Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery is today but I got a call from Tesla that the provincial rebate went down to $3000 from $5000 effective today....
Regrets for not picking up my car yesterday......

Okay I don't think people at Tesla don't know much about this rebate change. I reserved in before today so I'm getting my car delivered today but I still got an email saying that I'm not eligible for the full provincial rebate...

WIth the program stating "The changes made include lowering the maximum price eligibility threshold to $55,000", that might mean that the only M3 eligible would be the black colour at $54,990? And if they include the $100 AC Surcharge/Tax as part of the total , it would actually push the car over 55k?

The release states "Vehicles purchased or reserved prior to that date will be covered by the prior program incentives and rules". I reserved June 11 and my delivery is scheduled for Wednesday so I believe it should be ok.

I just spoke with someone at Tesla and they said that this only applies to cars that had their rebate funds reserved before June 22nd, unfortunately, Tesla does not reserve the funds when you place the order. I was supposed to pick my car up today and I'm pretty upset that Tesla didn't reserve the funds earlier.

I just spoke with someone at Tesla and they said that this only applies to cars that had their rebate funds reserved before June 22nd, unfortunately, Tesla does not reserve the funds when you place the order. I was supposed to pick my car up today and I'm pretty upset that Tesla didn't reserve the funds earlier.

Same...picking up my car today and I guess my rebate fund isn't reserved either since we're both on the same boat.

WIth the program stating "The changes made include lowering the maximum price eligibility threshold to $55,000", that might mean that the only M3 eligible would be the black colour at $54,990? And if they include the $100 AC Surcharge/Tax as part of the total , it would actually push the car over 55k?
Msrp. You will qualify. It's possible the higher varient will too since its still on the list for eligible vehicles.

On government announcement, it clearly said “vehicles purchased OR reserved” prior today still qualifies for old rules. Nowhere it mentioned the fund had to be reserved but rather the vehicle reservation itself has to be done prior to today.

Shouldn’t all reservations acknowledged prior today qualify? I’m not sure how the reservation of fund works, but taken at face value, the announcement says different to what Tesla is saying.

It's better than nothing and wasn't Tesla's fault. If you got SR+, be happy you qualify for the fed rebate too. After ownership and driving for a short period of time, you will realize how it was all worth it at the end.

The reductions of rebate isn’t Tesla’s fault, but the government statement clearly stated that vehicles reserved prior today qualified the old rules. Tesla should have be more in line of their reservation vs. the government reservation.

From my understanding, I reserved the vehicle prior to the change date with the old amount in mind. But the change affected me anyway because the way Tesla reservation works isn’t the same as the reservation guidelines by BC government. IMO, that’s a big oversight to say the least.

The reductions of rebate isn’t Tesla’s fault, but the government statement clearly stated that vehicles reserved prior today qualified the old rules. Tesla should have be more in line of their reservation vs. the government reservation.

From my understanding, I reserved the vehicle prior to the change date with the old amount in mind. But the change affected me anyway because the way Tesla reservation works isn’t the same as the reservation guidelines by BC government. IMO, that’s a big oversight to say the least.

The thing is, you "reserved" the vehicle from tesla, but tesla has not "reserved" the funds from the government. If you read the entirety of this thread it was pretty clear that Tesla doesn't reserve any fundings until the delivery date.

It's very unfortunate, yes. But it is what it is.

• Love
Reactions: scramies
They can’t reserve it, it becomes even a bigger logistics challenge. They reserve it once the car is done Nvis import. Too many variables before the car lands in Canada.

The govt policy works if any Manufacturer had local inventory of cars. But it doesn’t mesh with the way Tesla orders are done

The thing is, you "reserved" the vehicle from tesla, but tesla has not "reserved" the funds from the government. If you read the entirety of this thread it was pretty clear that Tesla doesn't reserve any fundings until the delivery date.

It's very unfortunate, yes. But it is what it is.

The thing is, the government announcement was very straightforward; any “reservation” of vehicle prior today qualified for the old rules. And yet Tesla is saying that it’s the reservation of funds.

It seems to me that either Tesla needs to challenge the government on their wording or change its statements on how its reservation works differently than others.

I could certainly afford the $2000 difference. But Tesla just upset me because nowhere in the preorder process state anything about this. And customers were instead told to come up with $2000 extra or nothing will happen. They didn’t even bother to say at least they will double check with bc government for further clarification or acknowledged that they should change their statements

Last edited: