TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BC Scrap-It EV Incentive Program - $3000

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Anday, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Anday

Anday Member

Hi everyone, I did a quick forum search and didn't see anyone mention this EV incentive program for BC residents.

Long story short, if you scrap an eligible vehicle (2000 or older model, registered owner, insured for 6 consecutive months under ICBC at time of application) you can get an additional $3000 towards an eligible EV! With the upcoming CEV for BC campaign rolling out again in the near future, this combined incentive will put us close to our friends out in the East Coast.

Here is the link to more information Scrap-It EV Program.

Hope this will help some of you! I'm still saving for the Model X.

2. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your first post!

The car would need to be 14 years old and worth less than $3000 on the open market to make sense.
    Ok, did an autotrader.ca lookup for cars in BC that match that criteria.
    That returned 409 "cars" (1990-2000 model year, in BC, less than $3000)
    The first page of results was typical, namely, "perfect condition, just needs new water pump", etc. ;-)

To put that into perspective, there are currently 25,651 cars for sale in BC on autotrader!
    That means that 1.6% of the cars available fit the "generous" criteria for BC EV scrap it program.

The average price of an electric car, about $30K before incentives.

What's the likelyhood someone with $25K to spend after incentives and tax on a new EV also has one of those 1% beaters? Anyone? :confused:

Bizarre incentive IMHO.

Glad to see they are trying something, but not sure this is going to actually get used...

3. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I agree with your analysis, but there are always weird people out there. Take me, for example. :) I own a Model S, and my wife drives a 25 year old Volvo station wagon. She loves the station wagon. It just keeps running. But as a used car it is definitely worth much less than $3000. I'd love to trade it in on a Model X, but

a) she doesn't want a Model X
    b) $3000 isn't really a relevant factor in a purchase over $100K.

4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Does the east coast have incentives too? Cool. I wish AB did but here at least no PST makes a significant difference.

5. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Quebec (8,000$) and Ontario (8,500$) have after tax cash rebates. In Quebec, the car must have a > 15 kWh battery to qualify (5-15 kWh gets 4,000$). Not sure about Ontario.

6. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Oh ha ha, "east coast" i thought meant the maritimes :)

Actually river brick its good to know about the quebec incentive since am planning to move to montreal this spring :wink:

7. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I wonder if you will come out ahead since you will need to pay the pst in Quebec.
    I wish for EV's, the only incentive we had would be no tax...That would be saving 15% (or close to 15000) vs 8500 rebate in Ontario.)