TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BC Auto Dealers

Discussion in 'Canada' started by KenN, Apr 22, 2014.

1. KenN

KenN Member

Yet another example of why auto dealers are no longer needed, and the Tesla sales model is the way to go:

B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblower - British Columbia - CBC News

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I don't know if they're still doing it, but I had to fill out a detailed form that included my driver's license information and sign it before Tesla would let me get behind the wheel for a test drive. Did this both in Toronto and Newport beach when taking test drives.

3. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Name, address, DL#? Personally I think that's reasonable to ensure finding the driver in case of accident etc, and as the report said to ensure its a valid license. Not sure what more they could get from a photocopy of the real thing. My eye colour I guess. I'm not as threatened by dealers, or companies, having a 'database' of my common public information (+ DL in this case) as the news report seems to imply. Especially since I won't be using any more dealers for test drives ever again! :tongue:

I really respect BC's Privacy Commissioner and I'm glad she continues to be a thorn in the side. And I think this was a good issue to bring up to try to get people to think about what the DL photocopy or scan use case is.

4. KenN

KenN Member

For my (Vancouver) test drives, they just verified my DL and asked if I wanted to give email address for "future correspondence".

From my POV, the article is about;

a) taking a copy of the DL and mis-representing their reasons for doing so, and

b) submitting the info to a national marketing database and retaining indefinitely, whilst claiming "info will be destroyed in 30 days".

That's both illegal and fraudulent.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I can't speak for other provinces guys, but in Ontario, is someone has your driver's license number, they have your birthdate...the last 6 digits of your DLN are the yr / month / day of your birth...