Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were just at a Tesla store in Vancouver today asking about what inventory cars they had. They said they had about a hundred of them that all went immediately as soon as the federal rebate was announced and only had a couple still available. They also said they had heard the BC $5k rebate is likely to run out of money by the end of June since they are now so popular. Is there any way they could possibly know this or was this just a salesperson trying to get you to order asap?

Here is where you can see what is left:

Clean Energy Vehicle Program | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia | New Car Dealers of BC

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the graphic, current snapshot:

Screenshot_20190502-200450.png

So 5.7M still available, that's enough for around 1100 EVs, so probably will last for a month or so assuming 200-300 model 3 per week plus other EVs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Here is where you can see what is left:

Clean Energy Vehicle Program | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia | New Car Dealers of BC

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the graphic, current snapshot:

View attachment 403457

So 5.7M still available, that's enough for around 1100 EVs, so probably will last for a month or so assuming 200-300 model 3 per week plus other EVs.

Thanks for that! Does anyone know if you need to take delivery before the funds run out to qualify?

Thanks for that! Does anyone know if you need to take delivery before the funds run out to qualify?

Tesla’s official line is yes however I know they can reserve the funds for you but choose not to unlike other dealers. They don’t seem to want to claim as “on order” that and make you wait until the day of to see if you qualify. Very frustrating as they have such poor communication and you’re basically in limbo from when you place your order until delivery calls you.

I’ve been following the cevforbc numbers and they dropped about $700k today alone. Yesterday was $250k. This may be because people held off for May 1st and are now are taking delivery or that there’s been a huge rush of orders.

If the funds keep dropping like they have the last few days it won’t last much more than a week. A lot of angry customers. Tesla sales staff seem to know less than the general public.

I ordered a week ago, confirmed my vehicle is in Van, have my vehicle assigned to me (by VIN) but no word on a possible delivery date.

There was a major push in the fall by the dealers as well. I chatted with Dueck on a Bolt at the time and their sales pitch was that the rebate was ending, so get on it. 2 weeks later, CEV was re-funded and he was happy to "negotiate". And then we bought a Model 3, ha!
I'd be surprised if the NDP didn't renew it. They can't very well kill off pipelines without funding EV's!

There was a major push in the fall by the dealers as well. I chatted with Dueck on a Bolt at the time and their sales pitch was that the rebate was ending, so get on it. 2 weeks later, CEV was re-funded and he was happy to "negotiate". And then we bought a Model 3, ha!
I'd be surprised if the NDP didn't renew it. They can't very well kill off pipelines without funding EV's!

I called and spoke with CEV for BC. They said that $46M of funding has been renewed for 2019/2020 however they are waiting for the money from the government. There is no eta however the money has been requested. As Ken604 mentioned above, these funds were allocated during the 2019 provincial budget.

I asked what will happen if there is no money left when you take delivery and the next day the funding is topped up. They said you’re out of luck and it won’t be retroactive as the funding must be available and the dealer must apply at the time of delivery. They mentioned the best place to watch is their website CEVforBC.ca Something to keep in mind.

Don't worry be happy!

TLDR: "there will not be a gap between the current funding and the new Budget 2019 funding"

I emailed CEV for BC and here is the response:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Clean Energy Vehicle Enquiries EMPR:EX <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:17 AM
Subject: RE: Cev for bc funding
To:

Hi Ryan,

Budget 2019 committed to an additional $42 million this year for the CEVforBC vehicle incentives. The Budget 2019 funding will be provided to the program to re-load the account prior to the current funding running out; there will not be a gap between the current funding and the new Budget 2019 funding.

Cheers,

Jenna​