Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how accurate it is, but from the CEV of BC website, as of yesterday it shows 5.5 Million and today it shows 5 Million.

View attachment 403842 View attachment 403843

Actually i just double check the website, it shows $4.93 Million now

CEV - MAY 3.5.PNG

Tesla launches cheaper Model 3 with 150km range in Canada to get $5,000 incentive

Total MSRP can not exceed $55k with options added. The $55k max is exclusive of delivery, levies, taxes. That why the RWD LR does not qualify at $60,500 (I would have picked that over the SR+).

The MSRP of the model can not exceed $55,000. Options can bring the total to above $55,000. Options do not change the msrp. Read the government text directly. If you read the electrek text you can see they incorrectly interpreted the government text.

The MSRP of the model can not exceed $55,000. Options can bring the total to above $55,000. Options do not change the msrp. Read the government text directly. If you read the electrek text you can see they incorrectly interpreted the government text.
Yes it appears you’re correct. “
To be eligible for the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles program, you have to purchase or lease:

• a vehicle with six seats or fewer, where the base model (trim) Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
Or

• a vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000;
    • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
You will still be eligible for the incentive even if delivery, freight and other fees, such as vehicle colour and add-on accessories, push the actual purchase price over these set limits.”

Down to $3.6 million. The 2019 BC budget will reload $42 million but at the rate things are going, that may not last all that long. If Tesla is not reserving funds until orders get a VIN, the funds may not yet be reflecting increased orders as a result of the Federal rebate applying to SR/SR+.

Since the first of May the CEV for BC program has been reduced by about 2.5m since I have been watching, that's 500 cars. I can't believe that many non Teslas have sold in that time so my belief is that we are seeing a rapid increase in demand as a result of the SR and SR+ vehicles being included in the Federal program. Would be interested to know if any May 1 reservation holders have a VIN assigned yet, I reserved 1AM May 2 had to cancel and reserve again 8 hours later to use a referral code, there are 170 numbers between the 2 reservations..

I was just about to post something similar to scramies: when I was doing my ev research recently, I talked to Hyundai, Nissan and Kia dealers and they had very little stock. Almost no electric cars were available new in the province in late April. When May 1st came, they got a bit of stock, but it felt like each Kia dealer in the province maybe got 4 or 5 new Souls. There were waiting lists on pretty much everything else. This much motion in the fund is very likely connected to Tesla orders. I reserved May 3rd and did the same thing - cancelled and reordered, and there were 700 orders in 5 or 6 hours. Though I presume these are not just Canadian order numbers.

I was just about to post something similar to scramies: when I was doing my ev research recently, I talked to Hyundai, Nissan and Kia dealers and they had very little stock. Almost no electric cars were available new in the province in late April. When May 1st came, they got a bit of stock, but it felt like each Kia dealer in the province maybe got 4 or 5 new Souls. There were waiting lists on pretty much everything else. This much motion in the fund is very likely connected to Tesla orders. I reserved May 3rd and did the same thing - cancelled and reordered, and there were 700 orders in 5 or 6 hours. Though I presume these are not just Canadian order numbers.
Notice this is despite the Ontario tax credit being cancelled.

Since the first of May the CEV for BC program has been reduced by about 2.5m since I have been watching, that's 500 cars. I can't believe that many non Teslas have sold in that time so my belief is that we are seeing a rapid increase in demand as a result of the SR and SR+ vehicles being included in the Federal program. Would be interested to know if any May 1 reservation holders have a VIN assigned yet, I reserved 1AM May 2 had to cancel and reserve again 8 hours later to use a referral code, there are 170 numbers between the 2 reservations..

Dealers have the option of reserving the BC incentive funds at the time of one ordering If the vehicle isn’t available in stock. According to Tesla West Van this isn’t their practice and they only reserve funds at time of delivery. I have also heard they may reserve at time of VIN assignment however both reps I spoke with said time of delivery. I know Hyundai North Van was reserving funds at time of order. The salesman said so when I was test driving the Kona. My guess is the non Tesla dealers are eating a much larger share than people think. Tesla doesn’t seem to care of customer service whereas the independent dealers are relying on the commission and want to secure the sale.

Yeah, I suspect the rebates are driving the lower end of the market at least as much as Tesla. $10k off a Soul, Leaf, IONIQ, or e-Golf gets you into a brand new EV around $26k before taxes. That puts many of the models within a few thousand of their version ICE base price, and even base model EVs tend to be better equipped. PHEVs sales are probably up too, since stacking the Federal rebate, now you get $5k off those.

I am kind of worried about this rebate running dry before I actually take delivery of my base model M3 with partial premium interior. With 10k savings, me and other fellow BC residents were flocking to the Tesla store in Vancouver, it was absolutely nuts having to fight to find a salesman on a sale floor, after years working in high end european dealerships, it was a real eye opener. I just hope Tesla can actually deliver my car in the 3-4 weeks I was quoted before these rebates disappear.

I am kind of worried about this rebate running dry before I actually take delivery of my base model M3 with partial premium interior. With 10k savings, me and other fellow BC residents were flocking to the Tesla store in Vancouver, it was absolutely nuts having to fight to find a salesman on a sale floor, after years working in high end european dealerships, it was a real eye opener. I just hope Tesla can actually deliver my car in the 3-4 weeks I was quoted before these rebates disappear.

As mentioned above, CEV for BC should be topping up the incentive funds with $42M before they run dry. I placed my order April 27 before the mayhem began and I have yet to hear anything from Tesla about delivery. I’ve called a couple times to the dealerships and they couldn’t provide any further info.

Your only real competition for the rebate money are people in BC and ON. QC's program prohibits stacking of the two afaik (correct me if I'm wrong).

Either way, federally it's 20,000 vehicles. BC is ~8000 vehicles + top up possible. You should be able to get your car in a month or so.

When the money runs out in record pace, the Liberals will have to top up to buy the green votes away from the NDP and Greens.

I saw the email saying the BC fund was going to be topped up. I'm not too worried about the federal fund, I'm sure that will last until at least the election season starts up. Hopefully Tesla can get me the car before then! However I hope the provincial fund doesn't hit empty before I take delivery, then gets topped up with 42 mil AFTER I buy, it'd suck to lose that 5k. Either way, here's hoping the month delivery estimate the sales guy gave me is accurate for BC residents!

I saw the email saying the BC fund was going to be topped up. I'm not too worried about the federal fund, I'm sure that will last until at least the election season starts up. Hopefully Tesla can get me the car before then! However I hope the provincial fund doesn't hit empty before I take delivery, then gets topped up with 42 mil AFTER I buy, it'd suck to lose that 5k. Either way, here's hoping the month delivery estimate the sales guy gave me is accurate for BC residents!
If that were the case and the prov rebate ran out temporarily, I would delay taking delivery. Not your problem Tesla is slow as molasses delivering vehicles.

If that were the case and the prov rebate ran out temporarily, I would delay taking delivery. Not your problem Tesla is slow as molasses delivering vehicles.
Good call, that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing if need be. Not sure how long they'll hold it for, but worst case I can always cancel, refund my money and start this whole process again, although I'd rather not.

Here's a quick prediction of how long the fund has until it needs topped up based on my snapshots of the counter on the page. This is messy since I didn't record time of day on each fund check, but it gives a sense:

May 4. $4,858,128
May 5. $4,323,128 - $626,000 in 1 day
May 7. $3,668,128 - $655,000 in 2 days
May 9. $2,783,128 - $885,000 in 2 days

There's wild variation from 327K to 626K in a day, but I'd guess at 7 days left before it needs topped up.
With the projected 42M top-up, and an average rate of about $400K per day, this funding would last for about 100 days more, taking us to August. That assumes there won't be a tail off of demand, though I think that is very possible.