Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be Careful Out There

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it goes without saying; however, be very, very, very careful with your car. I am on VIN number three and car number two.

My first VIN, 01540X disappeared from my account just before my delivery advisor called to say my car was in transit to my local service center on the east coast; I was never told what happened with the car. The second VIN, 01546X which was the first car was scheduled for delivery on April 28. On April 27 the delivery team drove the car into a pole damaging the driver’s side door, some of the sill below the passenger door and they even managed to nick and take some paint off of the left rear wheel. No big deal, right. They will just fix it with some new parts and we will be on the road in no time. Well, maybe not. Since Tesla damage the car they offered to order/build us a new car which they did. They also sent the damaged car off to their body shop for repair. The deal was we could take delivery of the new car or the repaired car if we wanted to get on the road even faster. The new car, VIN 0291XX was delivered on June 23; I still do not know if the damaged car has been repaired.

It appears that it is faster to build a new car and ship it to the east coast than it is to get parts and get the car repaired by a service center. So, be careful. If you or someone else damages your car plan on it taking months to get it repaired.

As a side note, we are thrilled with the car; it has been trouble free; and, we are just short of hitting the first 1,000 mile mark on our odometer (as a Tesla owner I may need to stop using the word hit; it make me want to go out into the parking lot and check on the car…).

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
It appears that it is faster to build a new car and ship it to the east coast than it is to get parts and get the car repaired by a service center.
Your new car wasn't necessarily built after the damaged one met its fate. My daughter placed her order during the rush at the end of June, and received a call confirming the car was ready within a few days. VIN 39k... I suspect your 29k VIN was already in inventory somewhere, as was hers..

But either way, congrats on finally getting the car!