Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing is, the government announcement was very straightforward; any “reservation” of vehicle prior today qualified for the old rules. And yet Tesla is saying that it’s the reservation of funds.

It seems to me that either Tesla needs to challenge the government on their wording or change its statements on how its reservation works differently than others.

I could certainly afford the $2000 difference. But Tesla just upset me because nowhere in the preorder process state anything about this. And customers were instead told to come up with $2000 extra or nothing will happen. They didn’t even bother to say at least they will double check with bc government for further clarification or acknowledged that they should change their statements

I'm guessing that the vast majority of the "reservations" that could have been grandfathered in were Model 3 reservation holders. If BC really intended to grandfather in these reservation holders, it should have implemented the change differently.

I'm supposed to pick up my car next week, so I'm curious to see people post their experiences. My account also shows $8,000 in incentives. Tesla hasn't contacted me yet, but my delivery date is later in the week.

If Tesla can't give us a discount, I wonder if they can give us something (e.g. free FSD) as a matter of goodwill. I would still prefer the $2000 though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus
Ugh, I have my pickup scheduled for tomorrow morning and just received an email saying my amount due has been increased by 2K. Tesla does not reserve any funds despite what the news article states... you're just out of luck.

Received the same email for my delivery tomorrow. However, it still seems odd, since the CEV update states that vehicles reserved prior to June 22 are covered by the previous incentives. It says “vehicles reserved” rather than “incentives reserved”. I wonder if Tesla people were also shocked by the sudden change and just took actions (that may or may not be accurate) without figuring out the details.

Received the same email for my delivery tomorrow. However, it still seems odd, since the CEV update states that vehicles reserved prior to June 22 are covered by the previous incentives. It says “vehicles reserved” rather than “incentives reserved”. I wonder if Tesla people were also shocked by the sudden change and just took actions (that may or may not be accurate) without figuring out the details.

Unfortunately, here are the official rules from CEVforBC:

Buyers who have purchased (A sale is deemed completed and consummated when the purchaser of the vehicle has paid the purchase price, or, in lieu thereof, has signed a purchase contract or security agreement and taken physical possession or delivery of the vehicle) before June 22, 2019 will be covered by the former incentives and rules.

Unfortunately, here are the official rules from CEVforBC:

Buyers who have purchased (A sale is deemed completed and consummated when the purchaser of the vehicle has paid the purchase price, or, in lieu thereof, has signed a purchase contract or security agreement and taken physical possession or delivery of the vehicle) before June 22, 2019 will be covered by the former incentives and rules.

Darn, many of us just got slapped by the prov govt.

Can’t blame Tesla on this one except being able to produce cars that people want and can deliver.

Govt decided to do this on weekend, so they wouldn’t get to much flack and leave the mess with dealers.

Tesla doesn’t control policy

Ask anyone in Ontario when the $13k incentive got pulled by the new govt

I'm guessing that the vast majority of the "reservations" that could have been grandfathered in were Model 3 reservation holders. If BC really intended to grandfather in these reservation holders, it should have implemented the change differently.

I'm supposed to pick up my car next week, so I'm curious to see people post their experiences. My account also shows $8,000 in incentives. Tesla hasn't contacted me yet, but my delivery date is later in the week.

If Tesla can't give us a discount, I wonder if they can give us something (e.g. free FSD) as a matter of goodwill. I would still prefer the $2000 though.
It sucks but What why would discount or good will anything?

For sure. They really should have announced the change with some buffer time so people (and Tesla) could sort this out.

Instead they just flipped the switch without caring about the consequences.

I contacted CEVforBC asking for guidance for those of us expecting to pick up next week: Contact Us | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia | New Car Dealers of BC. Maybe if enough of us contact them, they'll revise their qualifications.

I don't think that how they implemented this change is consistent with the spirit of what they stated. Although perhaps I should be more cynical about things.

Ugh, I have my pickup scheduled for tomorrow morning and just received an email saying my amount due has been increased by 2K. Tesla does not reserve any funds despite what the news article states... you're just out of luck.
Correct. Unfortunately out of luck. It’s sucks that the rebate was changed but some people went to pickup their vehicles and they was no rebate available. They got none of the provincial $5,000. Governments are notorious for changing rules on the fly. Just like shopping at Costco, get it now while it last or you’re likely out of luck.

I contacted CEVforBC asking for guidance for those of us expecting to pick up next week: Contact Us | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia | New Car Dealers of BC. Maybe if enough of us contact them, they'll revise their qualifications.

I don't think that how they implemented this change is consistent with the spirit of what they stated. Although perhaps I should be more cynical about things.
They are not going to change the qualifications or backdate incentives. They reduced the amount to make the rebates go further and if clearly says subject to change and availability of rebate. Unfortunately Tesla hasn’t been reserving rebates at time of ordering like many manufacturers have. You will qualify for whatever Tesla has on your MVPA. The rebate amount is based on whatever the current amount is when they secure the funds. It’s mostly on Tesla unfortunately if you don’t get the full $5,000 if they are being proactive. That being said I don’t blame them for their practices and that’s the downside of not going with a traditionals dealer. These rebate deals are negotiated behind the scenes between the government and head offices of the manufacturers. The frontline staff are the first to know. Don’t miss the fact that the New Car Dealers Assoc. (essentially a lobby group) isn’t a big fan of Tesla and their no dealership sales model.

Or maybe cancel your order?
I am sure there will be even more people buying the car up as it seems like rebate will be gradually decreased

Coming from an owner since last year welcome to Tesla and EV world. Things are changing almost every couple week. Don’t be surprise they will be giving out free FSD in 6 month.

Reactions: Wilsonwww
They are not going to change the qualifications or backdate incentives. They reduced the amount to make the rebates go further and if clearly says subject to change and availability of rebate. Unfortunately Tesla hasn’t been reserving rebates at time of ordering like many manufacturers have. You will qualify for whatever Tesla has on your MVPA. The rebate amount is based on whatever the current amount is when they secure the funds. It’s mostly on Tesla unfortunately if you don’t get the full $5,000 if they are being proactive. That being said I don’t blame them for their practices and that’s the downside of not going with a traditionals dealer. These rebate deals are negotiated behind the scenes between the government and head offices of the manufacturers. The frontline staff are the first to know. Don’t miss the fact that the New Car Dealers Assoc. (essentially a lobby group) isn’t a big fan of Tesla and their no dealership sales model.

I just want to add that the MVPA is subject to changes by Tesla until you signed it, hence us with more than one versions in our accounts. You would expect they have reserved the incentives when they provide the MVPA (and a final amount due), but apprently not the case.

Correct. Unfortunately out of luck. It’s sucks that the rebate was changed but some people went to pickup their vehicles and they was no rebate available. They got none of the provincial $5,000. Governments are notorious for changing rules on the fly. Just like shopping at Costco, get it now while it last or you’re likely out of luck.

I just want to add that the MVPA is subject to changes by Tesla until you signed it, hence us with more than one versions in our accounts. You would expect they have reserved the incentives when they provide the MVPA (and a final amount due), but apprently not the case.

Best Thing is for multiple people to write to cevforBC to reconsider the rules for Tesla, meaning, people who reserved M3 before June 22, 2019 should be eligible for 5k rebate. This is perhaps the only way to get the govt change their mind.

• Funny
Reactions: phtp and spurs10
I picked up my car on Sunday, they booked over 150 deliveries that day alone. I heard people demanding refunds due to the $2000 decrease in rebates. Yes it's too bad but it's not Tesla's fault, the application form clearly states you have to take delivery before June 22 to qualify, even a reservation is not sufficient. Writing to cevforbc is not going to do anything.

At the end of the day, we got $8000 from the gov. for the purchase, for free, you just can't complain about that. I've enjoyed every second of driving it so far and have no regrets. $2000 is just not enough to justify a cancellation on a 60K car. Be happy for what you get and enjoy the car, because these rebates will be totally gone at some point and then people will get nothing.

I picked up my car on Sunday, they booked over 150 deliveries that day alone. I heard people demanding refunds due to the $2000 decrease in rebates. Yes it's too bad but it's not Tesla's fault, the application form clearly states you have to take delivery before June 22 to qualify, even a reservation is not sufficient. Writing to cevforbc is not going to do anything.

At the end of the day, we got $8000 from the gov. for the purchase, for free, you just can't complain about that. I've enjoyed every second of driving it so far and have no regrets. $2000 is just not enough to justify a cancellation on a 60K car. Be happy for what you get and enjoy the car, because these rebates will be totally gone at some point and then people will get nothing.

Also got my SR+ yesterday despite the $2000 loss, but I have been enjoying the car ever since I drove off the lot. No regrets.

Unfortunately, that's not how tax rules work--the changes run from the date of announcement. I suspected they were going to drop the rebate amount, as the only car that is available right now in any volume is the Tesla...and they were chewing through the rebates. Tesla could have chosen to reserve in advance, but the reality is that they didn't need to in order to keep pushing through 100+ deliveries a day. With the NDP/Greens in charge, all the letter writing in the World isn't going to bring a tear to their eyes that the "rich" people buying Tesla's should be given a break out of a sense of "fairness" (particularly with the MSRP now being dropped to <$55k--with that change, with no advance warning, some folks lost out on $5k overnight).

That's why I'm left with a little niggle that the counter might be they need to dole it out in batches so that they have the flexibility to drop the rebate amount, given the success of the program, to ensure it's fair to everyone by spreading the $ out until April 2020 (which would allow time to get some votes--err, I mean some Hyundais and Kias--delivered).

Reactions: phtp
Before rules are changed, enough notice should be given so that people can plan accordingly.
Realistically people need to plan for not getting the rebate as it could run out and not be topped up. There's always a chance for that with any government programs and incentives in general. While it sucks, it's a fair way for more people to qualify for the rebate.

Realistically people need to plan for not getting the rebate as it could run out and not be topped up. There's always a chance for that with any government programs and incentives in general. While it sucks, it's a fair way for more people to qualify for the rebate.
No rebate means no EV in my case. With 8K still around just keeps me interested. Everyone has a different perspective.