Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware! This can cause sudden acceleration.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded my classic Model S for an X with HW2, delivered 3 weeks ago. I had an incidence of dangerous sudden acceleration nearly caused an accident. This may be specific to new cars with HW2.

When cruise control of my Model X was disengage (but not turn off), it still remembered the previously set speed, and when the cruise control level flipped up, the vehicle accelerated to the speed. Two weeks ago, when I slowed down to about 20 mph to make a left turn, I accidentally flipped the cruise control level up (the turn signal level and cruise control lever are closely placed, and I only had the car for a week), the vehicle accelerated powerfully to the previously set speed (60 mph). I almost hit the car in front of me. If it happened in my garage or a parking lot, it would be one of those reported incidences.

I hope the new HW2 software update will solve the problem.

I don't want to be a smart ass but why is it alarming that turning the cruise control back on and choosing resume causes the cruise control to turn on and resume?

I think this complaint can be excused as it was explained the issue is that as a new driver it is easy to mistake the resume as the right turn signal. My reaction is that you should be cautious with any new car while you aren't familiar with the controls. I am not convinced there is a design flaw, if that is the conclusion.

Never had a problem with this. I've hit the wrong stock in loaner cars because they flipped them relative to where they are in my 2012 car. When I did the car started accelerating modestly and I simply tapped the brake to prevent it. No biggie.

It's not like the car accelerates anywhere near full power, nor is it difficult to stop, nor will this happen once you are remotely used to the car. It only happened to me because of the different loaner stock position and four years of learned habit.

My previous car would set speed at current speed not what it was the last time you were using. I think the X should also allow you to set speed each time you turn on. You can do resume if you want same speed. I too was just checking after software update and car took off while I was in town. No car ahead but still should start at existing speed.

My previous car would set speed at current speed not what it was the last time you were using. I think the X should also allow you to set speed each time you turn on. You can do resume if you want same speed. I too was just checking after software update and car took off while I was in town. No car ahead but still should start at existing speed.

Press down instead of up. I've never had a car that didn't have both a set and a resume.

Reactions: ABC2D
I traded my classic Model S for an X with HW2
You say "classic" model S, you mean the one where the position of the stalks are reversed from the current configuration? Could be just muscle memory of your old car that caused you to hit the cruise control?
I does sound like the OP inadvertently hit the cruise control stalk in his new X thinking it was the turn signal. This is certainly an issue when changing from the original style stalks to the newer style. I've done it myself.

In this case the cruise control stalk did exactly what it was supposed to do: attempted to resume the set cruise speed. As it was done "accidentally" (OP's word) then it certainly would be startling.

I does sound like the OP inadvertently hit the cruise control stalk in his new X thinking it was the turn signal. This is certainly an issue when changing from the original style stalks to the newer style. I've done it myself.

In this case the cruise control stalk did exactly what it was supposed to do: attempted to resume the set cruise speed. As it was done "accidentally" (OP's word) then it certainly would be startling.
Unless something has changed radically, you have to pull the cruise toward you to get "resume"; either up or down sets the current speed. The only way to get resume behavior would have been to try to flash the lights.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
A year ago, my new Model X surprised me when I lifted the cruise control because it is located at the same location as my 2012 Model S turn lever.

I appreciate the original engineering where Tesla has a positive push on/off for cruise control on the older Model S with a light that shows that the cruise control capability is "on".

The newer cruise control lever can cause unintended acceleration, however I have always noticed it and push the brake to stop the acceleration and turn off cruise control.

Never had a problem with this. I've hit the wrong stock in loaner cars because they flipped them relative to where they are in my 2012 car. When I did the car started accelerating modestly and I simply tapped the brake to prevent it. No biggie.

It's not like the car accelerates anywhere near full power, nor is it difficult to stop, nor will this happen once you are remotely used to the car. It only happened to me because of the different loaner stock position and four years of learned habit.

My experience is the same as this.

On my P85, resuming cruise is certainly a much milder experience (as it should be) than pressing the accelerator down. I will have to wait and see what happens on a P100D.

It can be startling of course if you didn't plan for it, as can the opposite - pressing the gear lever thinking it is the windscreen wipers and going into neutral in the middle of a crossing and then having to realize you need to press brake before engaging again... which has never ever happened to me... ;)

I think Tesla in general made an improvement when moving the cruise control downwards. It is less prominent there and I would argue more traditional. The gear lever, hmm, I might actually be glad to see it relocated away from the steering wheel. I mean, it is convenient sometimes, but also a bit risky... Not that I expect this to happen...

(Disclaimer: I know the gear lever and original cruise control placement are same as Mercedes Benz for a long time, so not exactly uncommon.)

I have also had the same experience, and though unsettling I've always recognized it as my error and braked to cut the power. However, I always give guest drivers a special warning to notice the grey speed indication on the instrument panel. I tell them that if they see 80 in gray and they are preparing to make a left turn at 25 mph, hitting the wrong lever can be horrifying, especially to someone unused to a high performance car.

I traded my classic Model S for an X with HW2, delivered 3 weeks ago. I had an incidence of dangerous sudden acceleration nearly caused an accident. This may be specific to new cars with HW2.

When cruise control of my Model X was disengage (but not turn off), it still remembered the previously set speed, and when the cruise control level flipped up, the vehicle accelerated to the speed. Two weeks ago, when I slowed down to about 20 mph to make a left turn, I accidentally flipped the cruise control level up (the turn signal level and cruise control lever are closely placed, and I only had the car for a week), the vehicle accelerated powerfully to the previously set speed (60 mph). I almost hit the car in front of me. If it happened in my garage or a parking lot, it would be one of those reported incidences.

I hope the new HW2 software update will solve the problem.
RTFM