Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful, park with your rear seat down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This window breaking has gone viral in San Francisco. Word on the street is that the police will not get involved. Believe it has come down from management that stealing from luxury cars is kind of a way to equalize things so the poor can have nice things too.

They will not prosecute, even if caught red handed. Roving bands of thieves work all the tourist and popular spots.

You can see broken glass all over the city. Any place where you park a nice car is subject to these attacks.

Smash and grab happens in LA to, but SF is ground zero.

Crooks will even watch you get out of your car. If you throw your back pack or lap top into your trunk, it will be gone before you return.

Even the glass repair shops are backed up with insurance claims.

This window breaking has gone viral in San Francisco. Word on the street is that the police will not get involved. Believe it has come down from management that stealing from luxury cars is kind of a way to equalize things so the poor can have nice things too.

They will not prosecute, even if caught red handed. Roving bands of thieves work all the tourist and popular spots.

You can see broken glass all over the city. Any place where you park a nice car is subject to these attacks.

Crooks will even watch you get out of your car. If you throw your back pack or lap top into your trunk, it will be gone before you return.

Breaking down San Francisco's car break-in epidemic

SF neighborhood, police powerless against car break-ins

Wheels of justice rolling in infamous SF car break-in case

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Can you tell us where these window breaks occurred? Thanks

That’s by the Westgate Shopping Center, Saratoga Ave (between 280 and 85). Very large shopping there. Husband was in that vicinity just this past Sunday. AMC movie theater is in the shopping center across the street and on the other side if the road is more shopping and dining.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had the most reported post in TMC history apparently because I said not nice things about the state of my birth.

We did this to ourselves Californians. When I mean we, I actually meant YOU.

I didn’t vote for the current state administration I assure you that.

Blame the folks who voted for prop 47 here in CA in 2014. Any crime less than $950 went from a felony to a misdemeanor and the police don't even want to investigate.

It also decriminalized pretty much any personal use of narcotics.

Someone please tell me they got the plates....
Probably wouldn't help. The thief's car is probably stolen or using stolen plates or has no plates at all.

In almost all cases of crime I hear about on Nextdoor and local news, it seems like they use stolen cars or just have "paper plates". I figure that's part of the purpose in stealing cars in the first place: to use it to commit crimes and be thus hard to trace since the owner isn't involved in the crime.

If the issue is the requirement to prove that the cars were locked when broken into, why aren't the police using stings/bait cars where they can control the variables (locked doors, value of merchandise stolen, etc.)?

because that would cut into the time they could be spent doing nothing else to protect the people and property they were sworn to, but then prevented from by gutless politicians?

The obvious solution to this is for car owners to band together and start organized window break-ins on police, judges, politicians, etc.

But this is not France, who am I kidding?