Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and (new) Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More info, I spoke to the VSA, the rule is real and in force, the only step we can take now is to talk to your MLA, I have the ear of Prince George, BC MLA Mike Morris, lets see how this progresses.

Notice the irony that in BC you can receive a referral as an unlicensed person for real estate, but not a car? (only in BC!)

Trading Services

Paying and Receiving Referral Fees
Some licensees pay or receive referral fees. Typically, referral fees are paid by a licensee for receiving a ‘‘lead’’ which results in the licensee earning remuneration. A licensee might receive a referral fee for referring a client to another licensee or service provider if that client uses the services of that other person. The following are issues that licensees should be aware of related to the payment or receipt of referral fees.

Paying a referral fee to an unlicensed person 3-3 (1)(f).

A licensee may pay an unlicensed person a referral fee as long as

• the unlicensed person does not solicit, for the purposes of making a referral, the names of persons who may want to acquire or dispose of real estate;

• the practice of making referrals is not the main business of the unlicensed person making the referral; and
  • the unlicensed person making the referral does nothing else that would require them to be licensed (refer to the definition of ‘‘real estate services’’ in section 1 of RESA).
Those who intend to pay a referral fee to an unlicensed person have an obligation to first ensure that person satisfies the above criteria. Section 6-1 of the Rules prohibits the payment of any remuneration to an unlicensed person in relation to real estate services if that person is required to be licensed. For this reason, it is important that a brokerage has clear policies, and advises its licensees accordingly, with respect to the payment of referral fees. It may also be useful to obtain independent accounting advice with respect to any tax implications that may be associated with the payment of referral fees to unlicensed persons.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and m3snowy
There is talk of a fall provincial election in BC. This sounds like a prime time for lobbying candidates.

If I understand the history of the issue, the law was brought in by the BC Liberals who received significant support from the motor vehicle industry in BC and has never been important enough of an issue for the NDP to reverse the decision. It might be easier to convince NDP or Green Party candidates to support the reversal of a BC Liberal decision than to get BC Liberal candidates to agree that the party should reverse it’s previous decision.

You could submit a support ticket and hope for the best. I *might* had some success with that method.
I created a support ticket and received this response:
"Due to local laws/regulations, those in British Columbia cannot at this time acquire referrer awards through Tesla's Referral Program. Though referrers will not be eligible for awards, buyers in British Columbia may still acquire awards. Please see the "Limits" section of our Referral Program web page for more information.:

Would you please elaborate how one *might* also be able to have success? Thanks!

I created a support ticket and received this response:
"Due to local laws/regulations, those in British Columbia cannot at this time acquire referrer awards through Tesla's Referral Program. Though referrers will not be eligible for awards, buyers in British Columbia may still acquire awards. Please see the "Limits" section of our Referral Program web page for more information.:

Would you please elaborate how one *might* also be able to have success? Thanks!

@randomcomment do you mean because they said buyers "may still acquire awards"? If so, then may doesn't mean possibly in this context, it means are permitted to.

@randomcomment do you mean because they said buyers "may still acquire awards"? If so, then may doesn't mean possibly in this context, it means are permitted to.
@srlawren no, I was just genuinely curious how to submit a ticket? From my end, it doesn't seem to work. I am wondering if @fidodido submitted the ticket or if an advisor helped? I have read elsewhere that the latter has been successful.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung