Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-9-13_22-35-23.png

It appears that the nuts being discussed are control arm nuts, not tie rod. Unless I’m mistaken the tie rod is the one on the left that’s half silver half black.

The questionable build quality saga continues.... As well as Teslas' denial policy and shocking lack of any customer service...

Tesla Model S Owner Reports Broken Suspension at High Speed, He’s Not Alone
Cancel your order already and leave the forum - don't suffer that much.

Your activity on this forum is something - every single post either negative or why it's better not to buy Tesla now or why Polestar is better.

To everyone else on the subject: Every car manufacturer has defects. Tesla is in a spotlight, so the same stories happening to every other manufacturer are only newsworthy with Tesla. Cars break suspension arms once in a while. All of them.

And because Tesla is newsworthy - it's easy to push higher waves on stock prices and make profit on that. So multiple teams dedicated to building hysteria online once in a while. Consumer ratings reflecting what happens with consumers vs alternative products.

Agreed. I'm repeating myself, but these trolls are pathetic.

They're getting so desperate that they need to dredge up something on a completely different vehicle (Model S) for FUD. They couldn't even find something associated with the Model X, which would be an SUV like the Model Y. Model 3 shares a lot of the same parts, but they couldn't find something there either?

Tesla had record deliveries last quarter, through the pandemic and all of the weak online trolling. People see more and more of the Model Ys driving around, talk to the owners, take test drives ...etc... and they sell. You've got a lot of BEVs that get the $7500 credit "coming soon" (TM) and some that are available right now sitting on dealer lots with massive discounts instead of waiting weeks or months or years for a Tesla.

Cancel your order already and leave the forum - don't suffer that much.

Your activity on this forum is something - every single post either negative or why it's better not to buy Tesla now or why Polestar is better.

To everyone else on the subject: Every car manufacturer has defects. Tesla is in a spotlight, so the same stories happening to every other manufacturer are only newsworthy with Tesla. Cars break suspension arms once in a while. All of them.

And because Tesla is newsworthy - it's easy to push higher waves on stock prices and make profit on that. So multiple teams dedicated to building hysteria online once in a while. Consumer ratings reflecting what happens with consumers vs alternative products.

So this only happens to tesla?

Perhaps not, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want it happening to the one I drive with my family on board.

like the Model Y. Model 3 shares a lot of the same parts, but they couldn't find something there either?

Tesla convertible? Model Y roof flies off while owners drive down California highway

Neither would I want this happen to the car I'm driving ... but maybe it is the usually quoted "within spec"?

To everyone else on the subject: Every car manufacturer has defects

Yes, but I haven't yet heard of any that has unintentionally converted into a convertible..... have you?

But at least Tesla did say they would service his car free of charge and supply a hire car loaner while they fix it. Very benevolent of them.

Cars break suspension arms once in a while. All of them.

Well, I am on my 42nd car, not one of them have had a suspension arm break..... or the roof fly-off!

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Last edited:
Perhaps not, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want it happening to the one I drive with my family on board.

Tesla convertible? Model Y roof flies off while owners drive down California highway

Neither would I want this happen to the car I'm driving ... but maybe it is the usually quoted "within spec"?

Yes, but I haven't yet heard of any that has unintentionally converted into a convertible..... have you?

But at least Tesla did say they would service his car free of charge and supply a hire car loaner while they fix it. Very benevolent of them.

Well, I am on my 42nd car, not one of them have had a suspension arm break..... or the roof fly-off!

Maybe I've just been lucky.
Damn right you were lucky. As well as million of Tesla buyers who never had car roof flying off. Not as much lucky were multiple Corvette and Cadillac XLR buyers who had their roof actually flying off.

You also were more lucky than Toyota RAV4 2006-11 buyers multiple of which had lower control arms breaking at speed. Toyota, that perceived as most reliable car manufacturer. With one of most popular model.

And, btw also more lucky than RAV4 2018 buyers who, guess what, again started to break same arms after problem was fixed.

You coming here and spewing your baseless claims that Tesla is more dangerous and has more defects. Or defects likes of which never been heard. While google easily shows otherwise. Stats of recalls and issues show that this stuff is not newsworthy daily thing in cars world.

Damn right you were lucky. As well as million of Tesla buyers who never had car roof flying off. Not as much lucky were multiple Corvette and Cadillac XLR buyers who had their roof actually flying off.

You also were more lucky than Toyota RAV4 2006-11 buyers multiple of which had lower control arms breaking at speed. Toyota, that perceived as most reliable car manufacturer. With one of most popular model.

And, btw also more lucky than RAV4 2018 buyers who, guess what, again started to break same arms after problem was fixed.

You coming here and spewing your baseless claims that Tesla is more dangerous and has more defects. Or defects likes of which never been heard. While google easily shows otherwise. Stats of recalls and issues show that this stuff is not newsworthy daily thing in cars world.

Ford too. Tesla gets an awful lot of attention for things that happen to other cars as well. Not that Tesla doesn’t have quite a lot of room for quality improvement but they get disproportionate scorn.

The same thing at Ford (recalled, as Tesla should do): Ford Recall 16V695000: Panoramic Sunroof Panel Detaches From Vehicle

Reactions: DanDi58
Nobody says Tesla doesn't have problems. In fact publicly posting about problems inevitably forces them to fix and learn faster. But going on every post and claiming that other cars don't have the same issues is a blatant lie.

At the moment Tesla service is not very good, but it's much better than before. And in many places it's already great. Panel gaps were huge, now much better. Paint was *sugar*, keeps improving and I have no doubts eventually it will be much better. Wind noise keeps decreasing.

Tesla is a good choice for many people today. Not just for those who want a car decade ahead of others. It's also for those who want safest car. Or fun car. Or lowest fuel cost car. Or great sound system car for reasonable money. Or best cruise control car. Or car that supports company that fights more than others combined for sustainable consumption.

But it's not for those who want a car of most reliable brand, whatever one believes it is. Not yet. Not even pretending to be one, yet.

Moreover - you can't have that fast progress already and be the most reliable car manufacturer. No such companies exists. But it's doable in future.

Tesla always improving. Your car will have software improvements mostly. More than any other car on the market, though. But you can lease it and take new one few years later. Or sell to somebody who has 25K budget.

Or just find the right brand for you and stop harassing everyone for your poor brand choice.

But if you happened to get onto bandwagon of Polestar secret influencers - think whether it's healthy for you. You ain't going to make a dent against army of brand loyal actual Tesla consumers anyway. There are more of them and they aren't paid.

This is posted here as being pertinent to the subject matter of this thread by way of education and for no other (perceived or otherwise) reason.

*Spoiler alert *
It is quite likely to upset some people, so those of a touchy disposition, have blinkered view or do not like to hear of potential issues that have been discovered by owners of Tesla vehicles, the content of this article is unlikely to be an enjoyable or recommended article to read.

It will no doubt be of particular interest to existing (and potential) owners who wish to have a genuine interest in the development of Tesla vehicles and have a desire to be be aware of any potential issues that could compromise their safety or be detrimental to their ownership experience, financial or otherwise.

Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Suspension Issues: Owners Discuss Defective Parts

Nobody says Tesla doesn't have problems. In fact publicly posting about problems inevitably forces them to fix and learn faster.

Despite what some wish to believe, the very fact that there is an open, lively and meaningful debate about such issues is not a negative slur but a positive step towards (hopefully) elimination of these problems in future cars (Tesla or otherwise) encouraging development toward making what is undoubtedly a revolutionary car into an astoundingly brilliant one.

It is not the fact that there are these issues which is the problem, it is the manner in which they are or are not addressed by Tesla.

Perceived ignorance of such issues by brushing them under the carpet will achieve nothing. Failure by Tesla to acknowledge and take responsibility will only achieve mistrust, resentment by purchasers, a heavily tarnished company reputation with the consequential loss of brand loyalty. A very destructive attitude to implement.

As I have said many times previously, I have great admiration for what Tesla have done to catapult the transition into clean energy. I love the concept of their cars and what they bring into the world. The problem is not with the car, the problem is with the dynamics of the company and the way it treats their loyal supporters and customers, who without, they would not be where they are today or where they want to be tomorrow.

More on suspension woes.

They are made only at the Fremont plant – which would imply this safety procedure would extend to more markets.

Teslas' response....denied any issues with the suspension. Instead, it blamed Chinese drivers for the broken suspensions there.

As I posted previously...

Perceived ignorance of such issues by brushing them under the carpet will achieve nothing. Failure by Tesla to acknowledge and take responsibility will only achieve mistrust, resentment by purchasers, a heavily tarnished company reputation with the consequential loss of brand loyalty. A very destructive attitude to implement.

Little wonder Tesla have shut up shop with their PR dept, their PR is through the floor.

Last edited:
It seems Tesla at long last are now conceding and holding their hand up and recognising this as a safety issue and recalling model 'Y', no mention of the model 3 though which is essentially built using the same platform.

It's good to see a shift in their attitude and taking on-board accountability and their responsibility to their loyal customers.

A positive step indeed, I hope this continues to restore faith in owners/ potential owners.

Tesla Reaching Out To Model Y Owners About Loose Control Arm Fasteners

Looks like this has graduated to an official recall. 401 Model Ys potentially affected.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCAK-20V709-5149.pdf

HA- you beat me to it... I'm going to paste some of the details just so it shows up in search engines on the site:

Makes/Models/Model Years: TESLA/MODEL Y/2020
Mfr's Report Date: November 17, 2020
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V-709
Components: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 401

Problem Description: Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2020 Model Y vehicles. The bolts connecting the front upper control arm and steering knuckle may have not been properly tightened, allowing the upper control arm to detach from the steering knuckle.

Consequence: A detached upper control arm can cause the wheels to lean in or out, decreasing the driver's ability to steer and increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Tesla will notify owners, and dealers will inspect, and as necessary, tighten the bolts, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-20-31-012.