Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe me, the 24 is a LOT better option. I thought it would be too long for my location, but it’s already proven that the 24 is more versatile, and the shorter one would’ve left me in a pickle a couple of times.

Agreed, the 24' lets you charge the car in a two lane/garage drive way in up to four positions/orientations. The 8' model restricts it to two. To each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Seems like on the BC Hydro page they have updated the eligible charger criteria as the previously stated "Purchased in BC" is no longer there.

That would mean that there shouldn't be a problem for buying from the Tesla online store.. I would think

The J-Plug criteria is still there but then the Tesla Wall Connector is already on the list.

Charging stations that are eligible for the rebate must be:
  • Ordered, purchased and installed on or after September 26, 2019
  • Purchased and not leased
  • Approved for sale and use in Canada and have cUL, cETL, and CSA certifications
  • A Level 2 charger, 208 volt or 240 volt, with a standard "J plug" (J1772)
  • A permanent installation; wall mounted is permitted if there is a 240-volt outlet available

Seems like on the BC Hydro page they have updated the eligible charger criteria as the previously stated "Purchased in BC" is no longer there.

That would mean that there shouldn't be a problem for buying from the Tesla online store.. I would think

The J-Plug criteria is still there but then the Tesla Wall Connector is already on the list.

• Approved for sale and use in Canada and have cUL, cETL, and CSA certifications
  • A permanent installation; wall mounted is permitted if there is a 240-volt outlet available

Pretty vague of that "Purchased in BC" term. They can't even answer that question on Facebook when ppl asking. Not to really do it, but we can actually buy it from US if any of the popular charger on sale! LOL

English is my second language and i'm very tired. Can anyone explain to me about the rebate in layman terms?

I see 50%, for up to $350 rebate available. Is that only for the Charger itself? or does it apply to the installation? or combined?
Where does the other $350 (of the 700) come from? is $350 for install and $350 for the charger itself?

For example, the Tesla Wall Connector is only $635, Do I get only half of it off for the 50%? and only get 317.5? how do I claim the rest of the $700?

Does the rebate apply to before or after tax amount?

Thanks in advance.

Another question that I had is:

For future proofing myself, is it better to buy a J1772 charger so that it's universal to non-tesla vehicle?

I don't sepcifically need a lv 2 charger as Level 1 charging is already sufficient for our vehicle usage BUT we were thinking installing a charger could also increase the value of the house itself anyway so might as well take advantage of it.

Or, is there an adapater that'll make charging cars equipped with J1772 connection (or maybe even Chademo) with the tesla wall charger possible and if so where can i buy this?

I have heard back from Plug in BC and I have to return the Tesla charger I purchased September 18 (8 days before the program was announced) and re-order another charger to qualify for the $700 rebate.

I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of returning the Tesla charger, paying shipping fees on the return, re-ordering, and possibly paying for a permit to get the $700 rebate. I have talked to a friend who is a qualified electrician who would do the install and wiring for $700 with no permit (32 feet from my electrical box to mounting spot for charger).

I am curious to see what other people have been quoted for installation and how much a possible permit would cost. Does anyone have any actual quotes from an electrician that will fill out all the forms required for the rebate?

I have heard back from Plug in BC and I have to return the Tesla charger I purchased September 18 (8 days before the program was announced) and re-order another charger to qualify for the $700 rebate.

I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of returning the Tesla charger, paying shipping fees on the return, re-ordering, and possibly paying for a permit to get the $700 rebate. I have talked to a friend who is a qualified electrician who would do the install and wiring for $700 with no permit (32 feet from my electrical box to mounting spot for charger).

I am curious to see what other people have been quoted for installation and how much a possible permit would cost. Does anyone have any actual quotes from an electrician that will fill out all the forms required for the rebate?

I was quoted $900 to install the charger right beside my panel in my garage. So I think $700 plus permit (around $200?) is a pretty good price considering you need to run 32ft cable (I heard they were expensive). For the return-it-or-not question, there are only 3 options here:
1. Return, rebuy, and get the rebate: assuming $100 shipping, $200 permit. Your out-of-pocket cost (roughly) is: $700 charger + $100 shipping + $700 install + $200 permit - $700 permit = $1000
2. No return but get the rebate (if they allow rebate for installation portion): $700 charger + $700 install + $200 permit - $350 = $ 1250
3. No rebate: $700 + $700 = $1400

For future proofing myself, is it better to buy a J1772 charger so that it's universal to non-tesla vehicle?

I don't sepcifically need a lv 2 charger as Level 1 charging is already sufficient for our vehicle usage BUT we were thinking installing a charger could also increase the value of the house itself anyway so might as well take advantage of it.

Or, is there an adapater that'll make charging cars equipped with J1772 connection (or maybe even Chademo) with the tesla wall charger possible and if so where can i buy this?

Only if those are cheaper than the Tesla one, IMO

Some adapters to charge a car with a J1772 connection form a Tesla wall charger (note I'll leave checking if they are available in Canada to you):

JDapter Stub

Tesla to J1772 Adapter – EVSE Adapters

TeslaTap

Tesla wall charger is a bargain if you're looking for a charger that does more than 40A. If you only need 32A or 40A you can find a J1772 charger in a similar price range.

Thanks for the analysis TomLee!

The variables I am not sure are about are do I actually need a permit to install the 240 volt charger or is this not required because of my current electrical capacity in my house?

Also the $700 quote from my qualified electrician friend was just me paying him cash for doing the work on a weekend so if I were to do it through his own company and get an invoice I assume it would be at least $250 more after taxes. By the way, my neighbor who is a general contractor and not an electrician installed his own 240 volt receptacle and wiring for his Tesla charger said it was quite easy to do but I am not comfortable doing that work myself....

I don't know I am kind of leaning now towards just paying my electrician friend the $700 to do it on the weekend. I wonder if some of the electrician's will now just inflate their installation costs now that they know there is a $700 rebate from the government to the customer.

English is my second language and i'm very tired. Can anyone explain to me about the rebate in layman terms?

I see 50%, for up to $350 rebate available. Is that only for the Charger itself? or does it apply to the installation? or combined?
Where does the other $350 (of the 700) come from? is $350 for install and $350 for the charger itself?

For example, the Tesla Wall Connector is only $635, Do I get only half of it off for the 50%? and only get 317.5? how do I claim the rest of the $700?

Does the rebate apply to before or after tax amount?

Thanks in advance.

Ok so I did my own digging and found out the answer myself in case anyone was wondering the same thing

You are getting 50%, up to $350 rebate (assuming single family home) for Charger + Installation/Permit cost, FROM THE GOVERNMENT

AND BCHydro is matching this so you get an additional 50%, up to $350 from BCHydro.

What I'm NOT able to find is HOW do we submit the rebate application for the goverment portion of it. You submit the BC Hydro portion of it via BC Hydro website

Interesting. I'd have considered getting the JuiceBox in the USA, as it's cheaper and would give me more flexibility down the road. But my Tesla charger shipped today (not that it offers any benefits over the UMC for me--since I'm limited to 32 amps at the panel), and I figure ifI need a J plug down the road, I can always swap then.

PS: BC Hydro says on the Twitterverse that no problem buying the Tesla charger online.

upload_2019-10-10_18-9-5.png

Pretty quick delivery for the Tesla charger (I stuck with the 25 foot cord based on the advice in this forum, as I notice the shorter one is back in stock).

Ordered: Oct 9th
Shipped: Oct 10th
Estimated Delivery (to Vancouver): Oct 15th

Just FYI.
Ordered mine last year this time, still not installed, I asked about changing my panel for 200 amp service and the quotes were between $1200 if I ask for 240v dryer plug, via licensed electrician without saying a vehicle is involved.

-4,000 if I adm8t it's for a 150k vehicle.

Even without the panel upgrade they want 2k

Also bc hydro wants $1300 to up house service to 200 A, and ck some Elec will be out most of the day.

That's from the ones listed for Tesla on bc lowered mainland on thier site!

Why are people saying it costs $200 to install?

That's why it's still in box, what would $700 do if tesla was covered ?

Hydro should beer making this cheaper not more expensive. Re 1300 "service upgrade "