Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. They list specific charger model that qualify and it needs to be purchased in BC.

The fine print on the list says..."This list is not exhaustive and is only meant to offer some assistance in researching different brands and suppliers".

The hardware itself probably qualifies (see below), but, as you say, it has to be "purchased in BC" from a retailer, not on eBay:

Charging stations that are eligible for the rebate must be:
  • Purchased in B.C. and not leased
  • Approved for sale and use in Canada and have cUL, cETL, and CSA certifications
  • A Level 2 charger, 208 volt or 240 volt, with a standard "J plug" (J1772)
  • A permanent installation; wall mounted is permitted if there is a 240-volt outlet available
Not sure what "purchased in BC" means, but I'm sure buying from Tesla Canada would qualify if they sold one?

upload_2019-9-30_11-20-55.png

Agreed. The link to the more comprehensive info says "Canadian dealer/website/retailer". I'm betting if it was shipped from Canada via a retailer, and PST was charged on the invoice, they wouldn't cause you grief. For example, I notice Costco Canada has 2 that are on the list, and I'm sure those would be fine (although I appreciate Costco has a physical presence "in BC"). But definitely no US retailer or ebay.

I have had my 240 volt Tesla wall charger sitting uninstalled in a box for a week now hoping that somehow the cost of equipment and installation would be included in the new $700 rebate program in BC. It looks like the Tesla charger is not on the approved list of chargers and will not be eligible for the $700 rebate. For those owners of a Tesla is the convenience of having a charger Tesla and ease of use with no adaptors required worth paying $700 more for instead of having one of the non Tesla chargers installed at our house that is eligible for the rebate?

For those owners of a Tesla is the convenience of having a charger Tesla and ease of use with no adaptors required worth paying $700 more for instead of having one of the non Tesla chargers installed at our house that is eligible for the rebate?

I just went through the same decision and, having an SR+, decided to have a NEMA plug installed and just stick with the included UMC adapter (capped at 32 amps vs. 48 amps for the Tesla wall charger).

If I had a second Tesla (or one that could suck more juice--or even plans for a second Tesla), I would have picked up the wall charger.

As it stands, I don't see any advantage (particularly in my case, where I'm limited to a 32amp fuse) in getting a rebate-eligible EV charging station over the included UMC (which I don't take with me on road trips).

With my 14-30 receptacle, I figure if I get an additional non-Tesla EV down the road or I want to be able to let guests use the juice, I can install a dryer buddy and a second cheap (or not) J plug charger.

Bottom line, at least for my use case, is that I like the flexibility that having a bare receptacle provides so that I'm not pot committed with Tesla.

Last edited:
I have had my 240 volt Tesla wall charger sitting uninstalled in a box for a week now hoping that somehow the cost of equipment and installation would be included in the new $700 rebate program in BC. It looks like the Tesla charger is not on the approved list of chargers and will not be eligible for the $700 rebate. For those owners of a Tesla is the convenience of having a charger Tesla and ease of use with no adaptors required worth paying $700 more for instead of having one of the non Tesla chargers installed at our house that is eligible for the rebate?

The non Tesla chargers are lacking some functions like the ability to daisy chain and share the same input source (AFAIK). They're also more expensive due to a higher margin required for distribution model of sales.

You might save a couple hundred bucks after buying a second J1772 adaptor for your non-Tesla home unit if you want the rebate. Just don't mention you have a Tesla when they quote you :)

The non Tesla chargers are lacking some functions like the ability to daisy chain and share the same input source (AFAIK).

If I had a non-Tesla, I would pull the trigger on this one (with the rebate).

I'm still kind of toying with it as it stands, but I'll probably just install the outlet in the same spot where I would hard wire in a charger, in case I ever decide to do that in the future or daisy chain a second one.

In fact, on that note, and to your point above, I realize I don't need a dryer buddy, just two of the above products (which allow daisy chaining). Not a bad price for ~$800 before the $700 rebate (with BC Hydro).

4. Built-in WiFi unlocks a host of advanced EVSE management features:

- Get access to your real-time and historical charging data on our website or through our beautiful SmartPhone App

- Control your JuiceBox from anywhere in the world, dynamically changing charging current and time-of-use schedule

- Use voice commands to get status and control your station via our Amazon Alexa voice integration

- Set up various automatic notifications, including: time-of-use in effect, start of charge, end of charge, unit offline, unit back online, car not plugged in by certain time in the evening, etc.

- If you have more than one EV, you can set up your two (or more) JuiceBox Pro units to share one electrical line! Say, you have only 40A capacity in your panel but have two Teslas (lucky you!). You can program your JuiceBox Pro units to never exceed 40A combined draw. If only one car is charging, it gets full 40A of current. When the second car shows up, the current gets shared 20A / 20A between the two. When one of the cars finishes charging, the remaining car ramps back to 40A.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I bought my Tesla charger September 23,2019 which is 3 days before the program was announced September 26,2019. To be eligible purchases must be made after September 26.....I am doubtful that they will include the Tesla charger in the chargers eligible for the $700 rebate but in the meantime I am thinking of returning my Tesla charger and then re-buying it today because this will be after September 26,2019.

Another thought though is when I tracked the shipping of the Tesla charger I ordered on September 23,2019 it came from California so I am doubtful if that will satisfy the "purchased in BC" eligibility criteria??? Has anyone been able to buy a Tesla charger directly from Tesla showroom on West 4th? I called the parts department 2 weeks ago before I ordered online but no one ever answered the phone or returned my voicemail message.....

I just can't imagine Horgan wanting to see his smiling face in the paper saying, "we are using your hard-earned tax dollars to help make it a little more affordable for Tesla owners to install hardware that only Tesla owners can use".

They may say they are reviewing the eligibility of the Tesla charger, but I know where I'd put my money when it comes to betting whether that review will lead to a change in the existing requirements.

For what it's worth, the West 4th location had a 14-30 adapter in stock, but no clue what else as they went in the back while I stood at the door.

For those in the Vancouver area where or from who do you buy your EV charger to satisfy the purchased in BC requirement? For those with a Tesla, which of the non Tesla alternatives eligible for the $700 rebate would you consider?....Thanks for your input!

For those in the Vancouver area where or from who do you buy your EV charger to satisfy the purchased in BC requirement? For those with a Tesla, which of the non Tesla alternatives eligible for the $700 rebate would you consider?....Thanks for your input!
I’ve been looking at some, and to be honest I don’t really like anything other than the Tesla wall connector, however if I had to choose one the chargepoint is probably one I would consider. As far as eligible sellers go I’m not entirely sure.

For me it was, but that’s mostly because of weather aggravation. My UMC started bleeding water and freezing in the winter, so I upgraded.

I just can't imagine Horgan wanting to see his smiling face in the paper saying, "we are using your hard-earned tax dollars to help make it a little more affordable for Tesla owners to install hardware that only Tesla owners can use".

They may say they are reviewing the eligibility of the Tesla charger, but I know where I'd put my money when it comes to betting whether that review will lead to a change in the existing requirements.

For what it's worth, the West 4th location had a 14-30 adapter in stock, but no clue what else as they went in the back while I stood at the door.

Ford did that in ON and they got sued and U-Turned to include Tesla. If there's a valid case for Tesla to get their EVSE's onto the list, it would have been. The "sold in BC" clause maybe the limiting factor here.

Ford did that in ON and they got sued and U-Turned to include Tesla. If there's a valid case for Tesla to get their EVSE's onto the list, it would have been. The "sold in BC" clause maybe the limiting factor here.

Touché! There's probably no good reason to exclude Tesla chargers (apart from the "optics" of it), and the government press release didn't refer to the J Plug requirement: New rebates for EV charging stations make it easier to go electric.

Maybe I'm too cynical, and I might be (un)pleasantly surprised (if I go down the outlet-only route b4 they change their minds--because I'd buy a Tesla wall mount in a heartbeat if it was covered by the provincial and BC Hydro rebates), but I bet Horgan would rather be taken to court (not his nickel) if it comes to that so that he can say (politically) that his hand was forced.

Edited to add: The "sold in BC" thing is a bit of a black box. I think they are saying it has to be a retailer authorized to distribute the particular product in BC. Surely, if it is a "local supplier" on this list (Charging Station Equipment - Plug In BC), that would count? Otherwise, where would people buy these things? [There is one charger available at London Drugs, I noticed]. I'd bet (but not big) that Amazon, Costco, etc. would also qualify, but who knows if those places are selling grey-market products?

Edited #2 to add: That list I linked to above is probably a good starting point for folks re: "purchased in BC". For example, I noticed when I clicked to Flo, the following info (not recommending that charger--one way or the other--just sayin' what "purchased in BC" has to mean at a minimum):

Incentives | FLO

Single-family home charging
  • CleanBC – GoElectric EV Charger Rebate Program provides a rebate of 50% off, up to $350 per charger for Level 2 charging stations in a single-family home, and for a limited-time, an additional $350 rebate from BC Hydro for BC Hydro customers.

Last edited:
Home Depot sells this Levetron unit for pickup at your local store (Levitron E30) which is on the list though the Home Depot model is B1C while the one on the eligible list is the B2C model. Even if it is eligible it is $859 before tax compared to Tesla's $635 so even if it was eligible $250 of the $700 rebate is eaten up alone by the price difference in chargers.

Unless there is a good product easy to buy in Vancouver comparable to the Tesla charger at a reasonable price it may be just easier to buy the Tesla charger which has been specially made to work fastest with the model 3....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-evr-green-e30-electric-vehicle-charging-station/1001068455