KM , an X, an S and a couple of Roadsters from his referrals? Tesla won't do it because they don't want to pay out the award and they are hoping they expire before most people use them.

I too lost all my supercharging km around July 4. Glad to hear at least some purchaser km may be reinstated. Like others, I have a big road trip planned for this week and am likely facing several hundred $ in supercharging fees as it stands.

I’m super disappointed in how Tesla handled this. I now understand there is some BC law and I’m going to email my MLA about that, but Tesla still screwed up on multiple occasions here:

-They marketed the referral program on the screen in the Vancouver sales room
-The sales associate promised me the referral bonus when I signed the deal
-They marketed the referral program to me in my Tesla App (they have my BC address in my account)
-The terms and conditions presented to me did not exclude BC (but did exclude 2 states)
-They accepted my 2 referrals for Model Xs
-They awarded me km as purchaser and referrer
-They took the km away without notice

I was really excited about the referral program and it played a big part in me advocating for friends to buy Teslas, and buying my own. Now I feel totally burned by Tesla. If they’d told me up front that BC residents can’t participate then I’d only be disappointed with the BC government.

Attachments

• 39854AA7-52C4-446D-AE33-A4B3825198EA.jpeg
    39854AA7-52C4-446D-AE33-A4B3825198EA.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 47
I agree that Tesla messed up on this. Unlike some others, I don’t see some big conspiracy against British Columbians.

I see:

A large, yet still relatively novice, corporation that does marketing and sales differently from the industry standard.

An international program that was applied consistently.

A tiny marketplace (BC) in which the law prohibited part of the program.

Someone in the industry-controlled regulator (MVABC) telling Tesla its program was illegal.

Someone in Tesla making the first adjustment (cancelling the referrer aspect).

Someone in Tesla being concerned that was insufficient and cancelling the purchaser aspect.

Backlash.

A review at Tesla and correction.

Poor communication all around.

Also, unlike some others, I do not expect an international corporation to change a large, successful marketing campaign to comply with an unusual law in a tiny marketplace.

BC is like the tail on a dog, the dog being the international marketplace. The tail does not wag the dog.

If we don’t like the law in BC (that effectively protects existing dealerships that enforce the law) we should lobby politicians to change the law so that it is consistent with interprovincial and international standards.