Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you in BC? Can you not have license plate in the front?
We need front plates here, but at delivery they ask if we want it installed, mainly because some people like to do PPF first and then put the plate on. My guess is that's what's going on here.
I missed some interior damage and some clear coat scratches. Did send pics as soon as possible and appears that they likely knew about it and felt guilty as I apparently have a service centre appointment...no mention of who will be paying but I assume it's them as the damage of the interior was noticed within minutes of departure from the lot but no one left when I returned.
Don't worry, they'll cover it. I had interior damage that I didn't notice initially and they took care of it. I did have a service appointment for a chip I noticed at delivery and they did it at the same time. The downside was I was without the car for just over a week.

Reactions: AdEPT erik
Cops had a speed trap near Powell service centre on Victoria just a couple blocks south of 1st Ave a couple years ago.. I was going 30 or less in the 30km/h school zone where everyone speeds through.. they pulled me over anyways and ticketed me for no front plate.. go figure, I guess it’s more important to them to have a front plate than to not speed through a school zone..
Working for Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes for many years as a young guy I'd often get pulled over for no front plate when I was moving cars around with a dealer plate. Of course as soon as I told them I had a D plate they let me go no problem, but it was still funny to me how they'd ignore people speeding or texting to come bother the young kid in a fancy car over a front plate being missing. Since then, I've been religious about making sure my cars have front plates, no matter how lame it may look.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
it's a non drill plate holder with 3m sticky backing. 2 Hours to pickup a car, yikes.
It didn’t help that no-one showed up until 30 mins after our appointment time. I made myself and wife a Nespresso (after fixing their jammed machine), researched Tesla accessories on the phone and wife luckily brought a book.

When we arrived there was a guy in the office who supposedly notified the office staff (upstairs or in another room) that we were there. He ended up being the insurance agent and our delivery rep never showed up. Someone else’s agent ended up discovering we were waiting inadvertently and scrambled to deal with us before his scheduled appointment arrived. Definitely a *sugar* show but they were nice enough.

A random guy popped in to see about delivery date as they were getting back to him after the initial call. We seemed to have a similar experience with customer service.

Yeah they offered to stick the plate on and I declined. The best aftermarket solution imo is the one where it holds the plate off the car from the bottom. Sorry don't have link handy but it's one of the popular Tesla after market companies.

Does anyone have this? Like it?

Reactions: AdEPT erik
Just spotted this. Will ask the Ministry to confirm my take that the $10M that was recently topped up was the first installment of $42M earmarked, with an additional $37.3 that COULD be accessed. Put another way, there WILL be a further $32M available, and MAY be an additional $37.3M beyond that. Going to see if I can confirm that, and that there won't be a gap in funding.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...ays-spike-in-electric-vehicle-sales-early-may

The $10-million CEV for B.C. top-up was the first instalment of funds from $42 million allocated for the program in the 2019 provincial budget. The province’s CleanBC plan has a contingency fund of $37.3 million that could be accessed if the CEV for B.C. funding runs dry this fiscal year, the ministry said.​

Read to the end of the article, the journalist it appears mentions this... I think the ‘could be’ part is just ‘when they run out’, not a ‘maybe if they choose to’ type of decision.

The $10-million CEV for B.C. top-up was the first instalment of funds from $42 million allocated for the program in the 2019 provincial budget. The province’s CleanBC plan has a contingency fund of $37.3 million that could be accessed if the CEV for B.C. funding runs dry this fiscal year, the ministry said.

The federal incentive will be drawn from a pool of $300 million over three years, according to Transport Canada.

Read to the end of the article, the journalist it appears mentions this... I think the ‘could be’ part is just ‘when they run out’, not a ‘maybe if they choose to’ type of decision.

I think it's a broader contingency fund intended to cover more than just the EV rebates, so I think it's a "maybe if they choose" thing, but, politically, I would think they would want to earmark all (or the vast majority) of that money to any "overage" on the EV rebates.

My main Q is making sure the balance of the "installments" for the $42M occur immediately, because I think the Ministry has the discretion re: timing of those installments. And not sure why they are trickling it out $10M at a time, other than to have some press releases to issue (which is fine by me).

I emailed the Ministry and will circle back with any news re: confirming no "gap" in coverage, at least for the next $32M once the current allocation runs dry.

I think it's a broader contingency fund intended to cover more than just the EV rebates, so I think it's a "maybe if they choose" thing

No, I can tell you with certainty that is not the case. The situation here is that the funding is planned and scheduled a year ahead of time. Government money is not just in one big bank account. They plan out when money is needed throughout the year and negotiate investments and lending to fit that planned schedule. Right now the demand for the program is greater than expected and they need funds sooner. That has them scrambling to write memos explaining to finance management and politicians why they didn’t expect this, and what the impact would be on people etc..

Then finance goes to their accounts to figure out if they should get the money early, or draw it from different sources, promising to replenish those other sources later etc..

No, I can tell you with certainty that is not the case.

Don't make me quote from Hansard!! ;-) Actually, it's a pretty good read on the current lay-of-the-land, and since the Libs brought the program in, I can't imagine any party is keen to object to keeping it topped up...at least before our next provincial election.

From the lips of our Finance Minister herself on May 6th:

Monday, May 6, 2019, p.m., Issue 248

Hon. C. James: I think the member rightly talked about the work being done in EMPR with the federal program. So we’re waiting for the federal program to come into place to see whether any adjustments would need to be made over this next year with our provincial program as well. I think it’s important to note that for CleanBC, just for this fiscal year, there’s $37.3 million in contingencies in this area. A large portion of that, we expect, will be allocated towards the electric vehicle program.
As I say, I think the budget allocated funds to the CleanBC program (of which the EV program is part of), and I think the contingency relates to the entire program, not just the EV program. That's probably largely moot, though, because, again, I suspect there are very few votes to be had by using the contingency to help heavy industry offset their tax burden (for example)--which they could do under the CleanBC program--as opposed to handing it out to individual voters buying EVs.

Again, because this is all political, I also can't imagine the Ministry of Energy and Mines, which has discretion over funding the EV program, choosing to leave a lengthy "gap" in funding (for example, to try and spread it out over the fiscal year), but you never know.

• Informative
Reactions: BEPA400
Don't make me quote from Hansard!! ;-) Actually, it's a pretty good read on the current lay-of-the-land, and since the Libs brought the program in, I can't imagine any party is keen to object to keeping it topped up...at least before our next provincial election.

From the lips of our Finance Minister herself on May 6th:

Monday, May 6, 2019, p.m., Issue 248

Hon. C. James: I think the member rightly talked about the work being done in EMPR with the federal program. So we’re waiting for the federal program to come into place to see whether any adjustments would need to be made over this next year with our provincial program as well. I think it’s important to note that for CleanBC, just for this fiscal year, there’s $37.3 million in contingencies in this area. A large portion of that, we expect, will be allocated towards the electric vehicle program.
As I say, I think the budget allocated funds to the CleanBC program (of which the EV program is part of), and I think the contingency relates to the entire program, not just the EV program. That's probably largely moot, though, because, again, I suspect there are very few votes to be had by using the contingency to help heavy industry offset their tax burden (for example)--which they could do under the CleanBC program--as opposed to handing it out to individual voters buying EVs.

Again, because this is all political, I also can't imagine the Ministry of Energy and Mines, which has discretion over funding the EV program, choosing to leave a lengthy "gap" in funding (for example, to try and spread it out over the fiscal year), but you never know.
Good quote!

Check the details: 37.3 contingency is different than the 32 in remaining top ups. That contingency is what will (if they choose) carry the funding on after the 32 remaining top ups run out sometime in August. Right?

We recently ordered a Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. It won’t arrive for 8 months. 2020. We asked about the two incentives. Our sales guy said the two incentives are secured as soon as the order is registered. I asked if that can be put in writing. The answer was “Yep”. Order was processed (2000 bucks down) On the bill of sale (technically the order form) it shows the two incentives calculated into the total and the amount still owing when the car comes in. Not sure if Tesla does it different or not but Our Nisssn dealer has been doing this every day. Every single new leaf in BC is sold so all they can do is order at this point. Guessing they know how to deal with the incentives.

Last edited:
We recently ordered a Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. It won’t arrive for 8 months. 2020. We asked about the two incentives. Our sales guy said the two incentives are secured as soon as the order is registered. I asked if that can be put in writing. The answer was “Yep”. Order was processed (2000 bucks down) On the bill of sale (technically the order form) it shows the two incentives calculated into the total and the amount still owing when the car comes in. Not sure if Tesla does it different or not but Our Nisssn dealer has been doing this every day. Every single new leaf in BC is sold so all they can do is order at this point. Guessing they know how to deal with the incentives.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me based on what I've been reading. I think: (1) you need a VIN to reserve (would you have a VIN for a car to be delivered in 8 months? That doesn't seem likely, but I'm not in the biz), and (2) the sale has to be completed within 90 days of reserving the funds. From the CEV for BC Dealer Manual:

OEM Orders and Submission of Dealership Applications – 90 Day Cut-Off Incentive amounts will be reserved for up to 90 days for OEM order vehicles; if a vehicle sale is not completed within the 90 days, the reserved incentive funds for that vehicle will be re-allocated to the general incentive funds available. Incentive funds expended, reserved and remaining will be tracked on the CEVforBC™ website tracker. Please note: For OEM orders, the VIN is mandatory. An OEM order application cannot be submitted if the VIN is missing.​