Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful out there! [tesla accident]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the video he doesn't look like he's speeding at all.
As near as I can tell, the vehicle traveled about 230 feet (from the entry side of the intersection to the impact tree (25.749113940211892, -80.28493806980926) ) in what looks like less than 3 seconds based on the video (8:41:01 to 8:41:03.75 about). You can determine the location of the impact from the position of the tree with the distinct (old) scar, relative to the driveway, in the Twitter thread.

For 3 seconds, that's an average speed of 53mph over that interval, without a lot of precision on the time (which is important). The speed limit is 30mph. I would guess the car hit the bump (really a rise of the road he was on up to the intersection) at 60-70mph - but difficult to know precisely of course. And the exact times matter a lot for that average speed but it definitely does not exceed 3 seconds.

A lot of the speeds of accidents posted here are wildly exaggerated. In this case the estimates of speed in the thread seem very low, and I don't think I'm exaggerating with the above calculation. An accident where you hit an immovable tree at 50mph with a 4000 pound car, likely sideways, is going to be very serious.

The final speeds determined by the police will eventually be in the accident report.

It looks like the car scraped steel substantially on the pavement after launching into the air.

Very sad to see.

IMG_0805.PNG

Last edited:
A screenshot of the 3 as it passes the videographer. Looks like the car may have been lowered with custom wide wheels, which may have contributed to how it launched and pancaked the bottom when it landed, leading to what appears to be a battery pack failure. Not to mention the suspension could also have failed leading to the car veering off to the left after it squat landed.
1631811753062.jpeg

A screenshot of the 3 as it passes the videographer. Looks like the car may have been lowered with custom wide wheels, which may have contributed to how it launched and pancaked the bottom when it landed, leading to what appears to be a battery pack failure. Not to mention the suspension could also have failed leading to the car veering off to the left after it squat landed.
View attachment 710133
The video is too grainy and riddled with artifacts to deduce that. It looks like aero 18”s to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
I don't see any significant surface unevenness at the intersection that could cause the car to airborne unless hitting a road shoulder with the accelerator pedal floored all the way down to beat the change of traffic light signal.

2400_Alhambra_Cir_Intersection.jpg

It’s hard to see from straight on, also likely less obvious due to the height of the Google camera mast, but there is a significant rise, in addition to the standard crown of the road. If you hit this at 70mph (easily possible here) you’ll leave the ground. Which is what looks like happened. It wasn’t much of a hop. But enough.

EF718436-FC54-4EFB-A90A-F8D314179277.png

550FA21E-06DB-4ACB-83CF-4E4CC0AFBDCA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
There really wasn't much you could see in the video. A blurry Model 3 goes by person filming, goes through an intersection, (bounces), hits a tree, sparks fly.

edit: If you search with Google, "twitter tesla model 3 crash tree florida" you'll find one of the clips.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
The crossing road is the bigger road, and it's crowned. The driver was on a side street, and hitting the crown at speed was enough to launch the Tesla.
I think a lot of other factors are at play. The car was most likely lowered, with track mode on, hence all the tire smoke, lots of stupid choices made, check.

Videos are removed so we can expect some investigations are under way. I just hope this won't be another blame Tesla cuz, its Tesla thing.