Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's scary. Thanks for posting this.
BTW just for perspective:
here are the manufacturers that had the highest number of recalls over the past five years, according to ISeeCars.com:

General Motors
Recalls: 213
Vehicles affected: 54,942,962

Ford
Recalls: 209
Vehicles affected: 24,892,471

Chrysler
Recalls: 208
Vehicles affected: 40,726,068

Mercedes-Benz
Recalls: 117
Vehicles affected: 3,150,014

Volkswagen
Recalls: 109
Vehicles affected: 6,510,514

And these manufacturers had the lowest number of recalls among top U.S. carmakers from 2014 through 2018:

Tesla
Recalls: 8
Vehicles affected: 210,727

Volvo LLC
Recalls: 14
Vehicles affected: 190,444

Suzuki Motor of America
Recalls: 24
Vehicles affected: 482,866

Porsche Cars North America
Recalls: 27
Vehicles affected: 257,732

Tie: Subaru of America Inc.
Recalls: 35
Vehicles affected: 3,465,501

Tie: Land Rover
Recalls: 35
Vehicles potentially affected: 477,080
Many or most recalls are less serious issues

This looks like a one piece Stover.nut/washer. And since it's not castellated, does anybody know if by removal if it is in fact a Stover?
Stover Lock Nuts - Fastener Mart

Fun fact - turning on different varieties of Loctite, when coupled with a Stover? You would literally have to use MAPP gas / heat to remove them, in many instances. That's just to say, a castle nut is by far, not the best way to go.

Looks more like a standard Nyloc nut to me... note the non-metal captive material protruding from inside the top nut surface around the stud shank...

Nut.png

Yup. Something simple like cross-threading can happen during installation.

Let's keep track:
- M3 injury and death count due to this issue: 0/500,000 (?)
- MY injury and death count due to this issue: 0/50,000 (?)

Used to be but I don’t believe it’s the current practice with better hardware from what I’ve been able to find. I doubt the two noted on this thread were ever installed or not installed properly, could happen with any hardware on any vehicle.

Yup. Something simple like cross-threading can happen during installation.

Let's keep track:
- M3 injury and death count due to this issue: 0/500,000 (?)
- MY injury and death count due to this issue: 0/50,000 (?)

Potential injury and deaths due to this issue : >150,000

Litigation costs when a serious injury or death is caused by this issue
£($) Billions

Value of Tesla stock due to injury's or death caused by this issue : over the cliff edge.

Teslas' reputation due to this issue and how/if they address it : ZERO

Thus far, despite having been made aware of this serious safety issue Tesla have failed to recognise or address the issue, doing absolutely nothing to reassure their customers.

Sheer contempt for the safety of their loyal customers and the safety of others.

Shameful.

Last edited:
1. Two people reported here they have this issue, not five.
2. I don't know if that's even true. Hope so.
3. Could happen with any company and happened with all of them and none of them dead.
4. Tesla gets so much attention any BS is newsworthy.
5. Tesla QC must be continuously improving and nothing wrong with demanding that.
6. Nothing even happened. Every car manufacturer in the world made some mistakes that killed people. 100% safety is impossible.
7. What they should say about it? They grown ups and managing business. They will decide what to do. Aren't they need to study first what happened and how to prevent it in future? Before going public and making empty promises about topic that most people don't even care about?
8. Hysterical attempts to prove that this is something extraordinary are not even believable.
9. Nut probably unscrewed due to the faulty torque wrench. Happens, but very rarely nowadays.

This is serious defect. And reporting that issue is warranted. But it's not extraordinary.

[MODERATOR NOTE: Please stick to the facts do not clutter the thread with chatter or hyperbole. Thanks.]

Please check the tie rods under your Model Y so that they are securely in place!

We noticed the other day that our Model Y's (VIN 0307xx, barely a month old) front right tire was pointing inward (top pointing inward) more than it should be. Upon inspection, we found that the tie rod was sideways and there was nothing holding it in place! Normally, a tie rod is held in place by a castle nut and cotter pin to keep the tie rod securely in place. None of this was there. Just the end of the tie rod.

As soon as we realized this car is not safe to drive, we called Tesla. They called a tow company to tow our Y to the nearest SC here in Florida to get it fixed. Thank God nothing worse happened to us as we have already driven the car more than 2000 miles on road trips! However, for a $60,000+ car, this should not happen! Please check over your Model Y to make sure yours is safe to drive. You don't want to have tie rod come loose while driving down the road.

Has anyone else encountered this before?
View attachment 582441 View attachment 582442

Hi, I’m new to the club. I recently got my model Y performance and love it. In view of the report about missing nuts on suspension components I decided to take it to my shop and remove all the lower covers to inspect all the suspension components. All were properly installed and tight, that said what you are looking at is the lower control arm / ball joint nut. They have a nylon self locking mechanism. They won’t come off even if loose but that part in particular will make a bad noise when going over bumps, did you experience this condition? Here is a picture of the suspension of my model Y where it shows what it should look like. Furthermore, if anybody would like to have their Tesla suspension inspected and tighten if necessary, I’ll be more than happy to help with it at no by my state safety inspector and master-technician.

Attachments

• B3E98D59-FADE-4EC9-8C63-F74E9191FA8A.jpeg
    B3E98D59-FADE-4EC9-8C63-F74E9191FA8A.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 17551973-49C6-4F68-BD8F-5AEE21C5C947.jpeg
    17551973-49C6-4F68-BD8F-5AEE21C5C947.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 110
  • CDEF8EE3-D0D7-49D6-B04D-827A1BA5F7EE.jpeg
    CDEF8EE3-D0D7-49D6-B04D-827A1BA5F7EE.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Love
Reactions: Hawkstrike

£($) Billions

Value of Tesla stock due to injury's or death caused by this issue : over the cliff edge.

Thus far, despite having been made aware of this serious safety issue Tesla have failed to recognise or address the issue, doing absolutely nothing to reassure their customers.

Sheer contempt for the safety of their loyal customers and the safety of others.

Shameful.

Of all the Chicken Littling that has gone on concerning Y issues, this BY FAR, takes the cake... It is you that should be ashamed of yourself. Please stop trying to be right and pushing whatever agenda it is that you have. We'll all be better off for it.

Have Ys even been delivered to Britain yet?

This is an absolutely serious issue. You have no idea how Tesla is or is not addressing it. This whole 'even one' rhetoric is unsupportable. If that were the case, no car on the planet would move because EVERY car on the planet has had an issue.

Of all the Chicken Littling that has gone on concerning Y issues, this BY FAR, takes the cake... It is you that should be ashamed of yourself. Please stop trying to be right and pushing whatever agenda it is that you have. We'll all be better off for it.

Have Ys even been delivered to Britain yet?

This is an absolutely serious issue. You have no idea how Tesla is or is not addressing it. This whole 'even one' rhetoric is unsupportable. If that were the case, no car on the planet would move because EVERY car on the planet has had an issue.
Thank you - this crap is so out of control it’s pathetic at this point.
Edit: seriously, I blame the whole everybody gets a participation trophy mindset for this stuff. Six Sigma or not, with enough samples you’ll find defects. Deal with it or don’t play, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkstrike

£($) Billions

Shameful.

If you have some sort of relevant, statistical data showing that up to 150k Tesla vehicles are affected by this Issue, then please, by all means share with the rest of the class. Otherwise I’ll assume all of your figures are merely PDOOMA numbers and treat your post with the respect it deserves.

Did anyone file a complaint at NHTSA yet?

As far as I can tell there have been two suspension related complaints filed, and they are both fraudulent. (Filed by someone other the owner that doesn't have the real details, with a VIN they pulled from the Internet.) One is signed by our "friend" Keef. (The other essentially just points to this thread as evidence that it "AFFECTS EVERY MODEL Y ON THE ROADS.".)

As far as I can tell there have been two suspension related complaints filed, and they are both fraudulent. (Filed by someone other the owner that doesn't have the real details, with a VIN they pulled from the Internet.) One is signed by our "friend" Keef. (The other essentially just points to this thread as evidence that it "AFFECTS EVERY MODEL Y ON THE ROADS.".)
Did our “friend” from the UK get involved? Very opinionated for a non-owner, although there are others likewise inclined here....