Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful, park with your rear seat down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good lawyer can argue exactly what you just posted. They only have to be better than the prosecuting attorney (which they always seem to be).

If they had not put a nice car there, the thief would have otherwise been unlikely to commit that crime.

Not saying I agree at all!!! I say string them up. Just being real unfortuntely.

side note: I miss To Catch a Predator! Stupid entrapment laws.

As Sentry mode gets more and more publicized in non-Tesla communities, I'm getting worried that thieves will become aware and take the USB drives with them once they are in the car. I'd be happy to pay a monthly subscription fee to have a cloud-based Sentry Mode TBH. Thoughts?

If the issue is the requirement to prove that the cars were locked when broken into, why aren't the police using stings/bait cars where they can control the variables (locked doors, value of merchandise stolen, etc.)?

Do you honestly think a cop or DA is going to spend a mili-second on an auto break-in in the Bay Area?

It’s a losing case and a waste of resources.

This is purely a political issue. Don’t look for common sense to prevail.

I saw both those videos on the news. I couldn't believe it when the camera car was broken into. I wouldn't drive my Tesla to San Francisco for anything. I parked in Martinez this morning and by chance the back seats were down and I think that's great advice. I always make sure nothing is visible in the car. . I forget to turn on the sentry most of the time. :-/

I saw both those videos on the news. I couldn't believe it when the camera car was broken into. I wouldn't drive my Tesla to San Francisco for anything. I parked in Martinez this morning and by chance the back seats were down and I think that's great advice. I always make sure nothing is visible in the car. . I forget to turn on the sentry most of the time. :-/

I think one of the releases not presently widely distributed has settings for Sentry Mode that should help. This should be a big improvement for many.

I have my car set with Lock on Away just so I don't have to pull out my phone when I leave the car. I prefer to have Sentry Mode come on after I've left the car so as not to immediately trigger a 10-minute video save with my presence leaving the car, so would love if there's some timed exit turn on feature.

FWIW I recently took a trip to SF. Parked in a secured parking garage and left the seats down. No problems.

I talked with the owner of the red model 3. Yes, his sentry mode activated (headlights), but for some reason his flash drive wasn't recording. He was still on 2019.8.5.
At the moment, sentry mode doesn’t really work well. You can see that it activated sentry mode but the alarm didn’t go off. The sensitivity of the alarm needs to be tuned according to the rear windows breaking. Most clips I see of window break ins aren’t setting off the alarm.

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe